Educators Hall of Fame Nominee A. L. Guesman

Educators Hall of Fame Nominee A. L. Guesman

April 21st, 2010, 6:46 pm #1

A. L. Guesman has been nominated for the Upper Arlington High School Educators Hall of Fame.

Please sign in with your real name and graduation year, and tell us why you think Mr. A. L. Guesman should be selected for this honor. Thank you!

Jim Emanuelson--1949
Jim Emanuelson--1949

April 22nd, 2010, 7:05 pm #2

Mr. Guesman was the teacher that most challenged me. I went on to get my BS in Mathematics from Denison University.

James G. Phillips UA'65
James G. Phillips UA'65

April 24th, 2010, 3:15 pm #3

A. L. Guesman has been nominated for the Upper Arlington High School Educators Hall of Fame.

Please sign in with your real name and graduation year, and tell us why you think Mr. A. L. Guesman should be selected for this honor. Thank you!
I met Mr. Guesman's daughter on the bleachers in Jones Junior High School. I met Mr. Guesman while running from the band room to class, rounding a corner, and hitting him with my saxophone case. We came face-to-face many times in Junior High School, as Mike Stanley and I spent significant time sitting in the hall or on Mr. Guesman's "bad bench." I even remember the paddle sitting on the corner of his desk while we "conversed."

Over the many years I visited his home, played golf, and talked schools, kids, and education, I found him the calmest, most reasonable man I have ever known. His approach to administration, management, and leadership is best characterized by his reaction to my request to marry his daughter, Patty. Unruffled, and probably expecting it after nearly eight years together, he simply asked, "why?" He could resolve nearly any situation, at school or at home, with that thought-provoking and often embarrassing question.

Mr. Guesman was much more than my father-in-law. He was a concerned parent, consummate professional, reasonable educator and administrator in an often unreasonable profession, and great advisor and friend. I am glad I "ran into him."

Jim Phillips, UA'65

SueGuesmanLindner
SueGuesmanLindner

April 24th, 2010, 9:07 pm #4

A L Guesman lived and breathed the Gold and Black. Whether in academics, arts or athletics he was UA's biggest supporter and promoter. He pushed students to not just do better, but to do their very best. He challenged teachers and staff to give at least as much as he did each and every day. He was unfailingly honest, firm and loyal to the school community. He rejoiced in his students'/ staff's achievements and shared their sorrows. He was the ultimate Papa Bear !

Bill Fleming '53
Bill Fleming '53

April 26th, 2010, 1:01 am #5

Al Guesman was one of the finest teachers I ever encountered. Besides math, he helped us prepare for many phases of life. Whe I came home on vacation from college and medical school, I alwalys went to visit him. His early death was a tragedy for subsequent students. There was no finer person and teacher than Al Guesman.

Don Seidelmann '67
Don Seidelmann '67

April 30th, 2010, 1:50 pm #6

Calm but firm, intimidating but compassionate,conservative but freeing. Uncle Al or MISTER Guesman, he had an influence on yoour education at UAHS whenever you were there. To see the postings from 1949 to past my grad year of 67,I am further impressed by the time span that he "worked the hallways." Whether you "conversed" in his office or gathered at his home for a band function, or dated his daughter (THAT increased the "conversations"), you benefited from the experience (whether you knew it or not at the time). I am excited to know that he may be recognized for his time and influence within the Upper Arlington Schools. Thank you Mister Guesman, may MY kids turn out as well as your hundreds of kids throughout the years.

Carol Linberg Williamson "69
Carol Linberg Williamson "69

April 30th, 2010, 8:35 pm #7

I probably have very unique memories and relationship with Mr. Guesman because, yes, he was my principal but he was also like a second father to me. I grew up next door to him for the first 12 years of my life. He had a great influence in my life because I always knew how much he valued education. He made me want to do well in school and I understood that he expected alot of me and, of course, he expected alot from all students. I know that he was a diciplinarian and that some students saw mostly that side of him, or at least the "no nonsense" part of his demeanor. However, I valued that part of him because I realized how much it contributed to Upper Arlington being a school that excelled and ran well in order to give every student and teacher an atmosphere in which to learn. He gave his life to education and we needed, and need today, the kind of person who loves students and does everything necessary to make sure they can reach their potential. Mr. Guesman truly deserves this honor. He was a special person and a wonderful and dedicated educator. He encouraged students to do well in classes and to also become involved as leaders in other areas such as athletics, music, and service. I am grateful that he was a part of my education at U.A.H.S..

Patty Phillips '64
Patty Phillips '64

May 1st, 2010, 5:20 pm #8

A.L. Guesman was my principal, teacher, and, oh yes, my father. I remember two things he always said, "You can never love a child too much" and "I want to give you something no one can take away!" That "something" was an education.

I grew up in his boundless love, as did both of my sisters. We all graduated from college with degrees in Education. Through his professional example, we learned his ability to prepare classroom schedules using small squares of paper spread out on the dining room table; to motivate teachers with an "open door" policy 24 hours a day, seven days a week; and demand commitment from his students by setting high expectations.

My Dad spent his life listening to young adults, so they would be responsible enough to earn an education to provide them life-long opportunities.

He never met a student he did not want to teach! I am certain that leaving the joy of education led to his early death. While he never sought recognition for his role, nothing would make him prouder than being remembered for his years of service with, and love of, Upper Arlington schools and the students with whom he worked and learned.

Patty Phillips '64

Cheryl Cammarn Barker UAHS 1949
Cheryl Cammarn Barker UAHS 1949

June 21st, 2010, 8:24 pm #9

Mr. Guesman was a Master Teacher. He was an expert at mathematics and expected his students to put forth their very best efforts to learn the subject well. If they encountered challenges in doing this - as I did when first entering his algebra class - he gave us extra help, encouraging us to keep trying and not give up. This was a lifetime lesson for me...I eventually did well in his class and used this knowledge, work habits, and thinking skills in my college education as well as in my thirty-five year career as an elementary teacher. I am thankful for Mr. Guesman, along with many other valued teachers in the Upper Arlington School System, who all helped me receive an excellent education.