Sure....

Sure....

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:21 pm #1

I was at a minor AA hockey game the other day, watching a few lacrosse players play hockey. I'll admit that being in an arena, when its cold it isn't something we've done often, the odd time we'll check out a game, but other than that, summer, lacrosse, is really the only time in the rink.

Getting to my point, I spoke to a parent from the visiting team, mentioned lacrosse....her response was "He wants to play lacrosse...." she continues... "but I won't let him....any sport that allows this (cross checking motion) is to rough for him..." "He plays spring hockey, takes hockey schools, power skating...and summer hockey..."...."we are a hockey family...my husband, and I both play as well, my husband did all that (hockey) growing up"

Of course, me and my big mouth.... "did your husband enjoy his NHL career?"....her response was "oh no, he never played in the NHL, he played Jr.".... me "Jr. A?" her "no" me "Jr. B?" her "No, Jr. C!" me "awesome...all that training paid off"... her "yes it did (smiling, thinking all is good, and this convo going right over her head)..." but he got hurt, his knee, hit a rut, and everything was over..."

me "Whew... at least he wasn't (cross checking motion)"....she states "yes it was...." No clue.

Hockey is Hockey, it always will be... it creates people to go crazy...if lacrosse scheduled early morning practices, or tournaments every weekend, and ones far away...Chicago, California, Minnesota, parents would be nuts. We have trouble scheduling items on Mother's day...let alone a travel game early on Easter morning, two hours away. (this occurred last year). Interesting side note...I was looked at cross eyed for even going to watch the game on Easter...

You'll never get back the time you spent reading this, but the bottom line is, yes, hockey is killing our National sport, but most summer sports, hurt our sport. It's a battle, our sport provides the best "cross training" for most, if not all, other sports. But because of the preceived roughness, aggressive natural, lacrosse gets knocked. PLUS WE'VE ALL HEARD THIS BEFORE "We don't want to travel in the summer, we do to much during the winter...".."the summer is for us.."

Before people get all haired up, sending messages left, right, and center, please understand that the majority of hockey parents are amazing, and understand things. It's a choice that I feel should be up to the player...if they want to try other sports, let them.

Registration, has been declining over the past few years, not really as a direct result to spring hockey, but it adds to it. People feel if they leave the loop of hockey, their precious little Wayne, or Mario, or even Hayley will be over looked, when "cold weather hits" meaning getting cut, or demoted to the AA or MD or houseleague...

Finally, and something that I've always stated that really bothers me, is "some players will miss lacrosse for hockey, but never hockey for lacrosse" I said some.....

Hockey coaches can dictate....Lacrosse coaches walk on egg shells, at times. Lacrosse coaches, in certain centers, have to be very flexible with other schedules, other sports, vacations, family reunions, weddings, etc. etc. Some people that coach both, can agree or disagree...

We fight all the time for our sport, hear we thought our enemy was baseball, and soccer, but the vision of tne NHL, and training has created the "cold" weather sport of hockey to be a 8-9 month sport, adding to our list.

Thanks,

Jim Bell
rbell1@cogeco.ca
519-337-7228

* I have some great friends that do both. The operative word is both....let them explore sports, and try them.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:23 pm #2

Not sure what happened... but this was suppose to fall in the Spring hockey thread..sorry.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:48 pm #3

I was at a minor AA hockey game the other day, watching a few lacrosse players play hockey. I'll admit that being in an arena, when its cold it isn't something we've done often, the odd time we'll check out a game, but other than that, summer, lacrosse, is really the only time in the rink.

Getting to my point, I spoke to a parent from the visiting team, mentioned lacrosse....her response was "He wants to play lacrosse...." she continues... "but I won't let him....any sport that allows this (cross checking motion) is to rough for him..." "He plays spring hockey, takes hockey schools, power skating...and summer hockey..."...."we are a hockey family...my husband, and I both play as well, my husband did all that (hockey) growing up"

Of course, me and my big mouth.... "did your husband enjoy his NHL career?"....her response was "oh no, he never played in the NHL, he played Jr.".... me "Jr. A?" her "no" me "Jr. B?" her "No, Jr. C!" me "awesome...all that training paid off"... her "yes it did (smiling, thinking all is good, and this convo going right over her head)..." but he got hurt, his knee, hit a rut, and everything was over..."

me "Whew... at least he wasn't (cross checking motion)"....she states "yes it was...." No clue.

Hockey is Hockey, it always will be... it creates people to go crazy...if lacrosse scheduled early morning practices, or tournaments every weekend, and ones far away...Chicago, California, Minnesota, parents would be nuts. We have trouble scheduling items on Mother's day...let alone a travel game early on Easter morning, two hours away. (this occurred last year). Interesting side note...I was looked at cross eyed for even going to watch the game on Easter...

You'll never get back the time you spent reading this, but the bottom line is, yes, hockey is killing our National sport, but most summer sports, hurt our sport. It's a battle, our sport provides the best "cross training" for most, if not all, other sports. But because of the preceived roughness, aggressive natural, lacrosse gets knocked. PLUS WE'VE ALL HEARD THIS BEFORE "We don't want to travel in the summer, we do to much during the winter...".."the summer is for us.."

Before people get all haired up, sending messages left, right, and center, please understand that the majority of hockey parents are amazing, and understand things. It's a choice that I feel should be up to the player...if they want to try other sports, let them.

Registration, has been declining over the past few years, not really as a direct result to spring hockey, but it adds to it. People feel if they leave the loop of hockey, their precious little Wayne, or Mario, or even Hayley will be over looked, when "cold weather hits" meaning getting cut, or demoted to the AA or MD or houseleague...

