Meagan Haught

Meagan Haught

1993 Graduate
1993 Graduate

August 15th, 2008, 5:02 pm #1

If anyone saw the article in the Columbus Dispatch this morning.....I think it is awful that the district will not allow an incoming UAHS freshman to stay in UA schools based on tuition. the poor girl has been through so much, why displace her again?

Any thoughts??????

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 16th, 2008, 1:07 am #2

http://dispatch.com/live/content/local_ ... ml?sid=101

Yes, this poor girl has endured a lot.

August 17th, 2008, 3:26 pm #3

If anyone saw the article in the Columbus Dispatch this morning.....I think it is awful that the district will not allow an incoming UAHS freshman to stay in UA schools based on tuition. the poor girl has been through so much, why displace her again?

Any thoughts??????
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">And I feel terribly sorry for her. She’s been through more than most people deal with well into their 30s or 40s by losing both parents and other relatives. But she’s not the only child to have to deal with tragedy. And she doesn’t live in the district, which is a policy. It’s not as if she grew up here and has life long friends. She’s been here three years. She would have four full years to develop friends and a support system at her new high school, as well as still being near her current friends.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">It’s not often I support the school district, but I do in this case. For those of you who do support her situation, they’ve set up an account at Arlington Bank for donations, hoping to raise the $12,727.72 tuition needed for her to continue at UAHS.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Seriously though, for that much money they could just move to UA. There are lots of places for rent under $1000 a month. Then it wouldn’t be an issue each year until she graduates, and they could do this on their own instead of asking for help.

76er
76er

August 18th, 2008, 12:46 pm #4

Wow - kind of harsh in a nice way. Haven't you ever made great friends in 3 years, especially the ones that support you through the middle school years which have to be about the hardest ones ever! The people you say could move to UA... maybe they have a home they love or maybe a home that is paid for which helps their situation and security. Guess they could adjust but maybe they are adjusting to taking care of her. I think it is wonderful for people to help this young lady. When you lose so much it means the world to you to know that others care about you. She must have such a feeling of loss already that anything that keeps any kind of stability has to be great for her.

UA in FL
UA in FL

August 18th, 2008, 3:46 pm #5

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">And I feel terribly sorry for her. She’s been through more than most people deal with well into their 30s or 40s by losing both parents and other relatives. But she’s not the only child to have to deal with tragedy. And she doesn’t live in the district, which is a policy. It’s not as if she grew up here and has life long friends. She’s been here three years. She would have four full years to develop friends and a support system at her new high school, as well as still being near her current friends.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">It’s not often I support the school district, but I do in this case. For those of you who do support her situation, they’ve set up an account at Arlington Bank for donations, hoping to raise the $12,727.72 tuition needed for her to continue at UAHS.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Seriously though, for that much money they could just move to UA. There are lots of places for rent under $1000 a month. Then it wouldn’t be an issue each year until she graduates, and they could do this on their own instead of asking for help.

A policy is a policy. It may seem harsh but once you start bending the rules for one person, it opens up a can of worms.

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 18th, 2008, 7:46 pm #6

Looks like I am in the minority here, but in this instance I also side with the school district. If she was a senior I would definitely say let her stay. Four years is just too long to let her attend for "free". If this exception were made, I'll bet it would open up the door to many more requests for exceptions.

August 19th, 2008, 2:00 am #7

Wow - kind of harsh in a nice way. Haven't you ever made great friends in 3 years, especially the ones that support you through the middle school years which have to be about the hardest ones ever! The people you say could move to UA... maybe they have a home they love or maybe a home that is paid for which helps their situation and security. Guess they could adjust but maybe they are adjusting to taking care of her. I think it is wonderful for people to help this young lady. When you lose so much it means the world to you to know that others care about you. She must have such a feeling of loss already that anything that keeps any kind of stability has to be great for her.
<FONT face=Arial size=3>homes in four states (now 34 moves, 5 states). Change was never a big deal, and I have life long friends from all over the country and from different walks of life. Granted I didn't have the tragedies she's had to deal with, but change I can definitely relate to.</FONT>

