Attention all Barrington Alums

Attention all Barrington Alums

January 19th, 2007, 4:33 am #1

Today I met with a bunch of retired Barrington teachers for lunch. Nineteen of them showed up, and it was fabulous!!!

I have posted photos from our lunch on the main Bearalums.com site, and you can see them here:

http://www.bearalums.com/

The teachers who attended, and whose pictures you can see, were:

EJ Bowman
Marlene Harbert
Lu Sarver
Corky Burton
Doryce Lewis
Betty Gaumer
Marge Cross
Barbara Boggs
Normal Taylor
Pat Moats
Mariruth Seubert
Bobbi Thompson
Nancy Parks
Barb Courtright
Audrey Trotier
Peggy Glenn
Myra Dull
Ellen Clark

This was a wonderful group of women with whom to teach; and the fun thing was, I taught sixth grade across the hall from my own sixth grade teacher, Barb Boggs!

Peter Williams
Peter Williams

January 19th, 2007, 9:32 pm #2

Hello Mrs. Boggs and All,

I have so many fond memories of you all. Thank you for your many years of service.

I had Mrs. Sarver the first year she taught (1974) . For years after Kindergarten I'd ask my mother, "Do you know where I learned that?” The answer was always Mrs. Sarver.

I also had Mrs. Glenn the first year she taught. I was her favorite paper passer.

Mrs. Boggs...Gee whiz what can I say except I'm sorry. I think my class drove to you to the brink. So glad you hung on and I'm sure there're many others that are glad as well. You gave me an old button collection that I kept for many years. I've held on to some of the best including some Nixon buttons.

I had Mrs. Parks for third grade. I think I was so smitten with a little red headed girl named Hillary that I missed much of that year. I forgot Hillary's last name but haven’t forgotten Mrs. Parks.

Mrs. Bowman I remember being stern but fair. She taught me so many things but one thing in particular stands out. Take you hat off when you’re indoors.

I didn't have class with Mrs. Clark. But I remember the boys lining up for hugs. Judging by the pictures, they probably still are.

I hope you all remember me but if not that’s ok. Just know that you all made a difference.

Best Wishes to you all,
Peter Williams
Class of 1987

P.S. Does anybody remember what happened to Mrs. Ahern? She was my first grader teacher.

Me Again
Me Again

January 20th, 2007, 5:13 pm #3

I tried so hard with my grammar but then misspelled Barrington in the subject line. Same old me. : )

January 20th, 2007, 7:03 pm #4

Hello Mrs. Boggs and All,

I have so many fond memories of you all. Thank you for your many years of service.

I had Mrs. Sarver the first year she taught (1974) . For years after Kindergarten I'd ask my mother, "Do you know where I learned that?” The answer was always Mrs. Sarver.

I also had Mrs. Glenn the first year she taught. I was her favorite paper passer.

Mrs. Boggs...Gee whiz what can I say except I'm sorry. I think my class drove to you to the brink. So glad you hung on and I'm sure there're many others that are glad as well. You gave me an old button collection that I kept for many years. I've held on to some of the best including some Nixon buttons.

I had Mrs. Parks for third grade. I think I was so smitten with a little red headed girl named Hillary that I missed much of that year. I forgot Hillary's last name but haven’t forgotten Mrs. Parks.

Mrs. Bowman I remember being stern but fair. She taught me so many things but one thing in particular stands out. Take you hat off when you’re indoors.

I didn't have class with Mrs. Clark. But I remember the boys lining up for hugs. Judging by the pictures, they probably still are.

I hope you all remember me but if not that’s ok. Just know that you all made a difference.

Best Wishes to you all,
Peter Williams
Class of 1987

P.S. Does anybody remember what happened to Mrs. Ahern? She was my first grader teacher.
I will print this out and send it to each of the teachers, along with copies of the pictures I took, since many of them do not use computers and won't see them online.

I am sorry to report that Mrs. Ahern is quite ill with leukemia. She doesn't live here in Columbus anymore; I can find out more for you.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, and for your nice memories of these teachers. I was truly blessed to be teaching alongside these ladies at Barrington. I attended Barrington when I was a child, and Mrs. Boggs was MY 6th grade teacher too! I had her the very first year she taught, back in (geez, I am old!) 1962. We thought she was the coolest teacher ever!

Remember Mr. Jim Snyder? He was another 6th grade teacher back then. He would have been at the lunch, except he's smarter than the rest of us, and he and his wife, Susan, spend the winters in Naples, Florida.

I do remember you, Peter! All the 6th graders worked on Shakespeare together, so I learned who the kiddos from each class were.

Jim Barton (class of '88)
Jim Barton (class of '88)

January 21st, 2007, 11:26 pm #5

Today I met with a bunch of retired Barrington teachers for lunch. Nineteen of them showed up, and it was fabulous!!!

I have posted photos from our lunch on the main Bearalums.com site, and you can see them here:

EJ Bowman
Marlene Harbert
Lu Sarver
Corky Burton
Doryce Lewis
Betty Gaumer
Marge Cross
Barbara Boggs
Normal Taylor
Pat Moats
Mariruth Seubert
Bobbi Thompson
Nancy Parks
Barb Courtright
Audrey Trotier
Peggy Glenn
Myra Dull
Ellen Clark

This was a wonderful group of women with whom to teach; and the fun thing was, I taught sixth grade across the hall from my own sixth grade teacher, Barb Boggs!
Mrs. Sarver was always a favorite of mine. Thirty or so years later I still remember my Kindergarten teacher, that says a lot about the type of person she is. I can only hope my children will have teachers that they will remember for a lifetime. Thank you Mrs. Sarver, you look today exactly as I remember you.

Jim Barton

Peter Williams
Peter Williams

January 22nd, 2007, 3:58 pm #6

I will print this out and send it to each of the teachers, along with copies of the pictures I took, since many of them do not use computers and won't see them online.

I am sorry to report that Mrs. Ahern is quite ill with leukemia. She doesn't live here in Columbus anymore; I can find out more for you.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, and for your nice memories of these teachers. I was truly blessed to be teaching alongside these ladies at Barrington. I attended Barrington when I was a child, and Mrs. Boggs was MY 6th grade teacher too! I had her the very first year she taught, back in (geez, I am old!) 1962. We thought she was the coolest teacher ever!

Remember Mr. Jim Snyder? He was another 6th grade teacher back then. He would have been at the lunch, except he's smarter than the rest of us, and he and his wife, Susan, spend the winters in Naples, Florida.

I do remember you, Peter! All the 6th graders worked on Shakespeare together, so I learned who the kiddos from each class were.
I sent some links to David Uldricks so hopefully he'll check in. I love that picture of "The Superfine 29". I'm sure David will get a kick out of it too. I see Mark Cummings from time to time. He lives (I think) on Guilford about a block from Barrington. As I recall he is an adhesives salesman for Henkel and is doing very well. So much glue in the world. Mark and one of my older brothers have girls the same age and were involved in Indian Princess together. I'm pretty sure Mark and I were in Indian Guides together. Funny how things come full circle. I'm actually a little surprised the group is still active and they haven't stamped it "Politically Incorrect' yet.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 22nd, 2007, 6:55 pm #7

Thats too bad. I was under the impression that Leukemia was something people got earlier in life. I would imagine she must be getting up in years by now. Do you know when she moved or retired? I don't necessarily want to contact her but was somewhat curious.

January 24th, 2007, 9:36 pm #8

Shirley retired a very long time ago and like you, I imagine she is getting up there. I taught with her 26 years ago, or something like that, and she had white hair then! She was probably in her 50's, so that puts her in her 70's now. Wow. It's been so long since I've seen her that I can't imagine her in her 70's!

I believe she lives in Florida, but I'm not positive. I'll askJimSnyder; I think he has stayed in touch with her.

Shirley was a fun staff member - always the life of the aprty!

Peter Williams '87
Peter Williams '87

January 25th, 2007, 6:45 pm #9

Me?.. Getting up there? No way! Like Rod Stewart puts it - I'm forever young. Seriously though, I meant no disrespect by my "up there" comment. She was/is a very nice lady. She taught me to read while Mrs. Glenn polished my skills.

Interesting/curious to hear that she was the life of the party though. As a young person you never really consider your teachers personality outside the classroom.

Marta Clark Mojzer
Marta Clark Mojzer

January 26th, 2007, 3:37 am #10

EJ Bowman
Marlene Harbert
Lu Sarver
Corky Burton
Doryce Lewis
Betty Gaumer
Marge Cross
Barbara Boggs
Normal Taylor
Pat Moats
Mariruth Seubert
Bobbi Thompson
Nancy Parks
Barb Courtright
Audrey Trotier
Peggy Glenn
Myra Dull
Ellen Clark

It was fun to look at this. I went to Barrington from 1960-1966 and unfortunately, the only one I even recognized was Barbara Boggs. Did you teach with Joanne Barrere - she was my 6th grade teacher but was probably gone before you got there. She was there with Mrs. Boggs though. Would love to contact her. A few years ago someone told me she still lived on Zollinger. Do you know? She was the best.