suspension eligibility question

suspension eligibility question

Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:18 am #1

Quick question . . .

In minor and non-OHL junior hockey if a player is suspended - they are suspended from officiating and coaching as well until the suspension is served with the team that the infraction occurred.

For example - A junior 'C' player is suspended for 2 games - he cannot referee any hockey or coach the local Bantam team until he serves his 2 games with the Junior C team.

Does it work this way in lacrosse?

If player is suspended can he still officiate ? or coach another team?

If a minor lacrosse coach is suspended - can he player Senior? or Officiate?

Just wondering

THanks

Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:33 am #2

I didn't know that was the case in Ontario hockey. What an incredibly stupid rule! So if an OHL player gets one of the league's famous five or ten game phantom suspensions, the pee wee team he helps coach gets penalized by losing a coach? These guys coach to help out, not for the glory. Why punish the kids?

Hopefully the OLA doesn't have this bizarre rule!

Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:36 am #3

My OHL example was bad, since I remember you said non-OHL. But my point still stands. Don't punish the kids, that's just unethical IMO.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:07 am #4

Quick question . . .

In minor and non-OHL junior hockey if a player is suspended - they are suspended from officiating and coaching as well until the suspension is served with the team that the infraction occurred.

For example - A junior 'C' player is suspended for 2 games - he cannot referee any hockey or coach the local Bantam team until he serves his 2 games with the Junior C team.

Does it work this way in lacrosse?

If player is suspended can he still officiate ? or coach another team?

If a minor lacrosse coach is suspended - can he player Senior? or Officiate?

Just wondering

THanks
She:kon!

-------
<font size="2"><strong>R16.14
</strong>Suspension of an individual by the corporation shall cover his or her activities in all phases of lacrosse unless specifically stated otherwise at the time of suspension by governing body.
-------
<strong>MR10.13</strong>
Suspension of an individual by the Corporation shall cover his or her activities in all phases of lacrosse unless specifically stated otherwise at the time of suspension.
-------

In other words, you are suspended from the association.  The rule is pretty clear so I don't buy the "why punish the kids" sentiment.  That is like not putting someone in jail for bank robbery because they also drive meals on wheels and feed the pigeons in the park.  :D
</font>

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:15 am #5

If an athlete volunteers his time to help the kids, and OLA prevents him from doing so because of an incident that doesn't involve the kids, who's getting hurt? The kids!! They lose their coach. The player? He just has more free time. He's coaching to help kids, not for the glory. If you have two jobs in the media and get suspended from one, it doesn't affect the other. If you get laid off from working for the cancer society, it doesn't preclude you from volunteering your time win the cancer society.

I find this illogical. Talk about discouraging community involvement from players! Why not let them help the kids during a suspension? Where is the harm?

Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:16 am #6

Also, I don't understand you analogy. I'm not saying you don't suspend the player from his games. I'm just saying his role as a player should not affect his role as a coach in another level. If he's a player-coach on one team, then by all means, he can be suspended from both.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:32 am #7

I agree, very stupid rule.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:52 am #8

If an athlete volunteers his time to help the kids, and OLA prevents him from doing so because of an incident that doesn't involve the kids, who's getting hurt? The kids!! They lose their coach. The player? He just has more free time. He's coaching to help kids, not for the glory. If you have two jobs in the media and get suspended from one, it doesn't affect the other. If you get laid off from working for the cancer society, it doesn't preclude you from volunteering your time win the cancer society.

I find this illogical. Talk about discouraging community involvement from players! Why not let them help the kids during a suspension? Where is the harm?

If you get suspended by your job as a reporter with the Toronto Star, you can't show up for work as an editor.  If you get suspended from the Cancer Society, you can't show up and volunteer for the Cancer Society.  Most places of employment operate this way and you know it.  Most volunteer associations work this way as well.

The rule is pretty clear and you are simply nit-picking without looking at the big picture.  According to your logic, if a coach get's suspended from a team, he should be able to come back on the bench as an assistant coach or a trainer.  If a player gets suspended from team A, he is still eligible to play for team B through an affiliation agreement.  I mean, it wasn't team B's fault that the player was involved in an incident with team A was it - so why should team B suffer?  I don't think so...

The rule is very clear as to who is responsible for their behaviour.  If a player is a <em>responsible </em>coach then it is incumbent on him not to get suspended and not be able to coach now isn't it?  If the player is the type who gets suspended often that it hurts his minor team, it isn't a matter of questioning the OLA rule, it is a matter of questioning the player's suitability as a minor coach.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:18 am #9

-------
<font size="2"><strong>R16.14
</strong>Suspension of an individual by the corporation shall cover his or her activities in all phases of lacrosse unless specifically stated otherwise at the time of suspension by governing body.
-------
<strong>MR10.13</strong>
Suspension of an individual by the Corporation shall cover his or her activities in all phases of lacrosse unless specifically stated otherwise at the time of suspension.
-------

In other words, you are suspended from the association.  The rule is pretty clear so I don't buy the "why punish the kids" sentiment.  That is like not putting someone in jail for bank robbery because they also drive meals on wheels and feed the pigeons in the park.  :D
</font>

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

I'm OK with the rules. You are what you are no matter what part of the sport you are participating in. If I was the parent of a Pee Wee player for example and found out that my child's coach who may coach or play Jr. or Sr. for example had been suspended for (for the sake of argument) an intent to injure, a racial slur, an abuse of an official, etc. I would question whether or not I would want him coaching my kid.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:11 am #10

If you get suspended by your job as a reporter with the Toronto Star, you can't show up for work as an editor.  If you get suspended from the Cancer Society, you can't show up and volunteer for the Cancer Society.  Most places of employment operate this way and you know it.  Most volunteer associations work this way as well.

The rule is pretty clear and you are simply nit-picking without looking at the big picture.  According to your logic, if a coach get's suspended from a team, he should be able to come back on the bench as an assistant coach or a trainer.  If a player gets suspended from team A, he is still eligible to play for team B through an affiliation agreement.  I mean, it wasn't team B's fault that the player was involved in an incident with team A was it - so why should team B suffer?  I don't think so...

The rule is very clear as to who is responsible for their behaviour.  If a player is a <em>responsible </em>coach then it is incumbent on him not to get suspended and not be able to coach now isn't it?  If the player is the type who gets suspended often that it hurts his minor team, it isn't a matter of questioning the OLA rule, it is a matter of questioning the player's suitability as a minor coach.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...
What? If you're fired from the cancer society, of course you could still be a volunteer!! Why would you say otherwise?

Totally disagree with your premise. It's clear we won't change each other's minds, and I think this rule is unethical. Should a player in junior A be able to play in B while suspended? No. But should someone suspended as a player in one league be suspended as a coach in another? Not a chance!! It's a team game. Suspensions are designed to hurt the team, not the player, as the game is about winning. Why should the Brampton pee wees (for example) be punished for something that involved an MSL team with pro athletes? It's completely illogical.

No, the person suspended as a writer at the Star couldn't be an editor. But if he was a writer at the Star and an editor at the Globe and Mail, he could still work at the Globe during the suspension.

I'll take it a step further -- if someone is an editor at the Edmonton Journal and a writer for the Calgary Herald (same ownership), it is highly unlikely the suspension would cross over.

Here's another analogy -- if a player is suspended by the NHL for five games but is named an assistant coach, he'd be able to be behind the bench of that particular team, which is more borderline than this situation.