Urw Crafting Demystified

Read-only archive. No posting allowed as of May 2017 due to new forums.

Urw Crafting Demystified

03 Apr 2015, 16:23 #1

To start with you need to accept that modding the Unreal World is very simple. Making things work the way you want can be the hardest part.

Once you have started the game on at least one survivor the text file "create_objects.txt" will be created in your unreal world folder.
This text file contains the "proper name" of all base items which can be made "crafted"
Here's an example of the first 3 lines of that text file:
-----------------
create_objects
-- previous constantobj start --
#0 Necklace
-----------------

To make a necklace you can simply open the file diy_glossary.txt, scroll down until you see:
[SUBMENU_START:lumber] below this statement add a new line and type:
.Necklace.

Save the file and now in the lumber section of the build menu you can make a necklace from nothing.
There are many "Options" which you CAN but are not forced to use or understand, these are covered in some detail elsewhere in other topics.
These "Options" allow you to add things like amount of effort, how long it takes to make, whether you need to be standing to do it,
ingredients and tools needed to make the item, these are to make the task seem more realistic but are not required.
=============================================

Menus:
In the example, we just plugged into an existing menu "Lumber" to place the task (note 1). You can add your own menu(s) to help keep track.
Open the menudef_additional.txt file in your URW directory, the file is documented as to it's usage.
Below all the "//" marks (which is a way to make comments in your files).
Add a new line:
.my mods. -Y- *MAKE*

and save the file. Now the make menu will have an empty menu called "my mods".
In order to put things on this menu you need to use menu tags in a crafting text file which have the same name you added above".my mods.":
[SUBMENU_START:my mods]

[SUBMENU_END:my mods]

These tags can be added to the diy_glossary.txt OR you can create a new text file like:
diy_mymods.txt
Edit the new file and add:
.Necklace.

save the file. Your game should now have a menu for "my mods" and in it should be a necklace task.

Note1: You can create your own diy_mymods.txt file and if you use existing menu tags eg:
[SUBMENU_START:lumber]
.Necklace.
[SUBMENU_END:lumber]

The game will read all diy files to find all instances of start and end for lumber in this example. This way you don't have to modify original game files.
============================================

OK Great so now I have a necklace but what I wanted isn't in the game....
Now we get back to Making things work the way you want can be the hardest part.

Let's say you want a... Mining pick! It doesn't exist how do I do that? You can call your item most anything but it must reference a real item in game.
Building on what we have, edit your build file:

.Necklace.
.Miners pick. "Stone"

and save your file. Now your menu will have both Necklace and Miners pick to build.
The Miners pick is created with the "Stone" as it's icon and properties. So logically to the game "Miners pick" is a 14 lb club type item. As that is what a Stone is.

From "create_objects.txt"
#329 Stone

Stone will be placed in inventory under under weapons, so "Miners pick" will land there also.
What if I want my Miners pick to be on the tool inventory? The base item "Shovel" may be more what you wanted.

.Necklace.
.Miners pick. "Shovel"

and save your file. Now your menu will have both Necklace and Miners pick to build.
The Miners pick is created with the "Shovel" as it's icon and properties. So logically to the game "Miners pick" is a 6 lb digging tool type item. As that is what a Shovel is.

#98 = Shovel
#99 = Wooden shovel
You could use either of the defined shovels as the base item. Each has it's own uniqueness.

Sometimes selecting the base reference item, function and weight can make "creation" a bit more challenging.
=====================================

Conflicts:
An item like "Arrow" can be made in game. It is defined in diy_glossary.txt
If you make a diy_ file and create item .Arrow.
The game only knows about one item "Arrow",
The game will search the diy_files until it finds the first .Arrow. entry, this diy_ files recipe for .Arrow. will be used no matter what menu the task may be listed on.

To avoid conflict it's a good habit to avoid reusing stock names:
Don't make
.Arrow.

Instead make
.Homing Arrow. "Arrow"

Well you can probably think of a far cooler name for it :P
This will allow you to have different recipes for the same item and make your troubleshooting much easier.

08 Apr 2015, 19:45 #2

Very helpfull, wow. I never even thought of getting into modding, but now, in a couple of simple steps and 15 min, I made my own crafting menus for all the wool/ linen clothing and iron weapons/ armour that I normally couldn't craft. Also some tools - might come in handy for roleplaying or "late game" purposes.. :)

thanks! :)

16 Aug 2015, 04:03 #3

This really helped me understand more how items work. Thank you.

01 Jan 2016, 17:37 #4

Awesome post! Now I can add some things I can't seem to get a hold of. I just have a few questions.

Can you change stats or quality on items?

For example, I can add .Ango. in the file and be able to make an Ango spear, but is there any way I can make it a Masterwork or will that be based off my crafting skills?

And can you modify things so that you could have a Scimitar with improved stats or is that handled elsewhere in the game?

01 Jan 2016, 17:50 #5

Jpall @ Jan 1 2016, 10:37 AM wrote: Awesome post! Now I can add some things I can't seem to get a hold of. I just have a few questions.

Can you change stats or quality on items?

For example, I can add .Ango. in the file and be able to make an Ango spear, but is there any way I can make it a Masterwork or will that be based off my crafting skills?

And can you modify things so that you could have a Scimitar with improved stats or is that handled elsewhere in the game?

In version 3.3 (currently in alpha 2 for members)
You can change the stats on a created item.

In current versions
You can make quality go up but need to use some options. "skill" options for the item eg:
.Ango. %35% *COMMON*

Common is set at 50% so the above would set the item craft skill at 85% per try, I have no idea what is needed for masterwork (skill level). You could use any high skill between *THESE*

In version 3.3 (currently in alpha 2 for members)
You can change/improve/reduce, create entirely new (overwrite most values) and add new graphics for your items.

01 Jan 2016, 19:59 #6

Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply! I'll have to tinker in the files because I have a dozen or so more questions that I can probably figure out if I open the file and look at specifics and alter them, so I'll not waste your time with all of them now! I'll try to save my difficult questions for later tonight! :D