Them Bones Then...

Read-only archive. No posts as of May 2017 due to new forums.

Them Bones Then...

27 Mar 2017, 13:54 #1

So we're adding (those long-awaited) bones to be harvested from carcasses. There are lots of bones and lots factors related to them, but we'll get going with simplified system and see where the availability of this new material gets us.

For now bones can be harvested from almost any carcass except for the birds and very small creatures. (Let's see later on if its worthwhile to add very little and bird bones as well.)
Harvested bones appear on the ground when the carcass has been completely utchered for meat. Currently the bones you get are imagined to be the long bones (eg. leg bones) containing the marrow. (We'll probably set each carcass to yield 4-8 of such bones.) The bone size naturally varies depending on the carcass.

Bones appear in your inventory as tools but have only little usage on their own. Dogs like bones and as they are marrow-containing ones it's also nutritiously wortwhile to feed your dogs with bones. Otherwise bones serve the best as trophies and new raw materials to be utilized via modding if you like.

Well, I'm thinking of adding bone marrow roasting recipe, or a possibility to add marrow bones to pots and boilings to make them more nutritious - but those can wait for a little longer. With carcasses on the table we'll be now probably continuing with skulls and teeth.
- Sami, UnReal World creator, sami@unrealworld.fi

This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

27 Mar 2017, 14:07 #2

Bones appear in your inventory as tools but have only little usage on their own.  Dogs like bones and as they are marrow-containing ones it's also nutritiously wortwhile to feed your dogs with bones. Otherwise bones serve the best as trophies and new raw materials to be utilized via modding if you like.
YES! My poor hungry dogs won't complain too much anymore!
Well, I'm thinking of adding bone marrow roasting recipe,  or a possibility to add marrow bones to pots and boilings to make them more nutritious - but those can wait for a little longer.
Bone marrow is very fatty, so it's going to be extremely useful. I love it.

27 Mar 2017, 14:09 #3

One question: would bones stay on the ground when the carcass rots away?

It would be extremely cool, methinks.

27 Mar 2017, 14:17 #4

koteko @ Mar 27 2017, 02:09 PM wrote: One question: would bones stay on the ground when the carcass rots away?

Yes, the bones (and antlers) will remain when the carcass rots so marks of long ago passed/killed-and-eaten animals may now be found in the wild.

27 Mar 2017, 15:09 #5

I am already envisaging a little elephants graveyard. Or their counterpart from UW.

27 Mar 2017, 15:26 #6

Sami Maaranen @ Mar 27 2017, 02:17 PM wrote: Yes, the bones (and antlers) will remain when the carcass rots so marks of long ago passed/killed-and-eaten animals may now be found in the wild.
Excellent! :)

Would some scavengers eat/be attracted to bones, like the dogs do?

It would be interesting to kill an elk, skin&butcher, and leave a trap close to the skeleton to come back to in a few days..

27 Mar 2017, 18:52 #7

Sami, will we get tusks from the wild boar in the game? (Ivory!)

27 Mar 2017, 23:54 #8

Sami Maaranen @ Mar 27 2017, 10:17 AM wrote:
koteko @ Mar 27 2017, 02:09 PM wrote: One question: would bones stay on the ground when the carcass rots away?

Yes, the bones (and antlers) will remain when the carcass rots so marks of long ago passed/killed-and-eaten animals may now be found in the wild.
Offal... offal is the word I'm looking for! ... Bones and Offal.

28 Mar 2017, 18:10 #9

Yeah, the start of bone tools, like needles, buttons, maybe arrowheads, or the modding of a brittlebone sword of doom, which breaks after the first strike!

and a step forward of the skull fence of the devil lair!

bone furniture? a bone club! bone drumsticks, bone flutes, bone chopsticks! and bone ornaments, and other nice and creepy things!
Post Tenebras Spero Lucem

29 Mar 2017, 02:44 #10

I'd love a bone necklace. What about throwing bones as part of rituals? Could we carve runes into a bone to carry around for luck?

JT2

30 Mar 2017, 18:34 #11

FISHING HOOKS!!!!!!!!

God do we ever need fishing hooks!

Lost, wounded and bleeding, alone in the woods with nothing but the rags on your body and a small knife....

You stumble through the woods looking for a source of water so you can wash the dirt from your wounds, when you run across a decomposing pile of bones!

YES! The Spirits have granted you salvation!

You can now carve a fishing hook and make a fishing pole from with the cords you cut from your ragged clothing. Salvation at last...no more ineffective attempts at spear fishing while you slowly starve to death.

30 Mar 2017, 19:57 #12

JT2 @ Mar 30 2017, 06:34 PM wrote: FISHING HOOKS!!!!!!!!

