ALCS vs. the Tampa Bay Rays

Moderator: Free Agent Blogger

ALCS vs. the Tampa Bay Rays

Joined: 08 Mar 2007, 02:01

07 Oct 2008, 05:10 #1

Here come the Rays.

Discuss.
Ready for a winning streak...
Reply
Like

Joined: 14 Dec 2006, 12:10

07 Oct 2008, 11:39 #2

Sox Sweep Again @ Oct 7 2008, 12:10 AM wrote: Here come the Rays.

Discuss.
WOW1 :woohoo: .Last nite i got up at 8.45 that was ok,but when i went for my laptop to join you guys,my oldest had stolen my laptop,Mrs Tracey went back to work on hers.That crime was bad enough but than in tracey fashion I watched the game, and remember the halos 9th,you know when they had no outs and 2 on I shut the game off in surrender.Let the pelting begin :rofl: :VBG:
FUCK THE YANKEES
Reply
Like

Joined: 12 Dec 2006, 12:10

07 Oct 2008, 12:07 #3

Hey tracey, I was just worrying about you.
I have the same thing here, we only have one tv hooked up to the dish. So if the games on, and they've rented a movie or something, I'm on audio anyway.
It's all good Finally ordered my new laptop, it will be here for the World Series. :YAHOO:
They're here. Every April, they're here. At 1:05 or at 7:05, there is a game. And if it gets rained out, guess what? They make it up to you.
Reply
Like

Joined: 14 Dec 2006, 12:10

07 Oct 2008, 14:35 #4

macs3rd @ Oct 7 2008, 07:07 AM wrote: Hey tracey, I was just worrying about you.
I have the same thing here, we only have one tv hooked up to the dish. So if the games on, and they've rented a movie or something, I'm on audio anyway.
It's all good Finally ordered my new laptop, it will be here for the World Series. :YAHOO:
i got an injection that knocked me into mars yesterday.i feel better finally today and this may finally be behind.now for the sox and rays.the sox appear to be fighting a team of destiny,with a healthy lowell and beckett there is little doubt that this team can beat destiny,without them im not sure.thankgod they did not go to the west coast win and have togo to tampa,this will be a really good series as both teams have a lot of ways to score runs
FUCK THE YANKEES
Reply
Like

Joined: 12 Dec 2006, 07:05

07 Oct 2008, 14:43 #5

It would not surprise me to see this series go to 7 games, with the Sox ultimately winning 4-3.
"I think I was just saving all my postseason wins for the Red Sox.”-David Price
Reply
Like

Joined: 14 Dec 2006, 03:00

07 Oct 2008, 16:55 #6

ThinMan @ Oct 7 2008, 09:43 AM wrote: It would not surprise me to see this series go to 7 games, with the Sox ultimately winning 4-3.
It's going to be a stressul couple of weekends, I agree. This one has legendary battle written all over it. The teams fought hard (literally and figuratively) all year to get to this point. The Sox have been through some battles, so have the Rays. The Rays are loaded with young talent, so are the Sox. The new kids on the block have displaced the MFYs, but they still have to contend with the defending champs.

The rest helps the Sox more, as maybe Lowell feels good enough to make a contribution, maybe Beckett's oblique gets just enough better that he can be effective in 2 starts and pick up 1 win.

With the rotation, you could go:
Dice @TB (6 days)
Lester @TB (4 days)
Beckett (7 days)
Byrd
Lester (4 days)
Dice @TB (7 days)
Beckett @TB (5 days)

Dice and Beckett get a little extra rest and you get Lester at home.
“Did you bring your glasses for the laser show?”
Reply
Like

Joined: 14 Dec 2006, 12:10

07 Oct 2008, 19:33 #7

soxfaninnyc @ Oct 7 2008, 11:55 AM wrote: It's going to be a stressul couple of weekends, I agree.  This one has legendary battle written all over it.  The teams fought hard (literally and figuratively) all year to get to this point.  The Sox have been through some battles, so have the Rays.  The Rays are loaded with young talent, so are the Sox.  The new kids on the block have displaced the MFYs, but they still have to contend with the defending champs. 

The rest helps the Sox more, as maybe Lowell feels good enough to make a contribution, maybe Beckett's oblique gets just enough better that he can be effective in 2 starts and pick up 1 win. 

With the rotation, you could go:
Dice @TB (6 days)
Lester @TB (4 days)
Beckett (7 days)
Byrd
Lester (4 days)
Dice @TB (7 days)
Beckett @TB (5 days)

Dice and Beckett get a little extra rest and you get Lester at home.
My understanding is lowell is out for thisseries,but unless we can put out a decent and healthy 3rd starter i dont see how we win tis one,if we do,im with Thin we get it in seven as experience counts.
FUCK THE YANKEES
Reply
Like

Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 17:21

07 Oct 2008, 19:58 #8

tracey @ Oct 7 2008, 02:33 PM wrote:
soxfaninnyc @ Oct 7 2008, 11:55 AM wrote: It's going to be a stressul couple of weekends, I agree.  This one has legendary battle written all over it.  The teams fought hard (literally and figuratively) all year to get to this point.  The Sox have been through some battles, so have the Rays.  The Rays are loaded with young talent, so are the Sox.  The new kids on the block have displaced the MFYs, but they still have to contend with the defending champs. 

