Urgent Attention re:AGM decisions

Urgent Attention re:AGM decisions

Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:30 am #1

If I am correct Minor Council is set to vote next Friday regarding the consolidation of the provincials to Whitby.
The proposal will have mid-week day time games for Midgets, Intermediates and Novices.
The proposed dates are noted in a previous thread and essentially will create havoc for many clubs (regarding acceptance by parents) resulting in more downward pressure on attendance numbers.
There have already been a number of good reasons posted on why this will be a mistake and I have read no positive comments supporting the initiative so you better ask your club A) if they are aware of this and B) what their stand is.

It will be tooo late come next Saturday so get the ball rolling now or risk the consequences in your town.

There are some nice warm fuzzy reasons offered up to me to do this but the logic is not there!

What's good for the OLA exec is not necessarily good for the sport! Watch for a backlash if this flies...

V

Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:00 pm #2

one arguement that hasn't been covered is the players themselves, many intermediate (and midget age) players have full-time summer jobs that they may not be able to get 3 days off during the week. Therefore they will not be able to attend themselves.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:48 pm #3

I'm sure the OLA canvassed the member organizations and the membership in general; weighed the merits on both side of the argument. Then made this courageous, ground-breaking decision to weaken the association

Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:42 am #4

As far as I know, the OLA has NOT contacted any of the farther out clubs regarding this. If you don't live within 100 miles of the GTA tuff on you. Thats the OLA way!!!!!

Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:40 am #5

I'm sure the OLA canvassed the member organizations and the membership in general; weighed the merits on both side of the argument. Then made this courageous, ground-breaking decision to weaken the association
Canvas the members?
I find it odd that such monumental decisions as this are not known by anyone that I have asked.
I did learn today that the decision is far from final... but I'm still unclear as to how it gets made.
Unfortunately these decisions should be voted on by all clubs not just the people that head to the AGM (many pass it up because of cost).
A mail in (e-mail) vote by each association on major changes should not be that much of a challenge in this day and age. It would certainly allow the smaller and more distant clubs to have their say in the matter. Then you can bring that to the table for real democratic decisions.
Perhaps a constitutional amendment for next time?

V

Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:28 am #6

If I am correct Minor Council is set to vote next Friday regarding the consolidation of the provincials to Whitby.
The proposal will have mid-week day time games for Midgets, Intermediates and Novices.
The proposed dates are noted in a previous thread and essentially will create havoc for many clubs (regarding acceptance by parents) resulting in more downward pressure on attendance numbers.
There have already been a number of good reasons posted on why this will be a mistake and I have read no positive comments supporting the initiative so you better ask your club A) if they are aware of this and B) what their stand is.

It will be tooo late come next Saturday so get the ball rolling now or risk the consequences in your town.

There are some nice warm fuzzy reasons offered up to me to do this but the logic is not there!

What's good for the OLA exec is not necessarily good for the sport! Watch for a backlash if this flies...

V
What are the warm and fuzzy reasons?

Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:57 am #7

fall-back position when there's no good and rational argument around here. Previous discussion on this topic leaned heavily on the plight of the volunteer and apparently hard-pressed OLA staff and the need to relieve their summer weekend schedules.

Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:42 pm #8

The warm and fuzzy of it all is the attempt to bring all of Ontario lacrosse together for one huge festival! That's it that's all... great idea, but logistically not reasonable

Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:17 pm #9

Am I the only one that thinks that the lacrosse festival is a phenominal experience.I took in pretty much the whole thing for the first time last year including the peewee and Bantam National finals. It was a truly amazing experience as a fan ,a parent and a coach. I agree that there are problems, but minor at best. You know what would fix these? More volunteers.
Stand at the front door at Iroquois Park and watch the faces of the kids as they walk in. The excitement and energy in them is priceless.Heck ,watch my face,it has the same look.(but mine starts in the parking lot)
In what other sport can your child experience something like this ? ... Well?
I'm sure there wouldn't be all this whineing if this was a hockey festival.
You could split up all the divisions and send them to little crappy towns , maybe have tyke and novice qualifiers. In short, SUCK ALL THE FUN OUT OF IT.
I think that it should be bigger and better advertised.( Some of the people I talked to didn't even have kids playing but just came to take it all in)
If you want to make it a long weekend event only ,use the floors in Oshawa and Clairngton .
In closing , I am a lacrosse parent ,a coach and a volunteer for one reason only. I'M MAKING MEMORIES.Just like my coach did for me!

Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:12 pm #10

Got to appreciate your excitement in watching this for the first time.
Did you take any time off of work?
Did your kid lose his job because he has scheduled his work around his practices and games In those "crappy little towns" all summer only to ask one time too many for a week off to go to Whitby so you could enjoy this Fun?
I believe there is way more involved than alleviating the volunteer chores and making it easier for the OLA. The over all idea of asking the 80% of "Crappy Little Towns" to hump down the highway so you can see the Joy on their faces is ridiculous, give your head a shake!
This is only my opinion speaking up on be-half of those "Crappy Little Towns"
Maybe someday we could all come from the Big City in/ around Whitby

Irish