Unsafe arenas

Unsafe arenas

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:11 pm #1

With the forecasted extremely hot and humid weather is the league going to suggest that games be moved from Central arena, Bill Burgoyne arena, Memorial arena in Brampton, and finally the Tony Rose, given that these arenas have been slippery on less hot days than what is forecasted for this week.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:44 pm #2

My fear is always heat exhaustion. I've followed two teams where players died of heat stroke - football, but honestly, those days weren't as hot as some of these indoor arenas, it makes me nervous. Not to mention fans, especially those with health issues or older fans. I fall in the first category, and basically have been advised to not go to un-air conditioned buildings. Frustrating, but that's the cards life deals you sometimes.

The issue is where to play them. Burlington's city wide arenas are woeful, not sure any have AC. I haven't been to the newer place in Orangeville, I've heard it's actually a much better facility than the old place where they play. St. Catharines has AC in the Jack but never use it when I've stepped in during summer. Brampton games could definitely be moved to Powerade!

The reality is, in hot weather, AC can be a life saver.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:10 am #3

Actually the Jack only has a/c in the newer lobby, not in the arena bowl. The 4-plex has a/c in the 1500 seat main rink. I have no idea why lacrosse teams don't play there.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:17 am #4

I thought all the newer, big silver vents would be AC, they give that appearance. But that does make sense as to why it's so hot!

The issues with the four plex I'd see are 1- do they take ice out in summer and 2- the netting really bothers a lot of people (self included) so it might affect attendance. Then again, so does playing in a small, hot facility!

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:28 pm #5

I believe this year they took out the ice in 2 of the pads at the 4-pad in St. Catharines. The netting is an issue in a lot of lacrosse rinks now as it is more of a liability issue than anything.

The 4-pad could be a great venue for a lacrosse team that could draw a few hundred fans to a game, but in St. Catharines it would take away from the revenue the A's generate from the booster club at BBA.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:36 pm #6

You'll always get a consistent, modest-sized crowd at a lacrosse game at the BBA composed of a revolving assortment of relatives/friends/girl-friends of current players plus a small sampling of hard-core lacrosse fanatics that will tolerate the hard benches, often steamy temperatures, obstructed sight-lines and generally limited amenities offered outside of the beer room. What you won't see are the walk-up casual sports fan or families that might come out and check on what this ancient game is all about, and perhaps discover what a great, fast sport it can be.

I think there is a tight limit on how much the game could really recover here as a spectator activity based on the available venues. For starters, I'd love to see what could be done to grow the game here in a bright, air-conditioned, 1500 comfortable seating arena like Hanna pad one. The senior Saints have a terrific product on the floor and most years the junior A's do to, but the vast majority of residents of this fair city really give them little thought despite their well-run operations and ample coverage in the local newspaper. A few years back, a lady that just started working in our office heard me mention briefly something about lacrosse and she quickly broke into the conversation. I asked her if she liked lacrosse and she said, "Are you kidding? I grew up in Peterborough!" There was a time long ago that folks might have said "lacrosse, are you kidding, I grew up in St. Catharines!" I'm sure there's a few of those left somewhere nearby, but I don't ever see them.

We continue to produce a steady stream of lacrosse talent here. If we could only marry that with some growing, ravenous fan support, those two elements would only feed of and support each other, and perhaps another 'Boro success story would emerge.

But I can't see that ever happening out of the BBA.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:19 pm #7

Totally agree! Great post!

Interestingly, the only lacrosse fan I know in St. Catharines grew up in Brampton, so I hear what you're saying.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:44 am #8

You'll always get a consistent, modest-sized crowd at a lacrosse game at the BBA composed of a revolving assortment of relatives/friends/girl-friends of current players plus a small sampling of hard-core lacrosse fanatics that will tolerate the hard benches, often steamy temperatures, obstructed sight-lines and generally limited amenities offered outside of the beer room. What you won't see are the walk-up casual sports fan or families that might come out and check on what this ancient game is all about, and perhaps discover what a great, fast sport it can be.

I think there is a tight limit on how much the game could really recover here as a spectator activity based on the available venues. For starters, I'd love to see what could be done to grow the game here in a bright, air-conditioned, 1500 comfortable seating arena like Hanna pad one. The senior Saints have a terrific product on the floor and most years the junior A's do to, but the vast majority of residents of this fair city really give them little thought despite their well-run operations and ample coverage in the local newspaper. A few years back, a lady that just started working in our office heard me mention briefly something about lacrosse and she quickly broke into the conversation. I asked her if she liked lacrosse and she said, "Are you kidding? I grew up in Peterborough!" There was a time long ago that folks might have said "lacrosse, are you kidding, I grew up in St. Catharines!" I'm sure there's a few of those left somewhere nearby, but I don't ever see them.

We continue to produce a steady stream of lacrosse talent here. If we could only marry that with some growing, ravenous fan support, those two elements would only feed of and support each other, and perhaps another 'Boro success story would emerge.

But I can't see that ever happening out of the BBA.
... you are Bang On!

Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:05 am #9

...that I suffered a brief case of "premature e-postulation", hitting send before I wrote!
The weak-*** excuses being used by the A's and others for NOT using the 4-plex are simply not valid. They will argue that they lose the "beer revenues" - 3 years ago, they barely broke even, and now, they'd be LUCKY after licencing, insurance, etc. to make a couple of grand over the course of the entire season. The bar at the 4-plex is run under contract by an entrepeneur... I'm sure he would offer some sponsorship $ to offset any losses if he saw a jump in summer revenues from the lax crowds, but no one has ever approached him.
The other excuse is that when the 4-plex was built, there was no provision for dedicated dressing rooms for lacrosse (A's), just for Brock Hockey (Men's nad Women's), but again, no one has ever tried to SOLVE the issue - they are just content to sit on their hands and complain, while saying that "tradition dictates we stay at Bill Burgoyne - an inferior facility in SO MANY respects, not the least of which is floor safety in weather like we are having this week.
The A's have been force to move games to the 4-plex (about 6 years ago vs Six Nations because the floor was wet at the BBA), and again about 3 years ago when they played one-and-a-half playoff games in Niagara-On-The-Lake because of unsafe conditions at BBA causing a suspension of a playoff game in the 3rd period, and the risk of it happening again.
Both times, the overwhelming sentiment was that it was an enjoyable change for the spectators, from seating, to sightlines, to ammenities (no stairs to climb for a beer between periods)... the overall experience for spectators was superior to the point they MIGHT tell others to come to a game.
Again, A's management reverted to the easy route - back to BBA the next year for more of the same... declining crowds and reduced revenue.
Until the A's management get their respective heads out of their butts, and realize that this is 2012, NOT 2002, they will continue their slow, painful decline in support, revenue, and competitiveness in an ever-changing league.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:20 am #10

I think the key is to get into the new arena when it's done. You'll draw fans who just want to see it and fans who want a relatively inexpensive night out at what will be a new focal point for the city. The 4-plex is definitely nicer than the BBA, but the netting isn't popular with a lot of people - Brock really runs into that issue, and they only draw a couple hundred people for home hockey games. But in the short term, it's better than BBA for sure.