Progress With Quests And Elk Spotting

Read-only archive. No posts as of May 2017 due to new forums.

Progress With Quests And Elk Spotting

11 Aug 2016, 16:35 #1

The scattered summer days go by, and the main development focus and working hours still remain in implementing quests. The progress is slower and more demanding than imagined, but what can you do. You just gotta bear with me, and I'll try to bear all that thinking, reading, writing, and coding. In addition to mundane quests we're trying to get a good handful of most characteristic phenomenons and worldview related quests featured. Can't really post much news about all of it, but as small news are better than no news at all I'll let you know that just last night a quest related to this phenomenon has been added:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mets%C3%A4npeitto

After closing down the development environment I got a feeling of going elk spotting at the area where those creatures pleasantly surprised me not too long ago:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/UrW_forum/in ... topic=7847
I've actually been wandering there by night ever since the incident, but with no more elk encounters.

But last night. Although I felt quite tired and would have rather gone to bed the feeling and urge didn't ease. To go elk spotting you must, Sami. Alright then. This time I grabbed a video camera with me and walked down the sandy road at the spot. And the urge was indeed something to listen to.

There was young elk resting in long hay and bushes just beside the road. And I had already passed it when it jumped up an ran. Quickly pushed rec, turned around and aimed the camera at the target. Its' head kept bouncing among the raspberry bushes for awhile and then it disappeared into vegetation. I quickly figured out the possible escape route and kept filming, and oh yes, it came where I thought it would. It stopped at the edge of the forest, listening for awhile, then went away. Later on I spotted it further away, and we kept observing each others from the safe distance. Me watching and filming, it listening and smelling the air. Finally I had to leave the scene because the night and darkness fell. It stayed there. And I'm sure we'll meet again one day.

Here's the footage for you to see:
https://youtu.be/hkn1ybp8leE
- Sami, UnReal World creator, sami@unrealworld.fi

This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

14 Aug 2016, 05:03 #2

Thats amazing Sammi! hey are there Bears in those forests? if there are all these Elk maybe them can attract Bears to the area and it would be unsafe to you to wander though there...
Oli hyvä päivä, oli paha päivä, tulee vielä päivä jolloin kuolen kumminkin.

14 Aug 2016, 19:50 #3

Fahom @ Aug 14 2016, 05:03 AM wrote: Thats amazing Sammi! hey are there Bears in those forests? if there are all these Elk maybe them can attract Bears to the area and it would be unsafe to you to wander though there...
Haven't found concrete evidence of bears around here, but they exist (rarely) pretty much all around Finland so maybe. Nothing to worry though, the odds are to get more easily hit by a car than a bear ;)
- Sami, UnReal World creator, sami@unrealworld.fi

This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

20 Aug 2016, 21:09 #4

I'm excited about your work on implementing quests!
Take as long as you need to make it right B)

To everyone posting bug reports, suggestions, and ideas:
:D Be patient. Sami has good things coming for us!

27 Aug 2016, 22:53 #5

I made an account on here just so I can say that the game needs more bears. Always. Just, bear with me when I say this alright. I know coding and all that would be grizzly business for it but it would be pawsitively worth it in my opinion. Nothing like getting mauled to death by a polar bear on the ice am I right?

28 Aug 2016, 11:26 #6

Neither grizzlies nor polar bears have ever lived in Finland (although both of these appear to be evolved from the brown bear). In theory, an occasional polar bear might have floated on an ice floe to the northern coast.
Likewise, black bears, koala bears, and panda bears have never lived natively in Finland. Cave bears went extinct well before the UrW time line, and bug bears are a fantasy creation altogether. Apart from brown bears, you might have had an occasional Björn or Bjarne visiting from the west.

29 Aug 2016, 06:13 #7

PALU @ Aug 28 2016, 11:26 AM wrote: Neither grizzlies nor polar bears have ever lived in Finland (although both of these appear to be evolved from the brown bear). In theory, an occasional polar bear might have floated on an ice floe to the northern coast.
Likewise, black bears, koala bears, and panda bears have never lived natively in Finland. Cave bears went extinct well before the UrW time line, and bug bears are a fantasy creation altogether. Apart from brown bears, you might have had an occasional Björn or Bjarne visiting from the west.
Grizzly bears are a sub-species of brown bear sir, and brown bears are in Finland so based on that I think it would be safe to assume that Grizzly bears are probably in Finland considering that the major differences with the sub species tends to be where the bear ends up living. For instance the Kodiak bear is another sub species of brown bear but they usually live in coastal areas.

29 Aug 2016, 16:14 #8

Grizzlies and kodiaks are both found in North America only. Nowadays biologists seem to want to make every variation of a species into a new species rather than a sub species, scrapping the old fashioned definition based on whether the offspring is capable of reproducing or not. I don't know if it's because they want to have their own name on a species or whatever it is. According to the old fashioned definitions grizzlies, kodiaks, and, I think, polar bears, would be sub species of the brown bear, yes (offspring of polar bear and grizzly have been observed in the wild, but I don't know about their ability to reproduce).

Usually sub species are found is particular locales and have developed traits suitable to that locale that are less frequently seen outside that, especially when you put these traits together.
You may very well find an unusually large brown bear in Finland, but since it's not actually of the grizzly sub species, it would just be a brown bear that might be similar to a grizzly.