a day that will live in infamy

a day that will live in infamy

December 7th, 2017, 4:21 pm #1

Yesterday, December 7, 1941—a date which will live in infamy—the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.
-Winston Churchill to President Roosevelt-
Many have forgotten over the years. This generation thinks of Pearl Harbor as a vacation destination.
Many can not tell you where Normandy is located on a map. Names like Saipan, Iwo Jima, Dunkirk, Salinero are meaningless to many today.
The battles of Crete, Midway, the Bulge, Stalingrad, Moscow and more are known but a few historians.
WWII had over a million American casualties. I have talked to students taking tours on the LST 325 that could not even tell me when WWII was fought or who fought who.
Freedom is not free. Take time today to pause and reflect on the freedoms you enjoy, paid for by our military.

December 7th, 2017, 8:42 pm #2

7 DEC 17 / 1411 Hrs
Early this morning I was a tour guide for about 15 3rd grade school students and their teacher on board the LST-325. As it was very cold with heavy wind off the Ohio River. I took them down to port steps side next to the bow ramp control room and gave them pre-tour briefing. I ask them if they knew what day it was, they all said Pear Harbor day day, so their teacher are doing a great job. After tour touring the cold stern, gun deck, the wheel house, i had them warm up in the Ward Room. Where I told them some funny war stories and held a Q and A with them. They were a great group, a good bunch of kids.They departed the LST with a better understanding of the WW II generation on the home front and the battlefield. Know from time to time we run into school kids who don't seem to know anything about our American history. Well when those kids take a tour of the LST-325 and depart, they got a good dose of history that they don't get in their school. Shipmates, this is the most important mission of the LST to bring history alive to to this generation of kids. Shipmates, you can be proud off the LST and its mission as with out you it won't happen. Take care SARGE

December 9th, 2017, 9:13 am #3

For years, when I'm walking off the ship as Sarge is walking on with a tour, I make the standard crack about "Don't tell a lotta lies Sarge!" His group always laughs and I can't really hear what Sarge is saying back but it sounds like something like go getta truck and hall yourself! Not sure what that means, but going forward.

When I am taking my tour on to the ship and Sarge and his tour is leaving, I usually ask his group how it went and always get a big hooorah and a lotta smiles. Then later on Sarge catches me in the ward room and I gotta listen to "Who's your daddy now?". So, I'm just mentioning this cuz there is plenty of trash talking outside of sports with Seabat and her Buckeyes.

But where I am really going with this is that we do take the opportunity to educate the folks. You look at your group and guess how much they know due to age. If there are a lot of kids, you figure they are not gonna know a lot about WWII but sometimes we are pleasantly surprised. And even a lot of the adults don't know more than the very basic facts. Let's face it, we are WWII nerds.

By the time I get to Sarge's Normandy display, it's easy to get dead silence as we talk about what happened on June 6th and the price paid. You can tell who knows that history and who doesn't by the look on their faces. And it is at this time that I talk about that day being the turning point in Europe and also the 3-day saga about Midway being the turning point in the Pacific, along with the Guadalcanal campaign. At this time I ask who has seen the movies "Longest Day" and "Midway"? Fortunately usually there are the few guys and some gals who have see them. I then suggest to the others that they get on Netflix and check them out.

Bottom line, if you didn't know the history when you came on, you do know it when you walk off. A big BZ to Sarge and all our tour guides!

Chris

December 13th, 2017, 4:37 pm #4

So many people do not know the history of this Country - or the world. Tour guides are not just talking to hear themselves. They are teachers and must know a myriad of facts regarding many wars, mechanics, procedures, countries, motivations and so on. I salute each and every one of you. The pay is great - you have helped teach America's next generation. You can't do better than that!

And Chris... no hassle about my Big 10 Championship Buckeyes, okay???? I don't talk trash. Well, most of the time I don't!

I spent Pearl Harbor Day with my Ohio LST/Amphibs family. It was wonderful to be with them and listen to their stories and reflections. I listen and learn every time I'm gathered with them. Listening to the Gold Crew, Sailing and Maintenance Crews, guests - every one has things to share and learn from. Thank you all!

Thanks Sarge and Chris for being faithful to LST 325!

December 14th, 2017, 6:25 am #5

For all you do behind the scenes!