Week 3 East (Sunday Bantam/Midget)

Week 3 East (Sunday Bantam/Midget)

Sat May 09, 2009 5:03 pm #1

Please stay tuned to the Forum and your e-mail with regards to Bantam/Midget tomorrow. (May 10th)

Terry Lloyd and myself will be reviewing the Oshawa field conditions with city staff at 4PM today.

Information will be posted here and forwarded to Centre Reps, no later than 6PM tonite.

Thanks for your patience.

Rodney Braun, Commissioner
OMFLL

Sat May 09, 2009 5:27 pm #2

Just received word, the Oshawa Fields will not be available for use tomorrow.

Bantam/Midget games are cancelled.

OMFLL

Sat May 09, 2009 5:59 pm #3

I think Oshawa should be left out of the mix when scheduling field from now on. They are cancelled more years than they are not. As of right now, the sun is out but the games have already been called for tomorrow which is supposed to be a beautiful day. Highschools have been playing lacrosse and soccer on their fields for 6 weeks now. More than enough fields to use. It is unfair to the players to have a whole weekend cancelled when the season is so short.
As an aside, this is in no way a complaint to the schedulers and commissioner who work countless hours trying to get this to work. It just seems that Oshawa is too concerned about it's fields - lets use the turf and have various centres help out. If Oshawa wants to host, do it in Mississauga or the Beaches. That way we have fields to play on and the same people don't have to do everything all of the time. I know, easier said than done, but this bites!

Sat May 09, 2009 7:04 pm #4

What a lousy comment to make about Oshawa. The criteria they (Oshawa) use for cancelling fields is very similar to the same standards that other Cities/Municipalities use.

It has rained hard, on and off all day in the Oshawa area. Don't forget, field damage can be billed back to the League by the municipality. Even if the sun blistered out right now (2:49PM) the fields would still be too wet tomorrow by city standards.

Ease up on Terry Lloyd. He agonized over this decision. I was there.

FYI, I was in the West this morning and Brampton had to cancel too.

Using turf is great! I love it too. But, it is very, very expensive and difficult to reserve.

The situation had become so dire in obtaining Fields, that Albert Rehanek (West Commissioner) spent a good part of the past winter working on securing Fields for '09. He should be recognized for that.

Oshawa does a good job at hosting. Always have, for as long as i've been involved.

I firmly believe, now more than ever, that it's time we move to late summer/fall. I just don't know how to make it happen at this time...or even if I have that "ability".

Please let's try to take some positive out of conditions that were beyond everybody's control. (Well, except God and I don't know his cell phone number)

OMFLL

Sat May 09, 2009 11:32 pm #5

Rodney...this is the same person who EVERY YEAR in March asks for a schedule, can't understand why we can't get fields, etc... We see the same email every year....they just don't understand the situation(s) the surrounds field lacrosse. Of course, they might if they got involved and tried to really provide & participate in the solution...

This person has no idea of the history behind field lacrosse in Ontario, such as Terry Lloyd (aka Oshawa) being one of the driving forces as why there is even minor field lacrosse for their children today!!! Also, we have played on Oshawa fields when we had no right to in the past....and as towns understand the costs of these fields, they are now being more restrictive of when they can be used. Oshawa is still one of the most lenient when it comes to field use!

I can't believe someone would actually blame a town for the weather!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

And by the way....you can't play on turf fields when it's lightning out either!!!

Sun May 10, 2009 2:27 pm #6

What a lousy comment to make about Oshawa. The criteria they (Oshawa) use for cancelling fields is very similar to the same standards that other Cities/Municipalities use.

It has rained hard, on and off all day in the Oshawa area. Don't forget, field damage can be billed back to the League by the municipality. Even if the sun blistered out right now (2:49PM) the fields would still be too wet tomorrow by city standards.

Using turf is great! I love it too. But, it is very, very expensive and difficult to reserve.

The situation had become so dire in obtaining Fields, that Albert Rehanek (West Commissioner) spent a good part of the past winter working on securing Fields for '09. He should be recognized for that.

Oshawa does a good job at hosting. Always have, for as long as i've been involved.

I firmly believe, now more than ever, that it's time we move to late summer/fall. I just don't know how to make it happen at this time...or even if I have that "ability".

Please let's try to take some positive out of conditions that were beyond everybody's control. (Well, except God and I don't know his cell phone number)

OMFLL
Hi Rodney as you know, I have been a proponent of late summer/fall as the best time frame, but was shut down on more than one occasion with this direction..I am so happy to hear that you are giving this concept serious consideration Rodney. It can be done if we all work together on it, and I truly believe that the quality of the league will not be affected as much as suggested. Better that then the ongoing spring field issues. Unfortunately we play in Ontario and this is early spring for all of us who live & play here. You cannot change mother nature.