God do we ever need fishing hooks!

Lost, wounded and bleeding, alone in the woods with nothing but the rags on your body and a small knife....

You stumble through the woods looking for a source of water so you can wash the dirt from your wounds, when you run across a decomposing pile of bones!

YES! The Spirits have granted you salvation!

You can now carve a fishing hook and make a fishing pole from with the cords you cut from your ragged clothing. Salvation at last...no more ineffective attempts at spear fishing while you slowly starve to death.
yes.

31 Mar 2017, 15:24 #13

Hmm.. hehe... hot bones! :)
If I'd now start to consider and research all the hundreds of items you can make out of bone we'll probably get to adding skulls and in the autumn then. Bad schedule, luckily there's modding, and you can turn bones into personal preferences. (Aren't fishing hooks and some other bone works possible with Buoidda's Mod already?)
Some of the most important vanilla bone items may appear in this process, but we'll see. Now blunt answers to some questions:

koteko:
Would some scavengers eat/be attracted to bones, like the dogs do?
I'm not sure, and haven't considered, but I'd imagine the flesh is more interesting than bones. We can think about this later on.

davidor:
Sami, will we get tusks from the wild boar in the game? (Ivory!)
I haven't really yet made up my mind of what skulls and teeth to feature for starters. However, wild boards weren't on my initial list. We'll see. I'm mostly concentrating on skulls and teeth which have had some deeper cultural meaning in the historical context.

PAKA:
What about throwing bones as part of rituals? Could we carve runes into a bone to carry around for luck?
I'm quite sure bones will play a role in some new spells/rituals. For example bear teeth alone have been carried for hunting luck.

31 Mar 2017, 15:47 #14

Buiodda's mod allows you to make a fishing rod (including hooks). However, it's quite a lot of work to make bone hooks with his mod because it requires quite a few things as source material, so it's not something a fresh character can easily do.

I'd like to see more aggressive scavenger removal of dead carcasses, though, as they currently tend to lie around for years (in particular all those elks that drown as the ice gets thin). A positive side effect would be the gradual removal of all the Njerp corpses littering the forests after a while...

When it comes to animals eating bones, I suspect wolves might crack larger bones to get at the marrow when it's fresh enough, and bears might occasionally do the same, but there are no hyenas or jackals in Finland, so bones would probably be degraded mostly by insects and fungi. Gluttons might be candidates for some bone eating though (I'm just guessing here).

31 Mar 2017, 20:33 #15

PALU @ Mar 31 2017, 03:47 PM wrote: Buiodda's mod allows you to make a fishing rod (including hooks). However, it's quite a lot of work to make bone hooks with his mod because it requires quite a few things as source material, so it's not something a fresh character can easily do.

I'd like to see more aggressive scavenger removal of dead carcasses, though, as they currently tend to lie around for years (in particular all those elks that drown as the ice gets thin). A positive side effect would be the gradual removal of all the Njerp corpses littering the forests after a while...

When it comes to animals eating bones, I suspect wolves might crack larger bones to get at the marrow when it's fresh enough, and bears might occasionally do the same, but there are no hyenas or jackals in Finland, so bones would probably be degraded mostly by insects and fungi. Gluttons might be candidates for some bone eating though (I'm just guessing here).
You know PALU, there is already a whole lot of animals than eat bones in the real life. For example, antlers (and bones in general) are eaten by red squirrels en masse. Even the elks themselves eat old antlers, probably to reclaim the minerals used to create them. People collecting antlers and bones know that it should be done quickly, before squirrels and other citters are engaged.

First video I've found of the gnawing squirrels (but there is more).https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0xm5PDGNOA

Bones are also eaten for example by hares, corvids (there is raven in UrW) or mustelids (there's many of them in UrW, with glutton being the biggest) if they don't have enough calcium and maybe other nutrients. Glutton is a good example of all-eater, it eats even rotten carcasses, and has no problems with bones at all. When it eats whole carcass (often with teeth) it doesn't really need to eat some additional old skeleton left by humans. But when there's not enough prey, and gluttons need to consume berries and plants to survive, they will eat bones all right, to get the minerals.

Generally the meat eaters eat left-over bones if they have not enough prey, and plant eaters (for example rabbits or squirrels) eat it when they have a chance, especially when there's low level of calcium in soil. Antlers are eaten by everyone, mammals and birds, vegetarian and carnivore alike, because they are rich also in protein (bones have proteins too, just not as much).

Anyway, it's good to see bones/antlers included. I hope my character will be able to make some scrimshaw, to immortalise his epic deeds.