why have a regular season...

This forum is now archived. Please post Sr. B & Can-Am info in the Unofficial OLA Fan Forum.

why have a regular season...

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:11 am #1

... if you are just going to have evryone make the playoffs? And a round robin format at that?? When the NHL was the original 6 they had 4 teams make it, playing two rounds of best of seven, why wouldn't the B league do that? IMO this makes the season almost pointless. Just my 2 cents(not even worth that)

Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:42 pm #2

Whoever thought up this genious idea needs to go back and rethink the entire format...how about the two first place teams get bye's and the others fight it out then cross over...? Make the season worth something to the teams who put a good product on the floor for the WHOLE season not just the end.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:31 am #3

At the start of every season all of the teams meet and decide the playoff format. Every year, there are extensive arguments about the format. With this size of a league, there is no obvious best choice, everything is a trade-off. Bear in mind that this all takes place before a single game is played, when every team is a Presidents Cup champion in waiting. With such a short season, even one playoff gate is valued and greatly needed revenue for each team.
I have a novel idea, rather than complain about the format now, join your local executive and help them make the decision next year, last I checked, they all could use the help.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:13 am #4

... if you are just going to have evryone make the playoffs? And a round robin format at that?? When the NHL was the original 6 they had 4 teams make it, playing two rounds of best of seven, why wouldn't the B league do that? IMO this makes the season almost pointless. Just my 2 cents(not even worth that)
can someone explain why the 3rd place teams from the west and east are crossing over?It wouldnt be to protect a certain team would it?

Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:43 am #5

At the start of every season all of the teams meet and decide the playoff format. Every year, there are extensive arguments about the format. With this size of a league, there is no obvious best choice, everything is a trade-off. Bear in mind that this all takes place before a single game is played, when every team is a Presidents Cup champion in waiting. With such a short season, even one playoff gate is valued and greatly needed revenue for each team.
I have a novel idea, rather than complain about the format now, join your local executive and help them make the decision next year, last I checked, they all could use the help.
....have been trying to figure out a nice way to say the same thing.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:45 am #6

can someone explain why the 3rd place teams from the west and east are crossing over?It wouldnt be to protect a certain team would it?
The decision, concerning the playoff format, was made at a meeting in January, prior to the start of the season so one wonders why the question & who exactly the fan who asked it thinks is being protected?

Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:06 am #7

... if they need the gates then put out a good product and make the playoff or go best of seven or have the top teams get byes as was suggested, don't see other (high level)leagues do this. It just doesn't make sense this way, the season don't mean a thing and that's too bad cause it's the fans who suffer through a meaningless season. By the way my area doesn't have a team.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:47 pm #8

Whoever thought up this genious idea needs to go back and rethink the entire format...how about the two first place teams get bye's and the others fight it out then cross over...? Make the season worth something to the teams who put a good product on the floor for the WHOLE season not just the end.
I don't remember the old Ennismore team complaining when they used to make the playoffs as the last place team. Like two years ago and last year.

By the way, in 2003 the Major Series ran a similar format after complaints by Akwesasne that they lost out on serious gate money because they hadn't made thew playoffs in 4 or 5 years. They got spanked and went 0-4 vs. Brooklin and Peterborough.

Those in glass houses.....

Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:54 pm #9

... if they need the gates then put out a good product and make the playoff or go best of seven or have the top teams get byes as was suggested, don't see other (high level)leagues do this. It just doesn't make sense this way, the season don't mean a thing and that's too bad cause it's the fans who suffer through a meaningless season. By the way my area doesn't have a team.
Yes it would make sense for the first place team to take the bye. But why take the bye when you can create extra gate money and use it towards the team financially. Most teams in this league need the extra home games to off set cost just from the regular seaon. P.S. don't forget that for whatever playoff game that you ply at home the O.L.A dips their hand into and takes some for themselves.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:21 pm #10

I don't remember the old Ennismore team complaining when they used to make the playoffs as the last place team. Like two years ago and last year.

By the way, in 2003 the Major Series ran a similar format after complaints by Akwesasne that they lost out on serious gate money because they hadn't made thew playoffs in 4 or 5 years. They got spanked and went 0-4 vs. Brooklin and Peterborough.

Those in glass houses.....
Please say something with intelligence or that actually has substance when you say it, write with purpose, not just to write ok...god this is frustrating...it is clear and simple, black and white etc...This playoff format makes no sense and simply makes the regular season a wash...nothing more to say...it is simple...if you can't understand then please just don't talk anymore. It is too bad that we are letting money run our game...maybe if certain teams didn't pay their players then you wouldn't have to worry about the gate so much.