John Neff, teacher at high school, passed away

John Neff, teacher at high school, passed away

Pam
Pam

January 18th, 2007, 8:40 pm #1

NEFF John Neff, age 72, of Hilliard, departed this life on Sunday, December 31, 2006. He was preceded in death by his parents George and Grace Neff, and by two sisters Coryn Lehman and Pauline Williams. John is survived by his wife of 52 1/2 years, Hilda; three children, Carol Filkins (Derrick) of Indianapolis, Mark of Columbus and Mary Sinclair McKinney (Kelly) of Columbus; one brother, Richard of Columbus; and a sister, Georgie Wolford of Englewood. John enjoyed his teaching career at Upper Arlington High School, where he taught Sophomore English, Psychology, and Humanities, and was the Alcohol/Drug Educator for the district the last seven years of his career. He was a very hard-working man, throwing himself wholeheartedly into whatever he was doing. While at UAHS, he developed a course "The Bible as Lit" and taught it for many years. John also was very active in his church, for 25 years at the Hilltop Church of God, where he taught a young adult Sunday school class and was active in the State Board of Christian Education for that church. Since 1983, he has been actively involved at First Community Church, where he taught adult education classes, served on the Adult Education Council, and Spiritual Searcher Committee, serving as Chair at different times of each, and was a member of the Board of Church and Ministry for the Central Southeast District of the U.C.C. For 22 years, he was a member of the First Community Church Chancel Choir which was a deep joy in his life. Following his teaching career, he did some light catering and was quite the gourmet cook. He was a man of many talents and was very widely read. John was the first leader of the Alpha Group at Camp Akita, now called the L.I.F.E. Guard (Life Is First Eternal), which is a service group of campers to Camp Akita. The last job he had before his illness robbed him of his health was as manager of the Utzinger Memorial Garden at the Farm Science Review, a job he loved very much. He spent many hours in his own green house planting seeds to be replanted into his own garden and yard. A Celebration of Life Service will be held at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, January 3, 2007 in the main sanctuary at First Community Church, 1320 Cambridge Blvd. Columbus, Ohio 43212, where the family will receive friends from 5-7 p.m. and following the service. Reverend James Long officiating. Floral contributions or gifts may be made to First Community Foundation or to The Ohio State Development Fund, Acct. Alzheimer Initiative Research 306246, 660 Ackerman Road, Columbus, Ohio 43218. Arrangements by SCHOEDINGER NORTHWEST CHAPEL, 1740 Zollinger Road.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 19th, 2007, 1:46 am #2

Sorry to hear this.Mr Neff was my teacher 63/64. My prayers go out to his family and friends. He was still too young.

January 26th, 2007, 3:16 am #3

NEFF John Neff, age 72, of Hilliard, departed this life on Sunday, December 31, 2006. He was preceded in death by his parents George and Grace Neff, and by two sisters Coryn Lehman and Pauline Williams. John is survived by his wife of 52 1/2 years, Hilda; three children, Carol Filkins (Derrick) of Indianapolis, Mark of Columbus and Mary Sinclair McKinney (Kelly) of Columbus; one brother, Richard of Columbus; and a sister, Georgie Wolford of Englewood. John enjoyed his teaching career at Upper Arlington High School, where he taught Sophomore English, Psychology, and Humanities, and was the Alcohol/Drug Educator for the district the last seven years of his career. He was a very hard-working man, throwing himself wholeheartedly into whatever he was doing. While at UAHS, he developed a course "The Bible as Lit" and taught it for many years. John also was very active in his church, for 25 years at the Hilltop Church of God, where he taught a young adult Sunday school class and was active in the State Board of Christian Education for that church. Since 1983, he has been actively involved at First Community Church, where he taught adult education classes, served on the Adult Education Council, and Spiritual Searcher Committee, serving as Chair at different times of each, and was a member of the Board of Church and Ministry for the Central Southeast District of the U.C.C. For 22 years, he was a member of the First Community Church Chancel Choir which was a deep joy in his life. Following his teaching career, he did some light catering and was quite the gourmet cook. He was a man of many talents and was very widely read. John was the first leader of the Alpha Group at Camp Akita, now called the L.I.F.E. Guard (Life Is First Eternal), which is a service group of campers to Camp Akita. The last job he had before his illness robbed him of his health was as manager of the Utzinger Memorial Garden at the Farm Science Review, a job he loved very much. He spent many hours in his own green house planting seeds to be replanted into his own garden and yard. A Celebration of Life Service will be held at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, January 3, 2007 in the main sanctuary at First Community Church, 1320 Cambridge Blvd. Columbus, Ohio 43212, where the family will receive friends from 5-7 p.m. and following the service. Reverend James Long officiating. Floral contributions or gifts may be made to First Community Foundation or to The Ohio State Development Fund, Acct. Alzheimer Initiative Research 306246, 660 Ackerman Road, Columbus, Ohio 43218. Arrangements by SCHOEDINGER NORTHWEST CHAPEL, 1740 Zollinger Road.
John Neff was one of the few high school teachers I really liked. I took his Bible as Lit course in 70/71. He had an impact on me as much for his teaching style as the substance of the course. At a time when there was a great deal of alienation between students and authority figures, John Neff showed how to relate to young people in a way that both demonstrated and commanded respect. Kudos to him for his compassion and intelligence. I am a better person for having been his student.

Carol (Neff) Filkins
Carol (Neff) Filkins

February 27th, 2007, 8:21 pm #4

Thank you for your comments about my dad and that his teaching had an impact on your life. He loved being a teacher. It's so nice to hear from his students that his love of teaching and the students did indeed have a positive impact. Since he had alzheimer's disease we lost him over several years, and sometimes it was hard to remember what he had been like before it attacked his brain. Thanks again for taking time to share your comments, and we hope you'll "pay it forward" in someway, caring and inspiring others in whatever arena you are in, the way dad did in teaching. Carol (Neff) Filkins

Carol (Neff) Filkins
Carol (Neff) Filkins

February 27th, 2007, 8:23 pm #5

John Neff was one of the few high school teachers I really liked. I took his Bible as Lit course in 70/71. He had an impact on me as much for his teaching style as the substance of the course. At a time when there was a great deal of alienation between students and authority figures, John Neff showed how to relate to young people in a way that both demonstrated and commanded respect. Kudos to him for his compassion and intelligence. I am a better person for having been his student.
Thank you for your comments about my dad and that his teaching had an impact on your life. He loved being a teacher. It's so nice to hear from his students that his love of teaching and the students did indeed have a positive impact. Since he had alzheimer's disease we lost him over several years, and sometimes it was hard to remember what he had been like before it attacked his brain. Thanks again for taking time to share your comments, and we hope you'll "pay it forward" in someway, caring and inspiring others in whatever arena you are in, the way dad did in teaching. Carol (Neff) Filkins

Pam
Pam

February 28th, 2007, 7:19 pm #6

Your father was one of the few teachers I remember fondly from high school. He was always passionate about his teaching, never lost his temper and treated his students fairly. I learned a lot from him and feel lucky to have had him as a teacher. I'm so sorry to hear he had Alzheimers. He had a wonderful mind and was a very caring person. My prayers go out to you and your family.

May 18th, 2007, 4:11 pm #7

He WAS a fabulous man. There are only 2 teachers that I clearly remember making an impact on me and he was surely one of them I had his for Psych in 76 i think and I remember we had a group of us that went to his home and had some really cool conversations in his basement. My mother is still a member at FCC and I was so sad when he started getting ill. He will always be remembered by me.