Mead Brewing V1.0 For Urw 3.30

Read-only archive. No posting allowed as of May 2017 due to new forums.

Mead Brewing V1.0 For Urw 3.30

Privateer

12 Feb 2015, 03:56 #1

* This is the initial version brewing in the UnReal World, to my knowlege.
* v1.0 UnReal World Brewery
* - For this version I basically used my pomegranate wine recipe
* - The recipe I use for pomegranate wine makes 1 gallon batches.
* - 2 lbs Honey, 6 lbs water, 1 lb berries
* -(truth 4 cups pom juice, 4 cups sugar, 8 cups water)
* - A barrel item has been added with a capacity of about 1 gal (8.x lbs)
* - "Bee hives in the wild" is included with the brewery mod for simplicity
* - "Properly" making your "must" will produce "drunkenness", otherwise
* it will be a non alcoholic mead. (as much as is supported in game)

I, like others, have wanted a brewing method in URW for some time. Something to help on those cold winter nights.
I hope this will fit the bill.

This mod uses honey collected from wild bees
Bees start in March and the hive matures in 120 days around July. They die in October.
So, the late summer, early fall is prime honey gathering time if you want to plan ahead.
I've put the hives in mires, marshes and settlements because they usually have berries and crops/plants near by most of the year.

Mead with drunk type effect
The process as I wrote it (these are in no particular order);
collect honey
collect berries
sterilize the water and honey (this is now the must, or fermented honey)(I used blanching method in base cooking)
make a barrel
make a barrel plug
make mead

Non alcoholic mead or Honey wine
You can make this simply by skipping the sterilization (fermentation) step

Name should use berry you choose "*berry* honeymead"
using different berry types will make "mixed honeymead" (I think)

I hope you enjoy it
Priv

-The files-
These go in the \unrealworld directory
menudef_brewery.txt (menu Using Y Z)
readme_brewery.txt (this file)
diy_brewer.txt (accessory mod code)
cookery_brewery.txt (brewing mod code)
flora_brew.txt (Bee hives in the wild mod code)

-The images-
These go in the \unrealworld\truetile directory
barrel.png (image for the added barrel item, capacity 8 lbs)
h-comb.png (image for all bee hive stages and honey comb)

*Updated download: set a proper low value for a barrel sale price.

Mead brewing in UnReal World (how to)

Just bee hive download
Wild bee hive mod code

Mead brewing v1.0

Privateer

13 Feb 2015, 02:11 #2

First off, Thank you Sami for your help and providing this game.

While wondering I came across this :blink:

The inhabitants were not happy about me pulling their house apart

But it tastes so good!

Initial attempts to add graphics failed as the graphics only working during initial play of character creation.
After confirmation that the bigsprite file has a fixed length I set out looking for any vacant slots
as I hoped to not have to overwrite any graphic(s).

After looking at a couple slots, position :28: proved to be a good opening.
The hive will properly start small with few bees, have more bees when hive is mature,
go stale color when harvested and drop honeycomb graphic (which was made from part of net image) on ground.

Now I'm trying to dial in what area(s), at what frequency the wild bee hives form and how much honey is produced.
Right now I have the hive spawning in March ~ April and dieing in October and taking 4 months for the bees to make the honey.

More to come (getting closer to MEAD!)

Wayfarer

14 Feb 2015, 10:13 #3

Nice one! I've wanted to have some kind of honey-gathering-mead-making mod for ages! I thought about it quite a bit and tried a few things but it was never right enough haha, and I never did any new graphics either...

Awesome!
Wyrd bið ful aræd

My music project

averious

14 Feb 2015, 18:30 #4

Wayfarer @ Feb 14 2015, 10:13 AM wrote: I've wanted to have some kind of honey-gathering-mead-making mod for ages! I thought about it quite a bit and tried a few things but it was never right enough haha, and I never did any new graphics either...
Same here! This mod sounds like a great idea! Keep it up! :)
Contact me with URW related stuff at: averious.urw@gmail.com (if you so wish)

stormwolf442

14 Feb 2015, 23:29 #5

Looking great Privateer! Any clues on the method to make mead when this is released? Also, I don't know if this is a modding possibility, but will it affect your character's status (getting drunk, reducing fatigue, etc) ?

