Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:20 pm #11

No matter what is said by you, you still side with the lies and the law-breaking of the OLA. So if you are not involved in helping the OLA steal, you are enabling them.

The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing.

First, try being good.

THEN

Try being a man.

Get back to me when you feel you want to have a real conversation.

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:16 pm #12

For completely ignoring the part when Derrek brings up the point of you lying about Mississauga tomahawks lacrosse folding. LOL

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing."

Yet you lied about Mississauga tomahawks lacrosse folding.

LOL

good day sir

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:44 pm #13

I was informed by a Tomahawks member they were folding. I won't name him as we have ironed out our differences, through polite and adult conversation.

You should try it.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:08 pm #14

You have to read this stuff because it may be your name, followed with a baseless comment / accusation / false reporting.

And that is the issue - making a statement with no back-up or proof.

We live in a country that you can speak your mind, which is great - but there has to be some of rules / guidelines to ensure accuracy. False statements are absolute BS and don't help.

I could / may start a new thread on the issues / concerns I see in the game of lacrosse (and sports in general), from my time being involved as a Board Member and representing my organization to the Zone & OLA.
The more people that speak up the better chance there will be change.

I have been dealing with the OLA probably longer than most people on here and i have seen next to no change in their attitude in almost 30 years.

why?

Because no one speaks up.

Its the same thing that happens at every organization. Parents complain quietly and never speak up, and yet the loud mouths with warped senses of reality are the ones that never shut up and get listened to. Yes, Kevin that means you. While i don't doubt much of what you say is true, your approach only ruins the chances of any real positive change.

If the lacrosse community wants change, they have to stop being cowards,

For me, the first place to start is to remove everyone at the OLA that is in a decision making position and restaff with people that are not all friends so that way they are not placing their priority on protecting each other, their focus is on protecting and developing the kids.

Then remove everyone in organizations that are there for the wrong reasons - ie. there to fulfill some need for attention, and get people in place that actually give a damn about the kids.

Make becoming a coach more accessible. Scrap the current cash grab and segment your coaching training into specific jobs. Head coach, technical coach, general bench staff. A general bench coach and technical coach shoudln't need the same training as the head coach. You continue to do that, the more we will see a decline in experienced technical coaches.

Lastly and most importantly. Have meetings every year where all the qualified coaches from all the organizations get together and discuss the impending season and future of the sport. They are your experts, not some Mom of some lacrosse player from yesteryear. Its time to start listening to them.

Also of course, Stan needs to retire, he has been there too long and the OLA has become too stale.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:58 pm #15

It's not like there are lots of people tripping over themselves looking to join minor executives (there are maybe a handful of minor organizations where there is an exception). And it's not like positions at the OLA level have had a lot of competition... there's been what, 5 position that needed a vote in the last 6 years? The rest were just straight up single nominations.

It's an interesting concept, but what you'll end up with is a bunch of people in the position who are only there because no one else would do it. Does that make things better?

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:07 pm #16

I was informed by a Tomahawks member they were folding. I won't name him as we have ironed out our differences, through polite and adult conversation.

You should try it.
No update to the original story:

http://www.mississaugagazette.com/news_ ... -are-here-

Then there's this thread that Todd had to edit himself:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/333879/m ... re+Here%21

And not a single post from you later on simply saying "sorry, I was misinformed".

But yes Kevin, please tell us all how to act like an adult or a man.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:50 pm #17

It's not like there are lots of people tripping over themselves looking to join minor executives (there are maybe a handful of minor organizations where there is an exception). And it's not like positions at the OLA level have had a lot of competition... there's been what, 5 position that needed a vote in the last 6 years? The rest were just straight up single nominations.

