U9 Provincial Schedule

U9 Provincial Schedule

Mon May 14, 2012 12:34 am #1

It would be nice if the OMFLL would release the Provincial schedule. As of right now no one knows if we play Friday, which would require everyone to take time off work. Given this season, I'm sure we'll find out some time late wednesday night.

Mon May 14, 2012 9:16 am #2

You will be playing Friday. Peewee and under have always played Friday(for the last few years anyway)and there are more teams now. Book the time off work now. Lots of appeals to go through before the schedule can be released, so it's almost impossible to get a schedule out before Wednesday.

Tue May 15, 2012 6:51 pm #3

Isn't it a ridiculous that here we are Tuesday afternoon before the Provincials and no one knows when or where they play? Our center will likely lose very good players next year because of the way the OMFLL handles the schedule. I understand having to re-rate the teams after two weeks, but there's no reason why the schedule couldn't have been laid out for the rest of the season after that. I don't know of any other team rep sport that publishes their weekly schedule 2 or 3 days before the games (out of town for most) are posted. It makes it very difficult for those families who have kids playing other sports on Saturdays.

Tue May 15, 2012 7:29 pm #4

You are playing in Brampton at the Creditview/Sandalwood complex. Your centre should have provided you with that information. Provincials have been there for years. U9, U11, and U13 play Friday and Saturday for sure, with semis & championships typically on Sunday. Again, someone from you centre should have been able to tell you that.

In terms of the rest of the season, all of the U9, U11, and U13 games were on Saturdays. The host cities were laid out on the OMFLL website months ago. While knowing exact game times and specific field addresses well in advance would be fantastic, how much planning do you really require? Assume that you are busy all day on Saturdays from mid-April until late-May. If the schedule comes out and gives you the flexibility to go to soccer or swimming or whatever on a Saturday in additional to lacrosse, then do it. If you have something that you won't miss (hockey tryouts, etc.), you just tell your coach that you won't be available for any games on the Saturday afternoon, etc.

Everyone wants to complain, but I see the same tiny group of people doing all of the work for very little thanks. That is not to suggest that constructive criticism isn't valid and important, just that complaining does very little to help the situation.

Tue May 15, 2012 9:43 pm #5

Isn't it a ridiculous that here we are Tuesday afternoon before the Provincials and no one knows when or where they play? Our center will likely lose very good players next year because of the way the OMFLL handles the schedule. I understand having to re-rate the teams after two weeks, but there's no reason why the schedule couldn't have been laid out for the rest of the season after that. I don't know of any other team rep sport that publishes their weekly schedule 2 or 3 days before the games (out of town for most) are posted. It makes it very difficult for those families who have kids playing other sports on Saturdays.
What other sports?.......Its lacrosse season!

Wed May 16, 2012 3:29 am #6

You are playing in Brampton at the Creditview/Sandalwood complex. Your centre should have provided you with that information. Provincials have been there for years. U9, U11, and U13 play Friday and Saturday for sure, with semis & championships typically on Sunday. Again, someone from you centre should have been able to tell you that.

In terms of the rest of the season, all of the U9, U11, and U13 games were on Saturdays. The host cities were laid out on the OMFLL website months ago. While knowing exact game times and specific field addresses well in advance would be fantastic, how much planning do you really require? Assume that you are busy all day on Saturdays from mid-April until late-May. If the schedule comes out and gives you the flexibility to go to soccer or swimming or whatever on a Saturday in additional to lacrosse, then do it. If you have something that you won't miss (hockey tryouts, etc.), you just tell your coach that you won't be available for any games on the Saturday afternoon, etc.

Everyone wants to complain, but I see the same tiny group of people doing all of the work for very little thanks. That is not to suggest that constructive criticism isn't valid and important, just that complaining does very little to help the situation.
just an observation, first off if this person is talking about the U9 then they probably haven't been involved for long so this is new to them and I totally get the frustration, as to the small group of people that volunteer, thank you for the time but experience tells me there is usually a method to their madness for doing so, just saying. As for the scheduling , there is absolutely no reason that a schedule can not be done for both east and west long before the season starts and just team names need to be filled in the slots. The west seemed to have it right from what I seen early on and had all their ducks in a row schedule wise unfortunately I don`t agree with the inability to see anything regarding their stats or standings on the OMFLL site, this should be something that is unacceptable by the league as access to this is helpful to teams coming into provincials, the east is there for all to see. Just some observations, take as you wish!

Wed May 16, 2012 1:19 pm #7

The West U9's haven't played since May 5th. I understand there's a rating appeal process to go thru, but this isn't rocket science. The day after the May 5th games the preliminary ratings (basically order of standings) could have gone up and each center advised they have a week to appeal. Then the schedule is finalized and released. Trust me, I appreciate and understand the type of effort that goes into these things but the U9's should have been simple given that the ratings are pretty much the order of final standings.

I'm not alone here. Go over to the main page of the OMFLL site or listen to some of the parent discussion at the games. It's a pretty common theme.

Wed May 16, 2012 11:00 pm #8

I suggest you offer up your services for next year if you feel things are not being run efficiently enough.

Wed May 16, 2012 11:57 pm #9

The West U9's haven't played since May 5th. I understand there's a rating appeal process to go thru, but this isn't rocket science. The day after the May 5th games the preliminary ratings (basically order of standings) could have gone up and each center advised they have a week to appeal. Then the schedule is finalized and released. Trust me, I appreciate and understand the type of effort that goes into these things but the U9's should have been simple given that the ratings are pretty much the order of final standings.

I'm not alone here. Go over to the main page of the OMFLL site or listen to some of the parent discussion at the games. It's a pretty common theme.
After the ratings are set up, there are the complaints to deal with, which take time to sort out and try to please everyone. I'm guessing teams are moved up and down and division sizes change, as does the schedule. After this has been sorted out, then comes assigning the officials. You have to balance the availability, level of experience, home towns and rest time for the officials.

Yes, people are complaining. It's heard every year. Honestly, sit back and wait. I know there are many factors in everyone's lives that having this schedule out two days ago would have helped, but it is what it is. Judging by the time of day the schedules are posted, I'm sure no one that is responsible for them are sitting with their feet up passing the time of day.