<FONT face=Arial>It may come across as&nbsp;harsh, I just don't think Centennial is a bad school, and it sounds like she wouldn't be too far away from her current friends. With technology today, cell phones, computers, AIM, Yahoo, etc., she could still stay in touch, as well as make a new batch of friends to expand her support system.</FONT>

<FONT face=Arial>But it's all moot, as an anonymous doner added to the monies already received and gave the bank over $11,000 today to pay for her freshman year at UAHS. It's wonderful to see good people do good things, even if you don't quite agree with it. </FONT>

<FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 19th, 2008, 6:48 pm #8

Looks like I am in the minority here, but in this instance I also side with the school district. If she was a senior I would definitely say let her stay. Four years is just too long to let her attend for "free". If this exception were made, I'll bet it would open up the door to many more requests for exceptions.
Well, my heart goes out to the girl, however; now "someone" has paid for her tuition...so, does that mean that anyone can pay tuition and attend UA...not fair...so someone living in a lower tax district pays lower taxes, but can pay roughly 11K and attend UA? Maybe I'm missing something here. Plan B, the family could have established a residency by renting an apt. (Ridgeview/Harwitch, etc) for a little over $600 per month and only spent over 7K...I fear this is not the end of this issue.

UA 92
UA 92

August 20th, 2008, 1:42 pm #9

Any thoughts??????
Making an exception for a non resident and excepting tuition both set bad precedents for the school system. Don’t be surprised if the sob stories start rolling in. Where should the line be drawn? A couple months ago a family living in Hilliard petitioned the UA school board to let their daughter enroll in kindergarten. Of course they had a sob story as well. The common denominator in both cases is neither family made any effort to satisfy the residency requirement.

I’m sorry if I sound harsh but people who don’t think the rules should apply to them just piss me off.

I’m sure Meagan is a wonderful girl; however, I wonder about the guardians. They had choices. Megan could have simply stayed with her grandmother and there would have been no story. They could have made an effort to move into UA. There are plenty of reasonabily priced housing options in UA. Of course the house may not be as big as in Columbus or Hilliard but families make that compromise all the time. Or in worst case she could have simply attended Centennial. Instead they decided to drag a girl who has already gone through so much in front of the school board, the superintendent, and the media. They did teach her one valuable lesson: If she cries and complains enough she will get whatever she wants.

The family says it’s about Meagan staying with her friends not about the school system. Really? If they lived in Dublin or Powell do you think they would be petitioning to enroll her in UA? I suspect they would take a little pride in their local schools and tell her she needs to get used to change. High school is a time or change. She will probably have a whole different set of friends by the end of her freshman year anyway.

The story isn’t over yet. My understanding is the school board still has to approve accepting tuition for enrollment. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Karena'90
Karena'90

August 23rd, 2008, 5:25 am #10

I just wanted to clarify, since you are speaking directly about my niece and her so-called "sob story"..that her situation was in no way our family seeking out the media to bend the rules or crying to get what we want. In fact, it was more about Grandparents rights. Just so you are fully informed, noone in our family went to the media at all. The SNP news writer was touched by my Mom's story simply because his Grandmother had raised him. It was also NOT about thinking U.A. had better schools either. Maybe you should visit any of the Hilliard schools sometime, because obviously you are misinformed in thinking they are inferior. Upper Arlington certainly has it's share of problems, which I don't need to go into detail, so this attitude that "everyone" is just trying to get into your schools is just rediculous.
Personally, I don't think there should be exceptions just for the fact that it will always be unfair to someone. But it is also your right to petition the school board, and it is their right to turn you down. Plain and simple. One thing I have found out in all of this is how cruel and nasty some people really can be....and of course they always type something first like "I don't mean to be harsh, rude etc." Saying that our family came with some "sob" story is truly nasty. My Mom simply told her situation, that is all. How dare you say we came with some sob story? Personally, I was proud to grow up in a nice community like U.A. To read a post like this was truly hurtful.