Greetings, Whaddup Now?

Read-only archive. No posts as of May 2017 due to new forums.

Greetings, Whaddup Now?

20 Feb 2017, 17:33 #1

Dear fellow adventurers, I've been all too silent with dev. posts this year. With nothing too special to report dropping a few dev.news lines every now and then have just gotten constantly postponed. Now today I received a slightly worried e-mail about what's with the radio silence? Is the game still being developed, have I disappeared for a long vacation or started to work on something else, or what?
Well, there's no need to worry, the game and the life goes on as usual, but that e-mail got me writing a little update now - to all of you. It must be true that many who've had a habit of frequenting the forums for dev. news may have wondered what's going on. So, let's have a brief summary then.

In regards to coding and development it's mostly a bughunting season going on. We haven't yet put a stable tag on version 3.40, and I'm taking my time to squash the buggers. Quite soon I believe to be done with all the criticals and 3.40 stable release is to be expected around turn of the month.

Looking back to year 2016 it was extremely busy, and productive as well.
Only a year ago we launched on Steam, spent significant amount of time giving all sort of interviews and maintaining the Steam circus and public relations. UnReal World was approved in the Finnish Museum of Games and we carried our share to help select the items to build up the exhibition and participated in related AV works and made a custom game release for the museum. There was Guinness World Record mention, which also didn't come by or pass away overnight. There was shooting of a new Enormous Elk short film which is still in post-production phase.
There were 6 (six) UnReal World versions released in 2016.
And what else... I can assure there was something else as well :)
So, I guess it's no wonder if I'm kind of deliberately taken it slowly this year.
After 3.40 stable is out, I'll catch my breath and start to observe my thoughts and ideas about the future features.

And oh, just a few days ago we released a new video greetings for donors.
This, and all the new video greetings are also available as DLC for Steam purchases.
And a new clip means that our previous donor/purchaser video greeting is available at Enormous Elk Youtube channel for everyone:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RpdF8JEZ8s

Now it should be also noted that we haven't published monthly donation reports lately since donations have dried out pretty much completely during 2016. However, financial stability and funding of the games is secured by Steam sales.

Cheers! Still alive, roaming and coding in the winter wonderland.
- Sami, UnReal World creator, sami@unrealworld.fi

This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

20 Feb 2017, 20:03 #2

You are blessed to still have snow around you. Here it's become a rarity. When I was a kid we used to build entire walls and fortresses with snow. Now you can barely have a snow fight in an entire winter.

I am looking forward for the future updates, this game together with the hunter call of the wild should be a nice getaway from the normal life.

Cheers!

21 Feb 2017, 16:31 #3

But is it sliding just fine?

(The new greeting was one of the best so far in my opinion!)

21 Feb 2017, 19:13 #4

StefanPravda @ Feb 20 2017, 08:03 PM wrote: You are blessed to still have snow around you. Here it's become a rarity. When I was a kid we used to build entire walls and fortresses with snow. Now you can barely have a snow fight in an entire winter.
We've luckily got the snow yet again this winter but there's not that much of it actually - only a knee deep or so. Winters are changing, it troubles me too.

21 Feb 2017, 19:14 #5

Drakendrengi @ Feb 21 2017, 04:31 PM wrote: But is it sliding just fine?
(The new greeting was one of the best so far in my opinion!)
;) Hehe. Yes, it is. You've seen the video, so you've seen it's sliding just fine.

21 Feb 2017, 20:41 #6

Indeed I have, and hope it will continue to do so as the ice melts and swans return.

21 Feb 2017, 21:23 #7

Sami Maaranen @ Feb 21 2017, 07:13 PM wrote: We've luckily got the snow yet again this winter but there's not that much of it actually - only a knee deep or so. Winters are changing, it troubles me too.
Don't be naive, there is no global warming. Our mind is playing us. In fact it's exactly the same as 20/30 years ago. :ph43r:

On a more serious note, it looks like on the medium term the Nordic countries will turn into temperate ones and the temperate ones will turn into a hot season and a rainy season from the winter, spring, summer, autumn chain.

Since the economic powers won't back down and really take meaningful steps to prevent that, our only hope is technology. If we are lucky, it will be possible sooner rather than later to tamper with the weather to have the old winters back.

22 Feb 2017, 09:39 #8

Drakendrengi @ Feb 21 2017, 04:31 PM wrote: (The new greeting was one of the best so far in my opinion!)
I agree!