The rest helps the Sox more, as maybe Lowell feels good enough to make a contribution, maybe Beckett's oblique gets just enough better that he can be effective in 2 starts and pick up 1 win. 

With the rotation, you could go:
Dice @TB (6 days)
Lester @TB (4 days)
Beckett (7 days)
Byrd
Lester (4 days)
Dice @TB (7 days)
Beckett @TB (5 days)

Dice and Beckett get a little extra rest and you get Lester at home.
My understanding is lowell is out for thisseries,but unless we can put out a decent and healthy 3rd starter i dont see how we win tis one,if we do,im with Thin we get it in seven as experience counts.
Rominer seems to think that Nuke is healthy. If so, then the pitching is fine, as we can go 4-5 deep in starters if need be.

I think we get this one in 6, maybe 5.
Pride is what separates excellence from mediocrity
Reply
Like

Joined: 14 Dec 2006, 12:10

07 Oct 2008, 20:05 #9

ghostofdouggriffin @ Oct 7 2008, 02:58 PM wrote:
tracey @ Oct 7 2008, 02:33 PM wrote:
soxfaninnyc @ Oct 7 2008, 11:55 AM wrote: It's going to be a stressul couple of weekends, I agree.  This one has legendary battle written all over it.  The teams fought hard (literally and figuratively) all year to get to this point.  The Sox have been through some battles, so have the Rays.  The Rays are loaded with young talent, so are the Sox.  The new kids on the block have displaced the MFYs, but they still have to contend with the defending champs. 

The rest helps the Sox more, as maybe Lowell feels good enough to make a contribution, maybe Beckett's oblique gets just enough better that he can be effective in 2 starts and pick up 1 win. 

With the rotation, you could go:
Dice @TB (6 days)
Lester @TB (4 days)
Beckett (7 days)
Byrd
Lester (4 days)
Dice @TB (7 days)
Beckett @TB (5 days)

Dice and Beckett get a little extra rest and you get Lester at home.
My understanding is lowell is out for thisseries,but unless we can put out a decent and healthy 3rd starter i dont see how we win tis one,if we do,im with Thin we get it in seven as experience counts.
Rominer seems to think that Nuke is healthy. If so, then the pitching is fine, as we can go 4-5 deep in starters if need be.

I think we get this one in 6, maybe 5.
tbs.the herald,as awell as tim k at espn nelieve josh is still not right.
FUCK THE YANKEES
Reply
Like

Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 20:55

07 Oct 2008, 21:07 #10

ghostofdouggriffin @ Oct 7 2008, 12:58 PM wrote: Rominer seems to think that Nuke is healthy. If so, then the pitching is fine, as we can go 4-5 deep in starters if need be.
I might be wrong. I've only been saying that the things from that start that you were pointing to as signs of injury could just as easily be explained by other factors. I hope he's healthy and ready to dominate. I obviously don't really know one way or the other. Either way, he pitched well enough to at least give the Sox a chance to win Game 3. Hopefully, he can take another step forward from there.

The one thing the Rays have that the Angels clearly didn't once they lost Game 1 is confidence that they can beat the Red Sox. The Angels might have been confident after dominating the regular season series, and after winning 100 games – but they didn't sound confident once they lost. They kept playing, they didn't quit, but their play on the field and their postgame comments both say otherwise.

How do you break the Rays' confidence? All year long, we thought that an injury, or a losing streak, or a blowout loss was going to be the beginning of the end for a team playing over its head. Never happened. They always bounced back. They've still never played a do-or-die game, though. If the Sox jump out 2-0, do they panic? If the Sox are up 3-1, or 3-2, or it reaches Game 7, do they panic?

I don't know if breaking their spirit is an option. The key, I think, is going to be wearing down their bullpen. Things line up very nicely for them if their starters can go 6. Don't let the starters go 6. Make guys pitch multiple innings out of their pen. Make them throw pitches. Normally, you'd think that winning the first game is always a key to the series. Here, winning Game 1 might just be a bonus. If you keep it close, make them work, and get a good long look at those guys, it will pay dividends later on.

Their offense is good, not great. Their starting pitching is good, but not as good as Boston's (if Beckett is indeed healthy). Their bullpen is great – not only at holding leads, but at keeping them in games while they try to chip away at leads.

Get to their bullpen early in the series, and you might physically neutralize their biggest strength and advantage. If you're lucky, you might just get in someone's head along the way. Break one link in that bullpen chain, and things are looking up.

Sox in six.
Check it out. An avatar.
____

Fine.
Reply
Like