Zone 4

Zone 4

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:47 pm #1

Hello, All

I was just wondering what was going on with Zone 4 and their field lacrosse?

We played against the Orillia/Barrie Midget team last year and they could compete every game, they also knocked us out of the qualiiers last year but I see this year they all have their own teams and they won't be very strong individually.

Orillia will most likely be a little better because of individual talent but what I was wondering is why, doesn't Zone 4 put a team together?

We have players going to Newmarket instead of staying in zone 4 , I just think it would be better to keep your zone together.

So, there is no problems with coaching. Take one coach from each center?

just ideas.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:52 pm #2

I think that the challenge, if you're organizing things in Innisfil, Barrie, Orillia, or Huntsville, is that you see a core group of interested field players and want to build out from there. If you keep on sending those dedicated field lovers to other locations, you never attract the curious kids from box and the game never grows in your centre.

Barrie didn't have a Novice field team last year, so my son and a few of his friends played for Innisfil. It was a tremendous experience and, with an Orillia player on the team as well, they really felt like a bit of a Zone 4 rep team (sorry Hawks, lol!). They wound up winning the "D" provincials, so the coaches did a great job of pulling together players from three different organizations together in a short period of time.

The thing is, kids who are obsessed with field like my son are pretty rare. Barrie had two full rep box teams in his age group last year, but only five of those kids played field lacrosse. That's only 15% of rep players, and none of the house league kids. Some were interested in playing, but were not going to do so in a neighbouring centre (whether because of extra driving, rivalry, or whatever). While a "Simcoe County Reps" type of team might remove some of the political/rivalry type of objections, it really isn't a sound strategy to build participation levels.

We need to attract as many players (both from the box, and from other sports) into field lacrosse and having an Orillia kid play in Huntsville, or a Barrie kid play in Innisfil really won't drive such growth. My son and I recruited three brand new players for his team - kids without any previous lacrosse experience. The short season and relatively low cost (compared to box, anyway) made it an easy sell to their parents. These kids have already fallen in love with the game, and will likely migrate into box next year. I can't imagine that anyone of them would have been playing in a zone team scenario.

This year, Barrie has field teams in all five age groups. In Novice & Peewee alone, that's probably 25-30 kids who would not be playing if there was a single zone team. So, while my son would have loved to play with his friends and coaches again in Innisfil, it really is better that Barrie has a team in his age group so that more boys get exposed to the game.

Just my two cents - I certainly agree that the teams will be weaker on the field, especially in the early going, but that's why field has flexible divisions!

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:34 am #3

Hello, All

We played against the Orillia/Barrie Midget team last year and they could compete every game, they also knocked us out of the qualiiers last year but I see this year they all have their own teams and they won't be very strong individually.

Orillia will most likely be a little better because of individual talent but what I was wondering is why, doesn't Zone 4 put a team together?

We have players going to Newmarket instead of staying in zone 4 , I just think it would be better to keep your zone together.

just ideas.
It's good that Barrie and Orillia can each field a team this year but does Barrie now have enough players that they can release some to Newmarket?

Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:36 pm #4

I was told Barrie (Midget) has to use Bantam players to even field a team, That will make for a long season for these boys.

Why? does Newmarket need players, I heard Innisfil players were going to Newmarket.

I just feel it's not about the kids anymore and were not putting them in a position to learn.

Thanks.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:14 pm #5

I don't especially disagree with you, I was just presenting the other perspective. As I said, my son would have loved to move up to Peewee field with his Innisfil teammates and coaches. At the end of the day, though, he just wants to be out on a field playing lacrosse. This season will probably be a long one, but he has a great coach and a bunch of friends / box teammates on the field team. Hopefully they'll gel and the brand new players will become life-long LAX lovers.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:07 pm #6

I was told Barrie (Midget) has to use Bantam players to even field a team, That will make for a long season for these boys.

Why? does Newmarket need players, I heard Innisfil players were going to Newmarket.

I just feel it's not about the kids anymore and were not putting them in a position to learn.

Thanks.
"I just feel it's not about the kids anymore and were not putting them in a position to learn." - Agree. Not commenting on any of the associatioins mentioned above but in minor some associations / coaches want to win and some want to train. Good training usually leads to winning. I've never understood why an association would want players from another centre unless the centres agreed they have to combine due to low registrations. When these players hit Jr. age they have to return to their place of residence. Why train another centres players if you're going to lose them.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:26 pm #7

Why train another centres players if you're going to lose them. ?

My thinking is, we as parents, Coaches, Organization board members is to get all lacrosse players to play their best.

I would not care what centre they came from, if he/she wanted to learn. I would be very happy to be part of their growth in the game.

If they went back to a different centre the next year, I would hope I helped make him/her a better player and person.

This bitterness towards other centres, is crap. Lets just help produce better lax players.

Thank you

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:19 pm #8

No bitterness toward other cenres at all, quite the opposite. I'd like to see all centres grow and prosper, but with their own players. Residency is the issue. If players (parents) were allowed to go where they thought they would learn the most the strong would get stronger and the others would eventually cease to exist. We should be able to get our own kids to want to learn and play their best. Bringing in players from other centres, especially if they displace resident players, isn't sustainable. I'd rather train players from my own centre and prepare them for Jr./Sr. If they reside elsewhere you DO lose them when they hit Jr. age. Then you end up with a weak Jr. system that none of your minors aspire to playing for.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:42 pm #9

Hello, All

just ideas.
Your son played on the Orillia Bantam Field team last year how did he also play against the Orillia/Midget team too?