To xxref

To xxref

Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:40 pm #1

#26 in the Fan Forum thread is one step from oblivion. You have to be quick to get in on the debates these days and I'm slowing down with age.

I am afraid it is the same old pro-fighting/anti-fighting argument and all the discussions in the world won't move a single person to switch sides. As a sports traditionalist it is odd to find myself on the other side. But I was a hockey and am a lacrosse fan for the hockey and lacrosse, not the fighting. The fact fighting isn't just tolerated but is actually glorified is rather pathetic. Of course it is un-Canadian to be against fighting. Our two sports are the only ones in the entire world which consider fighting to be part of the game. Is that Canadian exceptionalism? I personally think it is rather embarrassing. Of course no one outside Canada notices us at all so it actually isn't an embarrassment.

As for fans wanting fighting in lacrosse/hockey, I've never taken any polls and wouldn't trust any such poll to be objective. My one experience was bumping into an old college buddy at the Brooklin Arena who had come out to see all the fights. I don't know how many Redmen games he attended - one per year? I've never seen him at another game since then. Is lacrosse relying on this type of fan to keep it going? It is curious that this fellow played Jr.B hockey for the Oshawa Legionaries and went on to become a head coach in provincial Jr.A.

Yet to be honest, some of my oldest memories are of fights and brawls. Thus I am sympathetic towards the pro-fighting crowd. Such moments of madness appeal to the neanderthal in us all. Besides we've all been conditioned to love fighting by the Canadian sporting media. It takes time and effort for one to break free of such programming and learn to think for oneself.

Yet there is no denying that lacrosse is a sport and hockey is a sport and that fighting is not suppose to be part of either game and is, in fact, against the rules. It's a shame that the people running these sports all these years have been too weak to enforce the rules. And it is tragic that it will take serious injuries before it is deemed politically correct to finally ban fighting.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:10 am #2

Gotta give it up to Paul. He always comes through with some of the most intriguing posts on the forum. I respect his opinion greatly.