Aug 12 2016, 05:31 PM #16

OK, looking at the mod give rise to a couple of questions:
- I see two flatbread recipes with 5 and 8 pieces respectively, but the lists claim they use the same amount of ingredients. Is that a UI issue or an underlying problem somewhere (boiling recipes claim 1.0 pounds of water was used, regardless of the actual amount, as an example of a vanilla UI issue)?
- Does drying mushrooms render them safe (for the ones that are safe when boiled) as is the case for some RL mushrooms, or is that preservation method reserved for the "always safe" ones?

Aug 13 2016, 04:01 AM #17

About the double flatbreads in the menu, that happens when you accidentally leave the old cookery recipes in. You need to replace the old with the new, or edit the mod to combine them to your liking. Might need to check your installation. The file to look at is "cookery_glossary.txt".

The mod's flatbreads look like this in the file:

Code: Select all

.Flatbread.  (8)   *COOKERY*	/15/  \10\	%30%	|-1|	:148:  [effort:1]
{Flour}     #6#   [remove] [roast] [name]
{Water}  #0.5#     [remove] 
{Seeds} #2#  [remove] 'seeds for crunch' [roast] [optional]
[TILEGFX:it-bread]
[SPOILAGE_DAYS:8]
[COOK_WEIGHT_DIV:1.5] 

So they are 8 pieces, and you will see the TILEGFX:it-bread command there, which tells it to use a new graphic for the breads. The old flatbread will also be in there somewhere, but you'll see it has no TILEGFX command and is only 5 pieces. You can just remove the old one and your extra menu entry should be gone. It's always save-game compatible, even if you already made a bunch of bread with the old recipe, it's fine.

---

Poisonous mushrooms will still be poisonous after you dry them, beware! :ph43r:

Some of them can be boiled and then dried (that way you're pretty safe). But there are a couple that stay deadly poisonous even after boiling, like the Sand Mushroom which could well be called suicide shroom.

It's kinda a novelty option, I rarely make use of it because of how much hassle the mushrooms are, and how low the nutrients from them are.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bedlam's Njerpez Cookery Mod
For URW 3.30+

Aug 13 2016, 07:52 AM #18

Thanks.

The problem was that I'd copied the original cookery_glossary file as a backup (adding a copy indicator in the name) as well as changed the suffix, but it was still read. Somehow the file reading process reads both files starting with "cookery_glossary" in their name, ignoring additional characters in the name as well as the suffix. Adding a bunch of 'X' at the beginning of the backup's name caused the backup to be ignored, though.
Both versions of flatbread showed up in the menu, while the recipe ended up the same for both, but the change above fixed that.

I didn't realize you could dry boiled mushrooms, but that will do the trick. With vanilla you don't have too many cooking options, and it adds a very little bit (and I like mushrooms).
I stay away from the always poisonous mushrooms and use only the ones rendered safe after processing. I'd prefer to stay away from those needing processing, but Tellervo's Blessing is available when it's cold enough that you can actually store them (although drying may change the equation).

Aug 15 2016, 07:28 PM #19

A couple of issues encountered:
- The dog keeps stealing the kishkebabs. On the other hand I can feed it stale ones, and I think it only nicks them from the sauna, not from the cellar. There's a large pile of spoiled meat for it to eat, but I guess the kishkebabs are just too delicious to resist...
- For some reason the Salo recipe didn't consider dried lingonberry (that's what the error message said: the inventory said 2 X of dried lingonberries) to be valid berries. It seemed dried mixed berries worked, as well as fresh crowberries. Could it be a singular/plural issue?

Aug 17 2016, 03:41 AM #20

Ha ha, same problems with my dogs, the stuff is just too delicious to leave around them. They wait until it's cooked then go for it like a torpedo. "Hooch! That's not cool, that whole cooked salmon would've fed me for at least 2-3 days!!"

Nothing from the grinning dog, he glommed it down in one bite, seasoning and all. After that I started leashing the dogs to trees, which solved the problem until I had a random fox swoop in from outta nowhere and steal a freshly roasted shishkebab. You can't win! :lol:

---

The berries thing is definitely spelling or plurals related. The mod uses [*berries], which is basically going to match anything followed by "berries". It works on all the fresh berries but to make it work on the dried too, you gotta change the recipe for those to say "dried lingonberries". Not sure how to accomplish that, needs further study.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For URW 3.30+

Aug 17 2016, 07:41 AM #21

I now handle the dog problem by keeping the sauna door closed at all times, so I close it both on entry and exit (if not closing on entry the dog will come in after you).
However, I think there's a flaw in UrW itself when it comes to dog feeding, as it can refuse the food you give it but then start to bark like mad while you're tanning an elk skin immediately thereafter. I also recently had a case where I dug a hole (takes 1½ hour), the dog barked once, and I went to feed it immediately upon finishing the task, but then it refused the food, so it had apparently stolen something somewhere.