Privateer

17 Feb 2015, 03:34 #6

stormwolf442 @ Feb 14 2015, 03:29 PM wrote:Any clues on the method to make mead when this is released? Also, I don't know if this is a modding possibility, but will it affect your character's status (getting drunk, reducing fatigue, etc) ?
Well I've made something like wine with pomegranates, sugar, water, yeast.
I also made something with pomegranates, honey, water, yeast.
Really not too difficult, if you have the right pieces nature does the work.

The yeast seems to be a wrinkle I hadn't thought about in my zeil to make bees. I did look up a couple
methods to make yeast naturally, I'm hoping that I can find a way to do it in the game.
As for the brewing, when I did it, you need to move the contents between containers
leaving the "waste" behind and making the end product better.
I think some of the work done on the fish farm mod may help with the mechanics of this part.
I'm sure it will have some effect :rolleyes:
But Next is yeast.

Zed McJack

17 Feb 2015, 07:34 #7

Yeast is all around us, you dont need to add it, its already there.
Every year I make hundreds of liters of moonshine from the fruits without ever adding yeast.
Yeast is added only if you want certain specific from yeast culture like not being dormant when temperature is too low or such.

Privateer

18 Feb 2015, 02:51 #8

I think my plan was to make a yeast-water using berries + water /time, then honey + yeast-water to ferment for mead /time.
Probably followed by a method using flour + water to also make yeast-water.

Since honey + water isn't going to ferment by itself and the product of a craft is guaranteed (given the current mod limits).
Without the ability to make crafts fail due to outside conditions like temperature, quality of ingredient etc.
I don't want to just assume that the natural yeast will function as intended by just tossing berries into the initial phase (with no perceived active agent).
Even though it may work in real life, it can also fail in real life.
I feel it is necessary to find a realistic method to represent the fermentation agent, otherwise why bother right?

I'm hoping that adding the harvestable wild bee hives was the hard part, but I could be wrong this is my first forray into the flora or cooking files. :unsure:

Zed McJack

18 Feb 2015, 06:26 #9

In the last 30 years I havent had a single case where fermentation was missing.

If you dont believe me here is the recipe on the Wiki about mead:

The Spanish-Roman naturalist Columella gave a recipe for mead in De re rustica, about AD 60.

Take rainwater kept for several years, and mix a sextarius[21] of this water with a [Roman] pound[22] of honey. For a weaker mead, mix a sextarius of water with nine ounces[23] of honey. The whole is exposed to the sun for 40 days, and then left on a shelf near the fire. If you have no rain water, then boil spring water.[24]

I might be blind but I cant find more then 2 ingredients and one condition:
1. Water
2. Honey

and warmth.

If you search for yeast at Wiki you will find that yeast wasnt identified before 1680 but even then wasnt considered living organism. And finally in the same paragraph it reads that in 1857 Pasteur proved that living organism - yeast was the cause of fermentation and not chemical reaction

So humans used fermentation process for millenia to make food and beverages without knowing what it is yeast.

Of course you can make whatever you please, this is just a game so you can add as many ingredients as you like, but I was mislead by your mention of real life experiences.

Privateer

20 Feb 2015, 17:39 #10

I hear what you are saying and appreciate your experience.
The issue is that in the game there is no brewing or fermentation process built in.
A drink called mead could be made from honey+water+warmth, but it would be just water with the nutrition of honey added.

To add effects like calming, stimulant, or psychoactive to the brew is where things kind of have to work in how the game will support them.

Honey could have a cooked effect of psychoactive but the unintended side affect of this would be all cooked honey products would be psychoactive, not just mead as intended.

Solara

16 Mar 2015, 02:27 #11

If you figure all that up, please post a step by step writeup and I'll love you forever. :)

I'm very interested in modding in new recipes but find it frustratingly limiting, or maybe I just have no idea what I'm doing.

Either way, no mead yet, but with flour+egg+milk+fat+honey my character can now bake a delicious cake. :)

Privateer

03 Mar 2016, 11:05 #12

I think tomorrow I can buy everyone a drink

Simon

03 Mar 2016, 11:34 #13

Nice..

(How did that barrel get leaky?)
Think you're ready with the unreal world? Try and become a Shaman then! || Download the URW-object reader

Privateer

03 Mar 2016, 19:37 #14

Poor craftsmanship :(
but I liked the look of it

Simon

03 Mar 2016, 22:05 #15

ow, but you can specify the quality-tags per item?
Where, how? :)
Think you're ready with the unreal world? Try and become a Shaman then! || Download the URW-object reader