Bobby V being Bobby V

Bobby V being Bobby V

ThinMan

16 Apr 2012, 15:40 #1

I'm guessing we're going to have many opportunities to discuss the foibles of our new skipper as the season wears on. Here's the first.

Bobby V calls out Youk in the media

Youk confused, Bobby V apologizes

"I don't know what Bobby's trying to do, but that's not the way we do things here," said Pedroia. "Maybe that stuff works in Japan."
“I think I was just saving all my postseason wins for the Red Sox.”—David Price

tracey

16 Apr 2012, 19:42 #2

ThinMan @ Apr 16 2012, 10:40 AM wrote: I'm guessing we're going to have many opportunities to discuss the foibles of our new skipper as the season wears on. Here's the first.

"I don't know what Bobby's trying to do, but that's not the way we do things here," said Pedroia. "Maybe that stuff works in Japan."
we knew what we were getting,this is just the begiining folks,cant wait til he takes on petey.
FUCK THE YANKEES

rominer

16 Apr 2012, 21:32 #3

tracey @ Apr 16 2012, 11:42 AM wrote:
we knew what we were getting,this is just the begiining folks,cant wait til he takes on petey.
I think we knew what we were getting, and it's more disappointing than it is surprising that a player would get blindsided in the media.

But to me, Pedroia's response is a good sign, not a bad one.
Check it out. An avatar.
____

Fine.

Offbase

16 Apr 2012, 22:13 #4

tracey @ Apr 16 2012, 03:42 PM wrote:
ThinMan @ Apr 16 2012, 10:40 AM wrote: I'm guessing we're going to have many opportunities to discuss the foibles of our new skipper as the season wears on. Here's the first.

If he does he'll lose again, just as he did today.

More from Extra bases:

Posted by Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff April 16, 2012 04:04 PM
Is it over?
Ben Cherington, Bobby Valentine, Kevin Youkilis, and Dustin Pedroia think so. At least that's what they all said following a 1-0 loss to Tampa Bay Monday.
The first major firestorm between Valentine and a player came to a head Monday morning when Youkilis responded to criticism from Valentine on WHDH's "Sports Xtra" Sunday night.
The firestorm began when Valentine said he was merely responding to a question which was posed that Youkilis was not “Youk-like” to start the season. Youklilis started 0 for 8, sat a game, went 0 for 4 and then started to hit. He didn’t play Monday because of a sore groin.
Valentine told Ch. 7, "I don't think he's as physically or emotionally into the game as he has been in the past for some reason," said Valentine. "But [on Saturday] it seemed, you know, he's seeing the ball well, got those two walks, got his on-base percentage up higher than his batting average, which is always a good thing, and he'll move on from there."
Valentine apologized for upsetting Youkilis and then said he had two conversations with the third baseman during Monday's game and thought things were fine. Youkilis said after the game that he spoke to Valentine and, “We’re fine.”
Second baseman Dustin Pedroia also responded with comments defending Youkilis and being critical of his new manager, but even he acknowledged a meeting with Valentine and indicated all was well. Valentine said, “[Pedroia] said we’re cool.”
Cherington wound up mediating the dispute.
“I think as with many things in baseball and life, the more you get a chance to talk about it and understand what people mean were and how they perceived something, that’s what allows you to get past it. Kevin and Bobby spoke. I spoke to Bobby, I spoke to Kevin. What needed to be said has been said and we’ll move forward,” Cherington said.
The GM said repeatedly after speaking to Valentine he felt the quote didn’t reflect what he was trying to say.
“I was surprised to see the quote. I didn’t see the interview live, but I had it in that context. I was surprised because that’s not something Bobby had expressed to me. And we’ve all seen Kevin play for a long time and never wondered why he wasn’t into the game. He plays hard every day. That’s why it’s important to talk about it. I understood better what happened and we were able to talk through it,” Cherington said.
Asked what he thought Valentine was trying to say, Cherington explained “[Valentine] hadn’t seen the same player on the field that we have all seen in the past. So he acknowledged that first of all, and said it was not the best way to express it. He told the same thing to Kevin and apologized. He had a chance to explain what he meant. I think we’ll all learn from it and handle it differently next time.”