It's an interesting concept, but what you'll end up with is a bunch of people in the position who are only there because no one else would do it. Does that make things better?
Lacrosse will continue to struggle as long as local clubs, zones and OLA continue to disrespect volunteers. People are always so eager to point out mistakes and act like the person committed a felony when the reality is closer to they probably didn't know all the little nuances (lack of training). As well, there are too many instances where the rules are not clear and are not fairly applied. Boundaries anyone?Next, you have a continuum of witch hunting if you do speak up. It is so unhelpful and yet weak leaders permit it everyday. Who would step up to volunteer after witnessing such treatment of another parent volunteer? A non-parent volunteer has even less reason to stick out such mud slinging.Another area of clear discontent is releases, making a child play somewhere they do not like is not in anyone's best interest. Often clubs celebrate when the child then decides not to bother. Like losing a player to another sport is a success. It's not. Let the player go for a season, maybe they realize their home club is pretty good or maybe they have better success down the hwy. Players will go both ways so who cares as long as they are playing!Making it difficult to train and recruit coaches is clearly another area to be addressed. Police checks on every volunteer make sense. Making an assistant coach take multiple courses when they are really just going to open the door is not helpful. Limiting your numbers of coaches mean they get burnt out, feel obligated to coach another year and provide players with the same experience year after year. Furthermore, just because someone played lacrosse does not mean they can coach. They are probably the best for the technical aspects of the game but coaching means much more than just teaching the skills. Allow benches to have different personalities so kids always have an adult they can relate to.All in all, lacrosse is a great game and the success of many non-OLA leagues should make that clear. The OLA needs to step back take a breath and reset.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:05 pm #18

In regards to boundaries and releases, one thing to consider is where will it lead? If the best players in one centre all leave for another one, can the original centre survive? You say players will go both ways, but is that true? Will a player who gets cut because his centre loaded up with out of town players go play somewhere else?

I've seen the coaching thing brought up several times and I don't understand what is wrong with the NCCP model? Most sports organizations in Canada follow it (10 pin bowling has the same community-competitive program lacrosse does). But aside from that, one of the issues I have with your model is what happens if the head coach has to miss a game? What happens if in June he has a family emergency and has to leave the team for the season. If you've got no head coach, what happens?

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:48 pm #19

She:kon!

I think your first point speaks to a re-org of minor lacrosse similar to how hockey is organized. Get rid of zones and go with leagues.

If a Centre can field a AAAA team, it can invite all players from 'local' non-AAAA centres to try-out. AAA centres can invite all non-AAA players and so on. Example: Whitby and West Durham and Markham. Let's say that Whitby has a AAAA team, a AAA team, AA, A, etc. WD has a AAA, AA, A, and Markham has AA, A. All players in Whitby, WD and Markham can try out for the Whitby AAAA team. If they are cut, then they can try out for the nearest AAA team, but IF their centre has AAA, the residence rule is in effect. Etc. All the way down. This allows a fair chance for all players to play at their level if they can and if not, they go to the highest level in their home centre. The incentive of course is for the local club to want to retain local talent over imports as parents will begin to demand it. Sort of the opposite of your counter-point. It also encourages local centres to develop and retain hometown talent.

For head coaching emergencies = have all registered head coaches registered to the club, not the team. This way a head coach can fill in on any team if need be. Also, retain the registration of coaches from year to year so that if their CIR is clean, they can come out of retirement and fill in if need be. Finally, each club could have a few spare head coaches on hand for such emergencies.

The point of this is not to say that every contingency can be covered, but that problems can be resolved with the right minded group.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:20 am #20

There are many points to consider of course and I was just rambling! However, without open dialogue lacrosse will never evolve and move forward. The biggest problem is it appears (in my area anyway) that debate and brainstorming are never welcome. Any idea that comes from a new person is trashed with the typical response We tried that before. And maybe we did and it didn't work 20 years ago but today it might.

I can only report on what I have seen and it is this; many kids stop playing lacrosse because we, the adults, have made it 'unfun' is that a word?

I think 15 like skilled players would have more fun than forcing a very skilled player to play with a new one. In my zone the range of skill can literally be A to D on one team (we are a B centre). Hard to play and coach I would guess. And sometimes the "A" skilled player than is targeted by the other team. Or the D player gets frustrated and not a lot of floor time. Tough to get better without floor time. Of course good coaching and reffing can and often does address that. For the most part, my children have had decent coaching and some absolutely excellent coaches.

The hockey model is something lacrosse should consider. I do think players would go both ways. Who cares if centre one is A, as long as a local centre is B, and the next is C. ALl the kids still have a team. I do think mylax has started to address fairness for provincials anyway so that part is nice.

I guess, overall, for me anyway, it is heart breaking that all of my children prefer their non-OLA teams. They all still play OLA but I know the day is coming when they say No thanks.

The easiest thing that could be done is a massive effort on everyone's part to be friendly and kind to people and help mentor new volunteers. Give people the benefit of the doubt and stop thinking and acting like everyone has an 'agenda'

I know many people who are "one and done" and will never volunteer again. That is the biggest travesty because you can't grow without volunteers unless you start hiring staff.