Summertime - And There Went June...

Read-only archive. No posts as of May 2017 due to new forums.

Summertime - And There Went June...

05 Jul 2016, 18:35 #1

Well, well, well..there went June, without a single post. Forum followers may have noticed some wrestling with bugs, but besides of that my time for coding has been surprisingly limited. '
All too good weather, all too numerous real life events. Some travelling, some outdoor adventures, attending to a music festival, and playing three DJ gigs.
That's a little something the june was about.

Erkka writes a little something about the latest DJ:ing and related event: Erkka's Blog: Kuopio Art and Dance

..and even though the exact midsummer went already, I'll post a pic how that nightless night appeared up here around 01:00 AM. The sun sets and rises practically at the same time.

Let's see what comes of July. I hope everyone's having a good summer so far.
- Sami, UnReal World creator, sami@unrealworld.fi

This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

05 Jul 2016, 21:41 #2

I'm happy that you're enjoying the nice summer weather!
That's a beautiful picture, and it reminds me of when I visited
Alaska in June a few years ago. There was just 2 or 3 hours
of dimness that was considered "night". But your constant
sunlight is much more cool.

Do you find that you don't want sleep very much?

05 Jul 2016, 21:52 #3

How warm was it over there? Here in Sweden we had amazing (almost always 20 °C+) weather during June, and it has kept going. Only last week we had some rain...

06 Jul 2016, 00:59 #4

hahaha omg Sami, you DJ too? Just when I thought I couldn't love you any more (dat platonic, internet stranger kind of love)

set list or it didn't happen!

EDIT: wait, OH SHIP!

07 Jul 2016, 18:40 #5

JEB Davis @ Jul 5 2016, 09:41 PM wrote: I'm happy that you're enjoying the nice summer weather!
That's a beautiful picture, and it reminds me of when I visited
Alaska in June a few years ago. There was just 2 or 3 hours
of dimness that was considered "night". But your constant
sunlight is much more cool.

Do you find that you don't want sleep very much?
Yeah, that's the effect - you don't want to sleep that much because of all the light and outdoors possibilities. It gets more severe the norther you go as the night really diminishes to non-existent. Been in the Lapland at arctic circle latitude one summer there it really got me.

07 Jul 2016, 18:42 #6

Drakendrengi @ Jul 5 2016, 09:52 PM wrote: How warm was it over there? Here in Sweden we had amazing (almost always 20 °C+) weather during June, and it has kept going. Only last week we had some rain...
Sounds about the same. Around 20 celsius and up to 25 during the hottest days, but we've got decent amount of rain and thunder too between the dry and sunny periods.

07 Jul 2016, 18:51 #7

evilnancyreagan @ Jul 6 2016, 12:59 AM wrote: hahaha omg Sami, you DJ too? Just when I thought I couldn't love you any more (dat platonic, internet stranger kind of love)

set list or it didn't happen!

EDIT: wait, OH SHIP!
Hehe. Nice! But yep, I've been DJ:ing also. For years. Occasionally.

Sets are pretty much improvised on the fly, but hmm...
There was lots of finnish stuff but to name a few tracks people may know I remember playing "Light My Fire" disco/funk cover by Baccara, "Lambada" by Carioca, "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (theme)" by Morricone, "Got The Time" cover by Anthrax, "Smells like teen spirit" and "Negative creep" by Nirvana. Basically worked my from disco/funk/latino stuff to proge/trash/grunge stuff.

07 Jul 2016, 19:52 #8

You should record your set and upload to soundcloud. Would love to hear it :)

11 Jul 2016, 02:04 #9

For UnReal World programmers going on a hike is research and immersion :P

12 Jul 2016, 12:23 #10

Bearhugger @ Jul 7 2016, 07:52 PM wrote: You should record your set and upload to soundcloud. Would love to hear it :)
Actually, now that you mention it, I think the mixer output was actually recorded on the scene so if people really want I can dig my set up and put it available.

14 Jul 2016, 06:40 #11

Sami Maaranen @ Jul 12 2016, 12:23 PM wrote:
Bearhugger @ Jul 7 2016, 07:52 PM wrote: You should record your set and upload to soundcloud. Would love to hear it  :)
Actually, now that you mention it, I think the mixer output was actually recorded on the scene so if people really want I can dig my set up and put it available.
I am with bearhugger! I would love to hear some Enormous Elk music!

18 Jul 2016, 17:32 #12

Alright, as requested by (small) audience I've grabbed the particular DJ set and put it available to download from here:
http://www.unrealworld.fi/material/DJing-2016-06-29.ogg

It's not that pro recording. Mic channel wasn't captured so there are few pauses instead of given speaks. The latter part of the recording was corrupt so the set fades out during the last song. And the dancers kept bouncing the needle a lot during Smells Like Teen Spirit. 100% vinyl music. Good listening for those who go for checking out this curiosity.

21 Jul 2016, 02:12 #13

Thank you Sami, that helped me rock out! :D