What else can they say or do? We'll find out soon enough if any learning took place.
""Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona." widely attributed.

macs3rd

17 Apr 2012, 02:14 #5

ESPN Baseball tonight: Tito and Nomar discuss Bobby V., comments tonight

Monday night 10 pm
They're here. Every April, they're here. At 1:05 or at 7:05, there is a game. And if it gets rained out, guess what? They make it up to you.

macs3rd

17 Apr 2012, 02:19 #6

You tell'm Pedey!! I hope Bobby V learns from this, he sure was squirming when asked about it
Francona comments that what happens in the clubhouse should stay in the playhouse. Titos' comments classy as always.
They're here. Every April, they're here. At 1:05 or at 7:05, there is a game. And if it gets rained out, guess what? They make it up to you.

OhioSoxFan

17 Apr 2012, 11:46 #7

I must confess that I didn't know squat about Bobby V prior to him becoming a coach.

But it's clear that he has a real problem with filtering what goes form his brain to his mouth. He simply seems incapable of stopping an reflecting for a second on how what he's about to say might be perceived by others. To be blunt, he's horribly insensitive.

I don't see him, at his age, suddenly "getting it".

I see him being a one year coach, and making Tito look really good in the process.

It's a shame, because I think he's a good coach. He just sucks at building trust and showing respect for his players.

Interesting aside: I'm working on a new business concept (that likely will end up being a book) called "Corporate culture of honor". Bobby needs to read my (future) book!
:thumbup:

rominer

17 Apr 2012, 19:29 #8

The more I think about this...

If it came from anyone other than Bobby Valentine, and it came at anytime other than on the heels of the 2011 disaster, would this still be an international incident?

What I see here, that I don't remember seeing so much last year (although I'm sure it happened, and the memory is altered a bit by how the year ended), is that a teammate stood up for another teammate.

There's a preconceived story line here: The Red Sox clubhouse is toxic. Bobby Valentine is a lit match. Disaster is inevitable.

Everything that happens gets put into that story line: David Ortiz playing first base more/earlier in the spring than usual, and that's the first sign that the veterans are going to start tuning out the manager. Valentine sings the praises of a shortstop prospect, and there's an unbridgeable divide between the manager and the front office. Josh Beckett has his thumb checked out before the season, and it means that Beckett is on his own program and doesn't care about the team. Valentine has other relievers warming in the pen while his new, untested closer is in the game, and it's a sign of panic. The Sox get off to a slow start, and it's evidence of a chemistry issue. Bobby Valentine does what Bobby Valentine does – talks about a player in the media – and it's all going to fall apart.

Yeah, maybe. To me, one sentence from Dustin Pedroia, taking charge and standing up for a teammate, says more about the state of the clubhouse and the state of the team.

The preferred story line is that, while for 29 other teams baseball is indeed a 162 game season played over 6 months with countless peaks and valleys, for the Red Sox, we can infer far-reaching meaning from any one game, at bat, or incident. And especially when that far-reaching meaning is "disaster."

I tend to think that maybe the Red Sox, like every other team, are going to have ups and downs on and off the field. And it's no big deal.
Check it out. An avatar.
____

Fine.

tracey

17 Apr 2012, 19:53 #9

OhioSoxFan @ Apr 17 2012, 06:46 AM wrote: I must confess that I didn't know squat about Bobby V prior to him becoming a coach.

But it's clear that he has a real problem with filtering what goes form his brain to his mouth. He simply seems incapable of stopping an reflecting for a second on how what he's about to say might be perceived by others. To be blunt, he's horribly insensitive.

I don't see him, at his age, suddenly "getting it".

I see him being a one year coach, and making Tito look really good in the process.

It's a shame, because I think he's a good coach. He just sucks at building trust and showing respect for his players.

Interesting aside: I'm working on a new business concept (that likely will end up being a book) called "Corporate culture of honor". Bobby needs to read my (future) book!
i bet vaentine never takes on petey,he,the boston press andfans will run him out of town.
FUCK THE YANKEES

OhioSoxFan

17 Apr 2012, 20:03 #10

Rom, FWIW, I agree. Actually, I think it's mostly the media making a big deal about it. If I'd been at the press conference, I probably would not have thought twice about what Bobby said, because he went on to praise him after sort of saying he's not rolling the way he'd seen him roll in the past. Not the best choice of words, but we've all done that . . .

But the media, oh my, they went nuts running it over and over.

Yikes! Oh and welcome to Boston, Bobby! :thud:
:thumbup: