You can lock it down here...

You can lock it down here...

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:12 pm #1

...but this has exploded all over the North American news media due to the Boy Scout angle. Google it.

Further, it is not defamation to report that someone has been charged with a crime - there is an absolute defence if it is factual.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:21 pm #2

Agreed...reposting a new article does not open yourself up todefamation of character.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:23 pm #3

...but this has exploded all over the North American news media due to the Boy Scout angle. Google it.

Further, it is not defamation to report that someone has been charged with a crime - there is an absolute defence if it is factual.
She:kon!

It isn't the link I am too concerned about, it is the commentary that follows and I am sure you understand my point.  Despite appearances, I am not on the forum all the time to moderate, nor do I want to be.  And in the few years I have been around the wonderful OLA Fan Forum folks, some issues can ignite pretty quickly despite the rather level headedness of most posters.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:40 am #4

I do see your point. I do not however agree with you removing the article. It is certainly a relevant and quite possibly important piece of lacrosse news. I would counter that it should be shared and everyone who comes here should be made aware of it. You could have left the link and closed down the commentary. Instead it looks like we are sweeping this under the rug and afraid to talk about it. It is the hush hush attitude that has lead to and allowed to carry on scandals such as those involving Sandusky and Graham James.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:13 am #5

I am not preventing anyone from making a comment on the issue at all, just removing names.  The problem becomes one of anonymous people making attacks on identifiable people, especially those who stand accused of some very serious and sensitive crimes, but who have not had the benefit of a fair hearing.  The idiot that I banned earlier was a prime example of the moronic hysterical shrill that can surround this sort of thing.  Completely stupid and out of line and I don't have time for that line of "discussion."

This is the balance we have here.  I allow anonymous posting for good reason and I don't want to change that.  However, if you - or anyone else - wants to publically identify yourself here, I allow more leeway with what can be posted about others since the ownership of the comments can be traced to a real person.  There are a few here who have no problem owning up to what they write.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:41 am #6

You've worked with ---- -----; I can understand you feel betrayed. There is still no reasoning behind defeneding someone who has been accused of the sexual assault of young boys.

These allegations are by no means shocking and those within the Whitby lacrosse community have been mumbling about this for a long time.

Last edited by tsitshoh on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:01 am #7

No, I have never worked with him, never volunteered with the WMLA nor do I volunteer with the Warriors and I don't think I have ever met him other than a couple of emails and one recent phone call. So I guess you don't know what you are talking about do you? Funny, you use assertive language like you think you know what you are talking about, but all you have is BS.

So I guess a guy who cowardly hides behind an anonymous screen name to wildly accuse others without consequences, really doesn't know what he is talking about does he/she?

And you STILL don't get it do you? If YOU aren't going to put YOUR name to your posts and OWN up to YOUR opinion, then I am not going to put myself at risk in a libel situation in your stead.

Go ahead, tell us all who YOU are and I'll put the name back in. That way if there is any legal fallout from your comments YOU are the one having to waste their time defending them, not me.

But I am betting you don't have the guts.

...Tsitshoh...

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:03 am #8

You've worked with ---- -----; I can understand you feel betrayed. There is still no reasoning behind defeneding someone who has been accused of the sexual assault of young boys.

These allegations are by no means shocking and those within the Whitby lacrosse community have been mumbling about this for a long time.
Tenacious,

I don't see Todd's moderating of threads as any form of improper censorship nor is he trying to institute a cover up because he is a Whitby guy (now Oshawa).
We all see a story that is shocking and immediately rush to judgement on the guilt or innocence of a person when that isn't decided by us on the forum but by a court of law. In Todd's case, he is stopping an obviously sensitive subject from becoming inflamed by the rhetoric of the anonymous forum. Most of us know that if he let the forum go freely then this discussion would descend into "whispers" and rumours which could be construed as libel or character assassination Let's also remember that any accused person is "innocent until proven guilty" in a court
If we wish to discuss the horror or child abuse in general and work to eradicate such disgusting behavior in our game and society then I bet that discussion would be both not censored but also very important to have.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:02 pm #9

If you have information, then why don't you call the police and not sit behing your square-headed girlfriend making accusations. We all agree the abuse he has been accused of is horrific. If proven guilty he needs to be charged to the full extent of the law and have his life ruined. But if he is not guilty, then people like you should be charged.

If you took time to read the whole article, then you will note that informed citizens like you who have been whispering in the community "for a long time", should contact Investigators, who are now appealing to the public for other complainants to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to call 1-888-579-1520 and speak to Det. Cory Briese at ext. 5337 or D/Cst. Gill Lock at ext. 5323.

Anonymous tips can be made to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or www.durhamregionalcrimestoppers.ca. Tipsters may be eligible for a cash reward of up to $2,000.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:17 pm #10

I do see your point. I do not however agree with you removing the article. It is certainly a relevant and quite possibly important piece of lacrosse news. I would counter that it should be shared and everyone who comes here should be made aware of it. You could have left the link and closed down the commentary. Instead it looks like we are sweeping this under the rug and afraid to talk about it. It is the hush hush attitude that has lead to and allowed to carry on scandals such as those involving Sandusky and Graham James.
How is this Lacrosse news? the man was in Scouting at the time of the alleged incidents, he is in involved in lacrosse now but that is as far as that connection goes and really isn't relevant at all....I don't agree with posting it here or the news coverage, these are only allegations at this point and whether they prove to be true or not this man's life is now in tatters and cannot be repaired....leave it alone