Woodsmen vs Stars

This forum is now archived. Please post Sr. B & Can-Am info in the Unofficial OLA Fan Forum.

Woodsmen vs Stars

Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:06 pm #1

Owen Sound Woodsmen 15, Mohawk Stars 5

Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:14 pm #2

any summary yet? Lorne you just wake up too lazy for details? JK

Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:04 pm #3

Wish I could give you the summary but I don't have the game sheet. I doubt the Stars as required by the home team will submit the game sheet due to assaults against the refs that wiil be recorded on the sheet.

Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:17 pm #4

assaults??? can we have some insight on what happened?

Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:48 pm #5

henhawk both spit on and threw around shaun grenier.

his career might very well be over

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:27 pm #6

what circumstances or occurences "set off" Henhawk to go after the ref?

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:58 pm #7

Now, lets take a step back before we defame anyone else' character here.

First off, the entire Mohawk Stars organization is not an indication of Saturday night's game.

Secondly, this game included two assualts on the officials - one early in the 3rd period by a Woodsmen player and then later on by a Stars player. Obviously the Stars incident was more isolated then the Woodsmen player, however, the player in question was not Henhawk and you should feel quite ashamed to be incorrectly naming a player with such reprecussions ahead.

So before anyone else who was obviously not in attendance spouts off some more BS, let's get either the league or a member of executive to detail the events and suspensions which will follow.

I personally had my back to the event and cannot say any further about these events.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:11 pm #8

After watching the game saturday night i did see 2 fights but one assult on a referee. I do not know who the player was from six nations but he did receive 2 seperate match penalties. The first was for slamming O.S. players head into the concrete floor and the second for assulting the referee. In fairness to both teams the refereeing in this game was terrible to the point that you could see this game getting out of hand in the second period. Why the OLA would send two rookies to do a game at this level is beyond me and should be looked into seriously. Tempers did flare and there will be suspensions for sure from this game, but in the mean time there has to be something done about the refereeing. Why should the major teams and JR A teams get all the good refereeing and the sENIOR and the JR B teams get nothing. I'am also of the opinion the some of these referees are there just for the money and thats it. These referees have to be move out of the sysyem and let referees in that want to referee.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:41 pm #9

There's really no need to post information 'in defence' of someone who assaults a referee in a game - it's beyond me as to why we would want to. The only reason to mention the calibre of the officiating would be to provide some basis of a reason for assaulting an official. The line has always been there -- you do not touch the referees in a game, no matter how good, or how poor a game they are calling. It should never happen - so providing 'circumstances' that led to it sounds more like a defence for why it happened -- when there's no excuse for it, period, end of story.

Secondly, I'm not aware of how many games Grenier or Robinson have done at the senior b level or beyond, but I can tell you that Shawn Grenier has been refereeing university level field lacrosse for at least the past 5-6 years -- and those are players between the ages of 17 - 25 -- so I don't think that reffing that age bracket is anything new for him. I've seen Matt Robinson reffing junior games for a number of years, so at some point refs - like players - have to move up and take on the higher competition, and like it or not, Major will always receive the more seasoned refs than Senior B. The best refs will ply their trade where the best lacrosse takes places. In junior - that's 'A' ball -- in senior -- that's Major Series.

I was not at the game, did not see the play(s) that led up to the event - but I don't need to to know that the actions are inexcusable, and if it was an attack on the ref (was it simply a push? was it a punch? a cross-check?), then let's hope that as an example - there is an incredibly severe suspension handed down.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:04 pm #10

Now, lets take a step back before we defame anyone else' character here.

First off, the entire Mohawk Stars organization is not an indication of Saturday night's game.

Secondly, this game included two assualts on the officials - one early in the 3rd period by a Woodsmen player and then later on by a Stars player. Obviously the Stars incident was more isolated then the Woodsmen player, however, the player in question was not Henhawk and you should feel quite ashamed to be incorrectly naming a player with such reprecussions ahead.

So before anyone else who was obviously not in attendance spouts off some more BS, let's get either the league or a member of executive to detail the events and suspensions which will follow.

I personally had my back to the event and cannot say any further about these events.
My bad for naming the wrong guy if this is in fact the case. I apologize for this. I enjoy Senior B the most of all of the OLA leagues, and I hope that this incident was blown out of proportion. Having said that, there is still NO justification for making contact of any with an official to protest a call.