As someone pointed out we cannot control the weather and what playing conditions municipalities will approve, but we can control THE TIME OF YEAR we play. Let us think outside the box (no pun intended) and we can truly grow field in Ontario, with more conducive playing times.

It is time...We have circled around the issue for a few years now, but have tried to appease and keep the status quo. It is now crystal clear we CANNOT keep doing this year in and year out without turning people away from the game, both as volunteers and as participants. We have had commitees discussing this, we have had the pros and cons (umpiring/hockey conflit) discussions etc and have always come back to the status quo. Spring does not work unless we play on turf ALL the time. If we cannot accomodate that for all the teams then we must move on to another time of the year to play field. It is the only solution left. We have tried everything but. I think Rodney we have hit that fork in the road, and you and your concil now have the most difficult decision to fish or cut bait.

I know all the hard work that goes into Minor Field in the province and many kudos to everyone who has been instrumental in the growth of the game. Unfortunately mother natures wishes other wise and she I believe is the much more powerful voice that we must listen to.

Respectfully submitted

Sun May 10, 2009 4:42 pm #7

OMFLL
On behalf of our Novice team, as we did not get a chance in the downpour on Saturday, we would like to thank the Ref's at this field for going car to car and communicating the league's decision to cancel the day. The weather was lousy and their action did not go unnoticed. It was much appreciated and went beyond the call of duty.

Fwiw, in Halton Hills, a forecast of even a spit or rain, the fields are pulled. So from our experience, to be even allowed on the field was a luxury not often afforded us here. As for pulling Oshawa, I believe that would be a mistake simply based on the lacrosse tradition and strength of the sport in that area. One of our best days and favorite host sites was last year in Oshawa at that beautiful park down by the lake. There are more pressing issues then limiting host centres facing our league, fields of course being one on them.

I'm interested to know if any other centres are getting or anticipate getting turf fields? There seems to be a move on by Municipalities and school boards to move in this direction. That move seems to be based on cost, which is always a good driving factor. The high school in Georgetown looks like it has approval for an artificial turf field, and I believe there has been some talk that the Catholic high school down the street may also get one in the near future. The lacrosse community across the Province needs to come together and ensure it is represented and involved in this area, for I know in our area, soccer is growing, both in numbers and influence, especially at the rep level.

IMO, using hockey as an excuse to moving field to the fall is a red herring. The conflict with spring hockey is doing as much if not more damage to the sport. If hockey is to be a factor it should certainly not be a deciding factor. Not sure if I am pro or con for the move, but it would certainly seem like the topic should be put back up for discussion and the pro's and con's debated, at the end of which a vote taken, where each centre is given one vote.

Regards.

Sun May 10, 2009 5:32 pm #8

Do it!

I firmly believe that it is time to cut bait as one other poster stated and move the playing season.

For one reason or another, some folks will always find a reason to doubt any move or fight change. But if kids truly want to play the game, they will. Unfortunately, that other sport does play a big role, but I am seeing more and more that kids will ultimately gravitate to and do, what they enjoy doing the most. Sometimes, it just takes mom and dad quite a while to realize that it may not be hockey, and it may not be lacrosse.

If numbers dip or drop, which I am sure might be the case in the younger age groups, then so be it. They will be back. As soon as the dream is over.....(oh that sounded nasty didn't it).

Make the move.....

BTW, great job Rod and all of the volunteers putting so much time in for our kids.

Marksy

Mon May 11, 2009 1:49 pm #9

OMFLL
Here is a little suggestion to help possibly make this work...
Most Ice is out of arena's by mid April. Lets start box 1 month earlier. ( I know it is not possible for all centers but you could play all your away games until your arena is ready..) Then have Box Provincials end in mid July go straight to Field for 6 weeks and whala!!!

Ok start tearing my idea apart!!!
Like I said just a suggestion.

Tue May 12, 2009 1:23 pm #10

I think moving field to late summer would actually get more people playing, here's my logic:

currently field tryouts/practices start during hockey playoffs, weather is notoriously crappy, schedule changes daily, it turns folks off and after the 7+ month hockey gring many look forward to the month off before box and skip field. If you started box earlier and then put field after it, many would be caught up in "lax-mode" from box and wouldn't want this brief wonderful season to end and that inertia would carry more folks over to field.

There's no need to have field conflict with hockey in the fall, run field the 5 weeks of August and finish as school is starting, no significant hockey is played in August and if there happened to be a rare conflict a hockey coach will be much more forgiving of missing an August practice at the beginning of their 8 mth hockey journey than a play-of game or practice for spring field. There are many box teams that haven't played a game yet, like all of zone six, there's no reason they couldn't have been playing since April and been a third or halfway through a zone schedule by now so that we could wrap up provincials at the end of July.