Need To Pay Companions & Their Inv. Restrictions

Read-only archive. No posts as of May 2017 due to new forums.

Need To Pay Companions & Their Inv. Restrictions

28 Apr 2016, 17:43 #1

Done with additions of needing to pay companions for their services, and companion inventory restrictions. There's naturally room for future enhancements and neverending complexity, but here's how we'll get started with the new style of hiring and companionship.

Code: Select all

- added: need to pay companions & companion inventory restrictions

* companion inventory restrictions 

You can't anymore freely pick all the items of your companions to yourself. Companions now tend to keep 
          their most valuable and usable personal items to themselves, and usually only the cheap items and
          food are freely pickable. However, all the items you have delivered to your companion can be picked 
          back at will if they are not in use (wielded or worn) at the moment. So it is still safe to pack or lend 
          your companions even the most valuable goods you have.

* need to pay companions for their days of service and items claimed

Companions now require some reward for their days of service. Their price is roughly a value of one squirrel 
          hide per day of service and you can pay them basically with any valuable goods. Also, if you have claimed
          companion's items to yourself they expect to be paid for those items too. In short, companions now always
          expect to leave with more valuable inventory than what they had upon recruitment.

A day before companions are about to leave they'll let you know how they feel about their equipment
          and whether they expect to be paid more. If more payment is wanted simply deliver items to your
          companions and they'll let you know when they are happy with it. You don't have to do it at once
          but have the whole day to settle the payment. Talking to your companion at any time ("Greet" or "Ask for help"
          chat options) will also make them speak their mind about the remaining payment.

If you fail to pay companions before they leave you'll be reminded about it the one last time. From there on 
          you can still deliver goods to settle the payment, but ex-companions don't necessarily stay around for
          too long. Failing to pay companions lowers your reputation in their village, and makes hiring new companions
          there quite difficult. 
...aaaand a few preview screenshots of the system in action:

Picking from a companion - just can't pick 'em all now. Red item entries are the forbidden ones.

Companion is about to leave tomorrow, stating that he needs to be paid.

So we deliver some goods to parting companion, finally making him happy and properly rewarded.

These are future improvements, not in effect in the current version 3.30p1.
- Sami, UnReal World creator, sami@unrealworld.fi

This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

28 Apr 2016, 18:10 #2

It is really great to see this getting <3. Really nice starting solutions.

I'm concerned about not being able to borough an axe early in game, but if I have nothing and low
reputation (early on) who would loan it to me? By the time my reputation is high(er) I probably won't need to borough it.

I have had island starts though where if I hadn't found an NPC willing to hire, and boroughing his axe for boards.. well who knows.

I argue myself back to Great addition ;)

28 Apr 2016, 18:52 #3

hehehe you just described the exact scenario that prompted me to make my ironworking mod.

Great improvements all around Sami, but I think "take" would be a more fitting verb than "pick". Taking always denotes a transfer of possession while Picking carries a more ambiguous meaning.
Sometimes it's far too easy to get mad, but then you find one little gem of truth and it makes you laugh. The universe is truly a wondrous place.

My Mods for:Ironworking, Weaving Cloth, My Cookbook

28 Apr 2016, 18:54 #4

Privateer @ Apr 28 2016, 06:10 PM wrote: I'm concerned about not being able to borough an axe early in game, but if I have nothing and low
reputation (early on) who would loan it to me? By the time my reputation is high(er) I probably won't need to borough it.
Yes. I've been thinking about this axe case too. Companions are sometimes recruited because they have an axe, so it might be reasonable to have their one axe always borrowable. We'll see.

28 Apr 2016, 18:59 #5

Rain @ Apr 28 2016, 06:52 PM wrote: Great improvements all around Sami, but I think "take" would be a more fitting verb than "pick". Taking always denotes a transfer of possession while Picking carries a more ambiguous meaning.
Oo, you mean in companion "What do you want to pick?" dialog screen - or in verbal description of the feature? In the dialog the "pick" just comes from the command name, internally -- I can tolerate some grammar sloppiness if it easens the workload of having all the bits of text defined separately :P

28 Apr 2016, 21:27 #6

Sami Maaranen @ Apr 28 2016, 02:54 PM wrote:
Privateer @ Apr 28 2016, 06:10 PM wrote: I'm concerned about not being able to borough an axe early in game, but if I have nothing and low
Yes. I've been thinking about this axe case too. Companions are sometimes recruited because they have an axe, so it might be reasonable to have their one axe always borrowable. We'll see.
But if they have only one axe and it is their main weapon then maybe it should not be available to take. A woodsman's axe, splitting axe, or other type which is intended for woodworking should be available. But not axes that are intended to be weapons.

[edit] Can't believe I forgot to say... this is a great addition to the game!

28 Apr 2016, 23:32 #7

JEB Davis @ Apr 28 2016, 02:27 PM wrote:
Sami Maaranen @ Apr 28 2016, 02:54 PM wrote:
But if they have only one axe and it is their main weapon then maybe it should not be available to take. A woodsman's axe, splitting axe, or other type which is intended for woodworking should be available. But not axes that are intended to be weapons.

[edit] Can't believe I forgot to say... this is a great addition to the game!
Well if it's wielded you can't take borough it anyway.
I do agree that if it is their sole weapon they should not allow and the only option left is "Bonk" on the head, if you really want it.

29 Apr 2016, 01:02 #8

Maybe there could be something that would let you borrow companions items for crafting if they are next to you? Sort of how you can leave a club on a tree trunk and you will automatically use it whenever you do the last step of tanning a hide.

29 Apr 2016, 02:23 #9

Just out of curiosity... since some items will be "off-limits" to take freely from companions now, does this mean we'll be allowed to trade with them for the things we can't just take? Or is trading with companions still not going to be an option?

By the way, I do like this new feature. It never seemed right just being able to take all of a companion's possessions for free.

29 Apr 2016, 09:20 #10

Mehukannu @ Apr 29 2016, 01:02 AM wrote: Maybe there could be something that would let you borrow companions items for crafting if they are next to you? Sort of how you can leave a club on a tree trunk and you will automatically use it whenever you do the last step of tanning a hide.
Would be great, but NPC inventory handling is more robust compared to player character and lacks possibility of "on-the-ground" item checks. Maybe in the future.

29 Apr 2016, 09:24 #11

fennecfoxx @ Apr 29 2016, 02:23 AM wrote: Just out of curiosity... since some items will be "off-limits" to take freely from companions now, does this mean we'll be allowed to trade with them for the things we can't just take? Or is trading with companions still not going to be an option?
Companions still don't trade, so you just gotta equip yourself and your companion beforehand in a fashion that makes your planned adventures possible.