Nice to hear from you, keep up the good work

24 Feb 2017, 10:45 #9

StefanPravda @ Feb 21 2017, 09:23 PM wrote:
Sami Maaranen @ Feb 21 2017, 07:13 PM wrote: We've luckily got the snow yet again this winter but there's not that much of it actually - only a knee deep or so. Winters are changing, it troubles me too.
Don't be naive, there is no global warming. Our mind is playing us. In fact it's exactly the same as 20/30 years ago. :ph43r:
Yeah, well, that's how some tend to think. This is a hot topic (no pun intended), I'll keep my comments short for now, and if further discussion arises we'll split it to thread of its own.
On a more serious note, it looks like on the medium term the Nordic countries will turn into temperate ones  and the temperate ones will turn into a hot season and a rainy season from the winter, spring, summer, autumn chain.
That's how it appears, although in the end if there will be radical changes in Gulf Stream it might turn things whole lotta colder for us.
Since the economic powers won't back down and really take meaningful steps to prevent that, our only hope is technology. If we are lucky, it will be possible sooner rather than later to tamper with
the weather to have the old winters back.
Mmm...well...this is a big topic, and I don't know. More than a decade ago I remember some Finnish researcher saying that we've passed the point where snowball effect of warming continues even if all the greenhouse/carbon emissions originating from human activity would be cut to zero at once. Can't remember for how long he though the ball would keep rolling, and don't know what's the scientific consensus now. But oh well, this not pessimism or fatalism on my behalf, just remark I remember.

24 Feb 2017, 12:33 #10

Since the economic powers won't back down and really take meaningful steps to prevent that, our only hope is technology. If we are lucky, it will be possible sooner rather than later to tamper with the weather to have the old winters back.
Be careful what you wish for. Do you really want the weather to be controlled by politicians?
Crops withering because the city living voter base wants to have nice weather at their summer houses, resulting in water shortages as well as ground water salination and water power plants running out of water...
I suspect the weather RNG is a better master than politicians.

You'd also get weather wars where drought ridden regions would go to war over (real or alleged) claims that the neighbors stole their rain, as well as ruthless powers waging poorly hidden weather wars by sending alternating drought and deluges to neighbors that live downwind.

24 Feb 2017, 22:14 #11

That's how it appears, although in the end if there will be radical changes in Gulf Stream it might turn things whole lotta colder for us.
I am still hoping that mother Nature will do a trick on us and fix things somehow. This winter, unlike the last very many winters, we had snow for 30 days. Snow that did not melt. Not even close to what it used to be, but there was snow for 7 days in a row just where I live. I am not speaking about the top of the mountains, but the lower areas, just like my city province. That's something I only used to see 15+ years ago, in the normal 3 months long winters.
Mmm...well...this is a big topic, and I don't know. More than a decade ago I remember some Finnish researcher saying that we've passed the point where snowball effect of warming continues even if all the greenhouse/carbon emissions originating from human activity would be cut to zero at once. Can't remember for how long he though the ball would keep rolling, and don't know what's the scientific consensus now. But oh well, this not pessimism or fatalism on my behalf, just remark I remember.
I guess that the best bet is to wait and see. I still remember the times when global warming was an incumbent topic, what bugs me is how people can deny reality, i.e. what you see with your own eyes. Especially the people over 50 years old who have lived to see many winters and summers and know how weather used to be.
Be careful what you wish for. Do you really want the weather to be controlled by politicians?
No, but I would hate to see snow only on special days, as are the lower lands in Netherlands for example. I remember when I was a student being there in December. And it snowed one day for like 20 minutes, and wow everybody dropped everything and went outside to see the snow, cause it was very rare in that area to snow. Most probably if that will be possible at some point it will be used like a weapon. We could discover an illness cure and quickly learn to use it as a weapon.

I live in a country where winter, spring, summer, autumn were 4 different segments, you could taste everything. Warm summer rains, where you could stay in the in the rain cause the rain was so hot, the autumn showing up around the corner in the late august, with a heavy rainy day marking the time when the earth got cold and the hot summer days were gone, then the first day of snow in the winter, with no rains, just a cozy 2-3 months winter longing for a warm place, and a real spring where you could see things virtually coming into life. I run to keep my health bar up. If you can run in December and January in shorts and a training shirt with long sleeves than it's really reindeered up.

Now it's November and you have days similar to summer ones. Then it starts to rain for what is supposed to be a late autumn/winter/spring. A few days of snow separate those rainy days, but the snow quickly dissapears. Then summer is coming! ( Not winter )

As it is, I am more like a sitting spectator, wishing for the best outcome and waiting for things to develop. They've been talking about fixing up weather problems since the 90s, maybe even before ( I am 36, so I have no idea what did they talk about before ). Yet in 2017 some presidents say they will revert climate policies cause the weather is the same as it used to be, and scientists invent things ( not that this would be false all the time ).