Stopping Some Time And Trap related Abuses

Read-only archive. No posts as of May 2017 due to new forums.

Stopping Some Time And Trap related Abuses

27 Feb 2017, 17:16 #1

In addition to polishing and fixing the existing features a few additions are also to be squeezed into the shortly upcoming 3.40 stable update. These two will make a little difference to gameplay for some.

Code: Select all

- added: trapped animals will eventually die 

Depending on their nutrition and overall physical condition it usually takes from few days to a week for a trapped animal to perish.

- adjusted: craft and task times calculated more independently to overcome time-related abuses

Previously you could predict quality of crafts and success of tasks from the time required to
        complete them. A shorter time meant greater success for example in case of crafting,
        hideworking or rod fishing. 
           Now the time taken is calculated independently although still naturally based on the applicable 
        skill. In general higher skill mastery level is still prone to get things done faster, but it's not 
        possible to predict the outcome from the required time anymore. 
The latter issue was discussed here in case you aren't a familiar abuser already:
Suggestions: Stop Time-related Abuses
- Sami, UnReal World creator, sami@unrealworld.fi

This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

JT2

03 Mar 2017, 16:34 #2

While you are adjusting things, can you fix making boards from logs?

There is no way you can make multiple boards from a log, with a handaxe, in 2 to 3 hours.

I don't know how you can make boards from a log with just an axe in the first place. Have you ever seen anyone make a board using an axe?

Perhaps you could get one board from a log in 2 to 3 hours, if you had a saw of some sort.

Personally, I would love to be able to make my own lumber myself in real life, but the only solutions I have seen are fairly expensive chainsaw setups, and I can't justify the costs of such a setup.

03 Mar 2017, 16:55 #3

There is no way you can make multiple boards from a log, with a handaxe, in 2 to 3 hours.

I don't know how you can make boards from a log with just an axe in the first place. Have you ever seen anyone make a board using an axe?
Well, yes, 2 - 3 hours might be a little bit too fast, but that depends on the size and quality of the tree trunk being worked on.

Anyhow, I've seen it being done in real life. And I'd like to try it myself this spring - if so, I'll post pictures. Basically, the procedure is to first split the log in half, then each half again to half. Which gives you four 1/4 pieces of a log. Then you start splitting those, kind of diagonally.

If the tree trunk is not crooked and doesn't have that many branches, splitting boards is surprisingly fast, once you get those 1/4 pieces.

I have pictures of the same idea, only working with a lot thinner pieces of wood.
- Erkka
UrW co-designer
www.enormouselk.com

JT2

04 Mar 2017, 02:21 #4

Is the log splitting done with a bunch of wedges and and a sledgehammer (or woodmaul)? I can't envision splitting a log without the use of a few wedges. That is what I have used in the past when I had to split logs.

Perhaps the game should require the use of wedges and big hammers in order to make boards? It would be more realistic that being able to make a board with a single handaxe.

04 Mar 2017, 06:45 #5

Yes, but the wooden wedges end up being destroyed in the process. So they are make-shift use-once tools. And usually you can make them on the go, using branches and other left-over material lying around. So, my personal opinion is that considering the game playability, it would be a bit silly to require the player to craft single-use wedges before splitting a log. Now it is assumed that the character does that automatically anyway.

Yet, you are right - starting from a log the whole process of splitting probably takes longer than mere 2-3 hours, especially if one is using a single handaxe only. (It becomes faster and easier if you can use two or three axes. And one can always use the blunt side of the axe to hammer the wooden wedges)
- Erkka
UrW co-designer
www.enormouselk.com

JT2

04 Mar 2017, 14:43 #6

Wow, I never considered the use of single-use wooden wedges!

Shows how much my mind is stuck using modern technology.

Thanks for the replies Erkka! Very enlightening!

07 Mar 2017, 14:04 #7

JT2 @ Mar 3 2017, 04:34 PM wrote: While you are adjusting things, can you fix making boards from logs?

Perhaps you could get one board from a log in 2 to 3 hours, if you had a saw of some sort.
Yeah, it's indeed far too quick and easy to make boards. This and many other unrealistic production times originally came from the fact that tasks aren't pausable, and back when they were first introduced forced game pauses eg. when spotting an animal were frequent.

I've always imagined that wooden wedges made on the scene are used in the process, but of course the game doesn't reflect or tell about that in any way. Erkka already explained the actual board making process, and in addition here's one video to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_kZ6Y6r29U

I'm occupied (and adjusting) too many other things to really turn focus on boards production for the next patch but they surely would need some love. If this is not on suggestions forum already conversation could be started there as well. That's the archive I'll browse when picking up "what now/next" kind of things.
- Sami, UnReal World creator, sami@unrealworld.fi

This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.