Finally, and something that I've always stated that really bothers me, is "some players will miss lacrosse for hockey, but never hockey for lacrosse" I said some.....

Hockey coaches can dictate....Lacrosse coaches walk on egg shells, at times. Lacrosse coaches, in certain centers, have to be very flexible with other schedules, other sports, vacations, family reunions, weddings, etc. etc. Some people that coach both, can agree or disagree...

We fight all the time for our sport, hear we thought our enemy was baseball, and soccer, but the vision of tne NHL, and training has created the "cold" weather sport of hockey to be a 8-9 month sport, adding to our list.

Thanks,

Jim Bell
rbell1@cogeco.ca
519-337-7228

* I have some great friends that do both. The operative word is both....let them explore sports, and try them.
Well said.....

"Jr. C".....brilliant.....I wish I could have heard that convo in person.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:56 pm #4

Thanks,

Jim Bell
rbell1@cogeco.ca
519-337-7228

She:kon!

Of course there is no big bux in girls hockey so the incentive isn't the same, but here is a quote from The Tomohawks website:

"Another interesting note Captain Kelly Babstock showing tremendous leadership and sacrifice would have to choose between hockey on the Under 18 Team Ontario or her Mississauga Tomahawk lacrosse team; the OWHA made her choose; not allowing her to miss some off ice. Kelly Babstock said it was all worth it to win a gold medal with your team at the provincial lacrosse championships. Kelly would finish the tournament with 43 goals and 5 assists in 8 games."

I am sure there are a few kids who skip hockey for lacrosse.  I know some kids that dropped hockey for lacrosse.  They weren't necessarily Jr A calibre hockey players, but they did make a choice for whatever reasons. 

Excellent post though, thanks for posting!

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:25 pm #5

Thanks,

Jim Bell
rbell1@cogeco.ca
519-337-7228

I love how his JR c career came to an end.
Kids must already have contracts signed for the NHL!!!

I agree let your kids choose the sports that they would like to play..

When Hockey season ids over in our house we hang up the skates until late August before we dust them off and get them out.

1 Season 1 Sport
whether you are good at it or not it doesn't really matter as long as you are having fun and making new friends

Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:04 am #6

Thanks,

Jim Bell
rbell1@cogeco.ca
519-337-7228

digging as deep as you did to find the Junior C straw man? We've all been around hockey enough to recognize the dreamers who can't let go, the vicarious living parents, the lunatics and on and on. However....Hockey holds a slight majority position here in Canada, I'm sure you've noticed. It's part of many more families' vision of their heritage than lax will ever be; even if that heritage is as 'insignificant' as being third generation house league at the local arena.

This mother expressed a natural fear, albeit partly naive, for the safety of her son. As tenuously funny as the connection you made between this and her husbands hockey demise through a classic hockey injury, to her it is real.

I read the hockey threads where lacrosse occasionally comes up and even aside from the usual N54 rampant flaming the ignorance and in most cases the DISDAIN for the game outside our small fraternity is pretty much universal. If a slightly-hesitant-but-curious-because-Junior-is-onto-them-about-lacrosse hockey parent came over here by mistake they might happen across this little honey of a quote from a post today. "Great Coaching, Decent Offence, and Tough Defence and a handfull of guys that will drop the gloves at the snap of the finger... Mimico has it all to go all the way so long as Key Offensive Players return" Out of context as this quote would be for a non-lacrosse person, that mother is running for the hills with 8 YO Junior under her arm to sign him up for spring hockey.

It's past time for lax to admit their source for participants to fuel growth is mainly over in hockey. Educate them; promote the game with them. Stop baiting them, it's a lose-lose.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:53 pm #7

While I do agree; when I've had similar conversations with other hockey parents, rather than goad them or try to convince them, I simply educate them. I say that I was drawn to lacrosse when I was told that it was the best way to continue conditioning in the off season and to develop hand eye coordination. I give them quotes from Wayne Gretzky, Sidney Crosby, and John Tavares (the hockey one, not the lacrosse one) about how a lot of their skills they learned from lacrosse. I educate them about how the first thing they're taught in house league EVERY SEASON is how to give and take a hit cleanly and safely, how I'd rather see my child receive a cross check from the side than a body check from behind, and finally how my friend (a local ER nurse) says she sees more basketball or soccer injuries than lacrosse injuries and that they're usually worse in the other sports. Then you leave it up to them. Educate Educate Educate. You will never convince them or convert them. They'd have to admit they were wrong and that won't happen. Educate and leave them to think about it and it just might work.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:42 am #8

I agree that the biggest problem of getting hockey parents to bite is how us people promote our game... and we love to make it out for what it isn't (some "manly" violent activity).
I remember seeing stats from '98 that put lacrosse at #32 for visits to an emergency ward, behind ballroom dancing and bowling!
First on the list... Hockey, second... cycling, third... snowboarding!
Now that was over 10 years ago and I know boarding has exploded since then.
Talk about dangerous, let's strap little johnny to a board and send him down a slippery incline or strap blades on his feet and send him out to fall into boards, posts and other players.
People laugh when I share those stats. And then ask "are you serious?"
"This is a sure footed game that benefits the intelligent player, not the goons" is my response... (of course I add in the perennial stuff about "the best cross training for hockey is lacrosse" and then spout the list of NHLers who speak highly of our game) and that gets them thinking a little differently.

Hospitals are a great place to meet boarders...drop into Barrie or Collingwood any weekend and you'll get the idea.

Life is all about salesmanship. And this sport could sure use a heavy dose of that!

V

P.S- we all know that the key is the kid. If they want it the parents will come around. Why do you think McD's exists?