Aug 19 2016, 09:47 AM #22

I've dealt with the failure of the Salo recipe to use lingonberries or raspberries (which indicates only mixed berries can be used by the original) by changing "*berries" to "*berr*" in the recipe, but I don't know if it might have a side effect (something else with "berr" in the name could presumably be misused instead). At least I seem to have been able to set a Salo cooking with the modification.

Similarly, I've modified the mushroom drying recipe to make mushrooms optional as per the berry drying one, in order for it to be possible to dry smaller batches than the rather large ones of the original. Again, I don't know if that has some side effects.

A very minor nitpick is that the description of the board used in the dried berries recipe claims the board is used to lay the berries out in the sun, while the drying actually is performed by a fire/stove (in my case indoors in the sauna).

Edit:
So I tried to make the salty biscuits, and had the container destruction bug eat one of the two bowls holding the loaves (fortunately I didn't have it in my beautiful pot: I've already lost a fine pot to the bug when drying boiled mushrooms, so I'm not completely surprised). Well, at least I now know what to do with the pile of sub standard quality bowls...
Since the bug is in UrW itself, the mod can't fix it, but at least this can serve as a warning to be careful with what containers are used.

Aug 20 2016, 12:30 AM #23

Indeed, gotta watch out for that container bug.

Your fixes sound like a good idea & an improvement!

There's a technical reason why "fire" is required to cook dried berries / shrooms, reasonably it shouldn't even be part of the recipe, but using the [ROAST] function is the only way we have for now to make working food recipes (ones that add up nutrition of the used berries/mushrooms correctly). And this [ROAST] thing requires a fire. I even suggested to Sami that we might need a tag like [COOK] which would be identical to ROAST but without needing a fire, so a greater variety of fire-free cook recipes would be possible.

Maybe we'll see it in a future version!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For URW 3.30+

Aug 24 2016, 10:52 AM #24

I'm having a resource balance issue with the mod in that it's quite heavy in the usage of herbs, but light in the usage of vegetables. There are pure vegetable recipes, but only the borsch meat/fish recipe uses vegetables (the stuffed buns can use turnips in the filling, which is good, and the goulash can take smoked fish/meat, which I like as well).

The whole-cooked fish, for instance makes use of a huge amount of herbs, while I would expect the real life version to use leaves/grass as wrapping (not visible in the recipe) with the herbs as seasoning.

I think a more "complete" fish soup (think along the lines of the French bouillabaisse) would fit in, i.e. a thick fish soup (bordering on stew) with lots of both fish and vegetables, plus, of course, seasoning. It might take Salo as well.
I have no idea what a real life "Njerpez" analog would be, though.
I wouldn't remove the existing fish soup, as you need a mix of recipes where some are available early on, before you've gotten stocks of varied ingredients (as it's a soup, you'd still need to have gotten a hold of a pot, of course).

Mar 8 2017, 08:37 PM #25

Making a kebab stick crashes the game with the latest version.. anyone else?

EDIT: it's the truetile.. commenting it out works fine. Mmh.

Mar 8 2017, 09:00 PM #26

Found the issue: the name of the image is too long. Ref:http://z3.invisionfree.com/UrW_forum/in ... =7960&st=0&

I've just renamed the file and the TILEGFX entry to it-kebabst and it works.

May 5 2017, 05:40 PM #27

Any tips on how to make salo? when I get fat from a big animal (elk, stag) it usually weights 3 lbs and to make salo is 4 lb, even stored in a cellar is not enough before it get spoiled, it is better prepared on cold weathers or I can preserve it (salt, dry, smoke) and can be prepared later?

May 5 2017, 07:14 PM #28

You can salt the fat and then use it salted for the salo. ;)

The way salo-making usually goes at my camp:

After getting a big animal or two, I make some salo. Any leftover fat gets salted and stored in a cellar. Lasts for a looooong time that way. So next time you get a nice fat catch, you can pull out some salted fat from the cellar and add it to the fresh stuff, to make more salo.

It's possible to dry the fat, but then it loses a lot of weight making it useless for salo and I don't consider it very realistic so not using it myself. Is nutritious though, so if you don't care about realism then dried fats are great for travel.

----

Many thanks to Koteko for finding that filename problem, I didn't consider that!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For URW 3.30+

Jan 17 2018, 02:13 PM #29

Wheres the link? o.0