Spells, New Spells, New Spells Screen

Read-only archive. No posts as of May 2017 due to new forums.

Spells, New Spells, New Spells Screen

21 Apr 2017, 10:51 #1

We've added them bones, skulls and teeth -- and the next logical improvements concerned the overhaul of spells screen, adding of new spells and starting to give up the old ritual system for good. That's what's been on the table, now with results to show and describe. Here's draft but verbose news of the upcoming changes. Screenshot to be found at the bottom.

Code: Select all

- overhauled: ritual screen [F4] -> "Spells and magic means" screen

It's now known as "Spells and magic means" screen and all the new spells are listed there as well.
        "New spells" refers to spells featured in version 3.40, which are learned within quests and performed
        by following the instructions given in spell description by using the common game mechanics
        and actions. 

Previously you could view new spell descriptions only from the quest journal, but now it's all available 
        within the spells screen. Whenever a new spell is learned it will also appear in this new list of spells.

Spells screen also lists some relevant "old spells" which we've had in use for ages and which are performed
        automatically upon selection. However, some of the "old spells" have been removed completely to
        bring the existence of magic means to our desired new level. 

Bringing the selector on a any spell in the list displays its information dialog. If necessary, a selection
        is then made by mouse click or enter. In addition, there are also hotkeys for quick spell selection. 
        In case of the new manually and mechanically performed spells the spell selection merely shows the spell
        description and instructions to follow in order to perform the spell. 
        The old spells (eg. blood-stanching incantation) are colored differently and automatically put to action 
        upon selection. 

- removal of old spell system, and tweaking of the existing:

* feature of periodically learning rituals is removed, related messages kept and improved

Now new spells can be learned only from NPCs within quests. 
          Notice that the good old occasional messages regarding how you feel about your surroundings or presence of 
          the spirits are still featured. (Eg. "You feel pleasant.") 
          Moreover, there's wider range of these spiritworld relationship messages now and they may vary depending on
          if the pleased or angered spirits are forest or water folk.

* most of the old rituals are removed

We've saved only a few relevant rituals from the old days, and we are happy with that.
          Some of the old rituals were seriously outdated and unbalanced in many ways. 
          In case of migrated characters some old rituals are replaced with the new (3.40 ->) spells. 

- added: new spells for new characters

Upon character creation some of the new spells are now randomly assigned for a new character. 
        Depending on the culture the given spells are emphasized on either hunting or fishing, or both.
        Characters usually start with three spells, and the spells screen is shown during character creation 
        just like before.
Here's the new spells screen with quite a bit of spells known. Hovering the selector over the first spell shows the description.
- Sami, UnReal World creator, sami@unrealworld.fi

This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

21 Apr 2017, 15:50 #2

The ritual skill is now officially the magic skill

21 Apr 2017, 16:38 #3

This is so great. You're awesome, Sami!

21 Apr 2017, 16:53 #4

item 'g' might read easier as 'foxes come to the bait'.

And using 'make' instead of 'making' also reads better.

21 Apr 2017, 18:00 #5

I like the general direction things are heading, and my comments are nitpicks in the margin:

I miss replacements for the 3 old spells I currently use regularly:
- Permission to fell a tree: I find it has an "authentic" feel about it (not that I'm in a position to judge).
- Sacrifice for a felled animal (Likewise).
- Sacrifice for a catch of fish (or net caught fish if the rod fisherman's sacrifice is a regular one, rather than once per year, but rod catch sacrifices are tricky, as you often get only at most one fish: fish cuts as a result of cleaning fish would make that a lot easier to handle, but that's probably stuff for other development).

The rituals in the list shown contain little that's geared towards satisfying the forest spirits in particular (bears are not caught very often, but the ritual seems to show the importance of handling those great spirits correctly, which I definitely like).

21 Apr 2017, 23:02 #6

loved it <3

22 Apr 2017, 07:40 #7

PALU @ Apr 21 2017, 07:00 PM wrote: I like the general direction things are heading, and my comments are nitpicks in the margin:

I miss replacements for the 3 old spells I currently use regularly:
- Permission to fell a tree: I find it has an "authentic" feel about it (not that I'm in a position to judge).
- Sacrifice for a felled animal (Likewise).
- Sacrifice for a catch of fish (or net caught fish if the rod fisherman's sacrifice is a regular one, rather than once per year, but rod catch sacrifices are tricky, as you often get only at most one fish: fish cuts as a result of cleaning fish would make that a lot easier to handle, but that's probably stuff for other development).

The rituals in the list shown contain little that's geared towards satisfying the forest spirits in particular (bears are not caught very often, but the ritual seems to show the importance of handling those great spirits correctly, which I definitely like).
I think the character in the screenshot doesn't know all available spells..

22 Apr 2017, 08:56 #8

You're probably correct, plotinus, but I wanted to voice my concerns sooner rather than later.

The screen mostly shows "gimme" rituals and has fairly few "thanks, here's your cut" ones.

22 Apr 2017, 13:06 #9

Here's my take on the list:
a - some creepy bear voodoo thing
b - birches love fires
c - ping the bear trap
d - hold still ya dang varmint
e - what's that spirits? More rope? OK.
f - your trap has yet to reach maximum foxiness
g - bait the bait
h - wabit tracks! Good place to hunt wabbit!
i - I can make this tree float a lot better
j - blood for the trout god!
k - [relieve yourself in the lake]
l - I just doubled the hooks on my fishing line!
m - good thing I mended the holes in my net
n - just wanted to let the spirits know that. No pressure.
o - Guybrush? How long have you been under water?
p - or it gets the hose again
q - please stop leaking, body
r - aka the mercy strike

22 Apr 2017, 16:57 #10

What will happen to characters in existing games?

Are we looking at an incompatible update and have to restart?

22 Apr 2017, 19:01 #11

From Sami's post: "In case of migrated characters some old rituals are replaced with the new (3.40 ->) spells. "

22 Apr 2017, 21:08 #12

Thanks Palu.

Saami, I also like how the fishing rituals are renamed. Less english language confusion of what to do when.

23 Apr 2017, 00:22 #13

oh minor annoyance in the time to takes do do some of them

Permission to fell a tree for instance is a short poem while knocking on a tree but takes my toon 10 minutes to perform.

23 Apr 2017, 08:24 #14

Apart from possibly being removed, the ritual may very well take 10 minutes to actually perform beyond the indication given directly by UrW: Knock on the tree here. Wait. Knock on the tree there. Wait. Dance around the tree while doing shooing motions. Wait to allow the spirit of the tree to pick up its belongings and move out. [The motions are completely made up and probably have no relation to how they're supposed to be performed].
Also, performing the ritual is Easy work, which means you recover some fatigue when cutting down multiple trees, and during winter, in particular, you need to rest anyway.

23 Apr 2017, 17:08 #15

I never even considered the dude would need to gather his things.

This from a fella who builds 'gnome homes' in my travels. A ring of 5 rocks making a U. 1-2 stones on top as a roof. The open part of the U is the door to the 'gnome home'.