Observations from the last few weeks

Observations from the last few weeks

January 29th, 2012, 6:57 pm #1

I think the ams are finally on the map for respectability and it shows in the way teams play them. Certainly the last few weeks have been tough and the competition has been more than tough. Spokane, Portland, Kamloops, Edmonton, Red Deer, and today's game with a strong Calgary team. All of the teams played recently are fighting for tops in the league or fighting hard for a playoff spot(RD). I don't really see any glaring problems with the ams except D-zone turnovers. These turnovers aren't occaisional, they are frighteningly regular. Luckily both Rimmer and Comrie have played very well and somewhat absorbed these d-zone mistakes.

So in turn, teams are really pressuring our defensemen and I haven't seen much change in how the team gets out of the d-zone.

Compared to years past, I am not overly concerned with the mediocre play of late. They have been in contention in all of the games except the drubbing Portland layed on them. Past years you saw the team getting blown out during the current stretch we're in.

Bottom line, I really hope the guys can surge through this rough patch and emerge a stronger, tested, and battle ready for the rest of the season and playoffs. I think this year, may be the year where this trumultuous time may be of help to the guys.

Moving forward.

January 30th, 2012, 1:12 am #2

Was not very good at all. In fact quite bad....

Nough said..

January 30th, 2012, 1:13 am #3

I think the ams are finally on the map for respectability and it shows in the way teams play them. Certainly the last few weeks have been tough and the competition has been more than tough. Spokane, Portland, Kamloops, Edmonton, Red Deer, and today's game with a strong Calgary team. All of the teams played recently are fighting for tops in the league or fighting hard for a playoff spot(RD). I don't really see any glaring problems with the ams except D-zone turnovers. These turnovers aren't occaisional, they are frighteningly regular. Luckily both Rimmer and Comrie have played very well and somewhat absorbed these d-zone mistakes.

So in turn, teams are really pressuring our defensemen and I haven't seen much change in how the team gets out of the d-zone.

Compared to years past, I am not overly concerned with the mediocre play of late. They have been in contention in all of the games except the drubbing Portland layed on them. Past years you saw the team getting blown out during the current stretch we're in.

Bottom line, I really hope the guys can surge through this rough patch and emerge a stronger, tested, and battle ready for the rest of the season and playoffs. I think this year, may be the year where this trumultuous time may be of help to the guys.

Moving forward.
Are a glaring mistake that has been happening a lot every game. Also they are taking a lot more penalties now then they were before. I hope this slump gets worked out soon but it appears as if they are falling from elite to mediocre. Time will tell and we know the talent is there.

January 30th, 2012, 2:08 am #4

face it, they finally have some competition, not everett, seattle every other game
they were dominated!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 30th, 2012, 2:33 pm #5

Moving forward.
...the recent bad play and the clamp down on the diving of Shinnimin.

Before his suspension, the Ams were much more competitive. Now that Shinny knows he can't dive all the time, the Ams' play has suffered.

Just trying to anticipate what might be posted on Cheaps Chatter or the whiteboard.

January 30th, 2012, 3:52 pm #6

True! I have noticed that sense we hit the second half the diving just is not as effective. Darn! I find it so funny the people actually believe that is why the Ams were winning games. If that was the truth the Ams would need a lot stronger power play in the first place. I can't wait till they get back on track and shut everyone up. Coaches need to take control and get them clicking again.

GO AMS GO

January 30th, 2012, 5:45 pm #7

ups and downs happen throughout the course of a season. Let's just hope they can bounce back and turn things the other way again. I'm glad this is happening now, rather than March/ April. At least they know they can be beat on any given night if they don't bring the A game.

January 30th, 2012, 6:49 pm #8

This is the way junior hockey goes but I thought this kind of thing happened last year at this time during the season and the team never fully recovered to the previous level of play and had an early exit in the playoffs. Is it maybe just because other teams are better in the second half?