Tampere City Rarities

Read-only archive. No posts as of May 2017 due to new forums.

Tampere City Rarities

25 May 2016, 17:19 #1

Me and Erkka went to Tampere city yesterday for a special occasion. To meet staff of the upcoming Finnish Museum of Games for talks and interviews about a certain game.

Yeah, that’s right, there’s going to be Museum of Games opening in Finland in 2017, and UnReal World is one of the titles selected to the exhibition. The visit included also an interview to be archived for the future, for the future researchers - and generations. So I guess we are officially preserved now :)
It was a nice and interesting day, with nice and interesting company. (Greetings to the lovely museum staff!)

The Finnish Museum of Games tells the story of how digital gaming in Finland started, how it developed over the years and how it made it to where it is now. Visions and plans about the concept and presentation of the exhibition sounds so very fascinating to me. You better take a look at Suomen Pelimuseo / The Finnish Museum of Games website (brief english info also available) and go see the exhibition for yourself in 2017.

And finally, here's a rare exhibit of UnReal World devs in urban environment. (Well, it’s not that uncommon, just rarely documented.)
The Finnish Museum of Games will open in the Vapriikki Museum Centre at Tampere in January 2017.

- Sami, UnReal World creator, sami@unrealworld.fi

This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

25 May 2016, 18:13 #2

why does Erkka looks worried? cool photo btw!
Oli hyvä päivä, oli paha päivä, tulee vielä päivä jolloin kuolen kumminkin.

25 May 2016, 20:18 #3

why does Erkka looks worried?
"People think I'm insane because I am frowning all the time" sings Ozzy :P

Hehe, but actually, in the picture I'm not worried - just thinking about the history and gazing to the future :)
- Erkka
UrW co-designer
www.enormouselk.com

Lin

25 May 2016, 21:34 #4

This made me happy. :) So great that Finland is doing this!

Games preservation is such a fascinating topic, what with the speed that tech is moving on and becoming obsolete and with gaming companies/dev teams often sprouting and disappearing really fast. I'm glad that lately more and more people are talking about and trying to be active in preserving gaming history. And having that happen at state level is usually the most efficient and long term effective way to do it. So here's hoping more countries will catch on.

25 May 2016, 22:58 #5

Have to keep that in mind for next year. Maybe I'll get a chance to take a look at the exhibit, if I happen to be going down south at somepoint. :)

26 May 2016, 08:41 #6

Tervetuloa Tampereelle :D

The Finnish Museum for Games made a great choice by including you. But how does the 'preservation' part work when UrW is still very much in active development? ;)

Very excited to visit the museum just for UrW, tbh.

26 May 2016, 23:03 #7

that's wonderful news guys! congratulations. it must be very exciting to know that your work will soon be in a museum! I hope one day I can come and visit it.

28 May 2016, 09:18 #8

khalme @ May 26 2016, 08:41 AM wrote: Tervetuloa Tampereelle :D

The Finnish Museum for Games made a great choice by including you. But how does the 'preservation' part work when UrW is still very much in active development? ;)

Very excited to visit the museum just for UrW, tbh.
Milestones of archivements in Developement, the various stages it has undergone through the Centuries. ( HaHa i love that wording here :lol: )
the First Libary releases and simliar would come up my Mind which "needs" tobe preserved
read my post with a smile if you feel harassed from me/ my words.
i'm just messing around from time to time, without a bad intention, while to try to help out.

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel I7-3770 3,4ghz, Mainboared: Asrock Z77 Pro³, GPU: Geforce GTX 760, SSD: Samsung 850 Pro, Sound: Onboard

30 May 2016, 20:57 #9

I've read the english info page. It sounds like a nice place for a gamer to feel at home. It's also awesome that they'll be giving you guys a spot in their exhibits. Although future researches might be a bit confused at the concept of squirrel hides and why you might be hoarding them. :)

31 May 2016, 09:32 #10

Enjoayble replies and comments everyone. Thanks. This is indeed exciting.

As a side note, InkTank blog posted today an interesting related article:
http://inktank.fi/9-important-finnish-v ... s-history/

Finn or not, I'm sure you can find some familiar titles mentioned.

06 Jun 2016, 02:11 #11

Sami, I love that shirt. I might have to trade my fine stag fur shirt for one like that... :lol:

07 Jun 2016, 11:44 #12

stormwolf442 @ Jun 6 2016, 02:11 AM wrote: Sami, I love that shirt. I might have to trade my fine stag fur shirt for one like that... :lol:
heh. Nice. It's a shirt I just got from somebody, hard to say where to get them officially -- but if another comes my way I'll let you know :)

07 Jun 2016, 16:36 #13

It's a shirt I just got from somebody, hard to say where to get them officially
Well, I'm not completely sure, but it looks like a Finnish classic - 'tasaraita' by Marimekko. And since Marimekko also has some international distribution, I'd guess just googling 'tasaraita marimekko' might find something. Although, blue-white might be the most common color variant.
- Erkka
UrW co-designer
www.enormouselk.com

22 Jun 2016, 11:23 #14

Hey, that's really great !

Even if it is modest in terms of fame, I really feel the Unrealworld is an important testimony of Suomi's culture throughout the world.

I reckon that between Cave flyers, UnrealWorld and lakeview cabin, there is really something special in finnish video games !

28 Jul 2016, 15:40 #15

Damned ! I was trying to convince friends visiting Tampere right now to go to this museum, until I realised that it wasn't opened yet.

Too bad...