Educators Hall of Fame Nominee Jean Guddat

Educators Hall of Fame Nominee Jean Guddat

April 21st, 2010, 6:47 pm #1

Jean Guddat has been nominated for the Upper Arlington High School Educators Hall of Fame.

Please sign in with your real name and graduation year, and tell us why you think Jean Guddat should be selected for this honor. Thank you!

Jim Mosier
Jim Mosier

April 22nd, 2010, 6:32 pm #2

I would strongly support Mrs. Guddat's election to the UAHS Educators HOF. I had her for two English classes and she was absolutely superb in teaching me composition, sentence structure, and how to write.

She was unstinting in giving her time to us.

I went on to receive a law degree (UNC 1973) and I have often thought I would not have been able to do that without her early help and teaching.

I have wished many times that I had looked her up and thanked Mrs. Guddat. I never did so this will have to do.

I believe it is teachers like Mrs. Guddat who have made UA such a great educational institution.

Jim Mosier, Class of 1966

Susan Carroll-Clark
Susan Carroll-Clark

April 22nd, 2010, 7:59 pm #3

Jean Guddat has been nominated for the Upper Arlington High School Educators Hall of Fame.

Please sign in with your real name and graduation year, and tell us why you think Jean Guddat should be selected for this honor. Thank you!
After a rather ininspiring year in 10th grade English (saved only by a fabulous student teacher near the end), I got Mrs. Guddat for Comp. She taught me how to write well, breaking of a bad habit of writing long (but gramatically correct) sentences with semicolons. I went on to take Shakespeare Seminar my senior year, which is partially responsible for my continuing love of Shakespeare even to this day. So much of my success in college and grad school was due to the skills I honed in her classes.

Susan Carroll-Clark
Susan Carroll-Clark

April 22nd, 2010, 8:17 pm #4

That should be "uninspiring" and "grammatically."

Leanne Underwood Hildebrand

April 22nd, 2010, 8:19 pm #5

I'm so glad that someone nominated Mrs. Guddat !

One of my all time favorite teachers. Took her Theater (drama analysis really) class my
senior year and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

Only wish I'd had her for English class as well - but, luck of the draw, I didn't.

She was truly an outstanding teacher and surely deserves this honor.

Class of '70

Ann Tarbutton '65
Ann Tarbutton '65

April 22nd, 2010, 8:22 pm #6

I had Mrs. Guddat for CORE in 7th grade at Jones. She had extremely high expectations for the class. She would talk about separating the "weeds from the daisies"--that is, showing who in the class really wanted to learn. We had to draw in all the states from an outline map of the United States. I remember particularly the week-long unit on Russia, where she demonstrated photos of Stalin and Lenin.

April 22nd, 2010, 8:48 pm #7

I had Mrs. Guddat for several literature classes at UAHS. The most memorable was Shakespeare Seminar. She had a brilliant way of being both totally approachable and academically demanding at the same time. She was a true lady with a love for her students and a passion for her craft. Mrs. Guddat helped us break through the somewhat daunting style of Shakespeare's writing to appreciate the humor, wit, and social commentary. I remember her classes as some of my most rigorous and superbly rewarding academic experiences EVER - and I went on to four years of college and three years of Law School.

Mrs. Guddat's legacy should definitely be honored with this posthumous award.

April 22nd, 2010, 11:42 pm #8

I had Mrs. Guddat for both 20th Century Drama and Shakespeare. She taught me the proper way to write a college level paper and increased my appreciation of all forms of drama. I particularly remember the song "Hey there Hamlet Boy" and watching the BBC version of The Taming of the Shrew with John Cleese as Petrucio. I still LOVE Shakespeare plays and have tried to pass on that love to my kids. She made class challenging, interesting and fun.

I later took a Shakespeare class at OSU and was not nearly as challenged nor did I learn as much. Mrs. Guddat had a love of learning that was infectious. I highly support her nomination to the hall of fame. I only wish I could have told her this in person. A wonderful lady.

Nancy Brownell Loomis 1984
Last edited by nbloomis on April 22nd, 2010, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 23rd, 2010, 1:23 am #9

Jean Guddat is a natural for the Educators Hall of Fame. She was inspiring and made me want to speak better and to learn what words one uses actually mean.
What a great teacher one I will never forget!

Kathleen Gruber Tatterson
Kathleen Gruber Tatterson

April 23rd, 2010, 12:26 pm #10

Mrs. Guddat was largely responsible for teaching me to write susinctly (so I'l try to do so here) Not only was she an intelligent instructor, but here enthusiasm and creativity knew no bounds. Those of us who were lucky enough have her for Shakespeare were treated to a birthday cake on the Bard's birthday (or for his "Quickening," depending on what semester you had her). And, I can still sing the words to "Hey There, Hamlet Boy".

Finally, she was all class -- too cool for school. The lessons we learned from her far exceded King Lear and Taming of the Shrew.