Some Junior A stats

Some Junior A stats

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:20 pm #1

I don't mean to poke fun at the Mississauga Tomahawks Junior A lacrosse team as last night they showed up in Whitby with 2 goaltenders and 10 runners to play the Minto Cup Champion Whitby Warriors. The kids that showed up for Mississauga played their heart out and although clearly outclassed and outnumbered they deserve credit for not reverting to any goonery as it must be frustrating as game after game these kids get beat but still manage to keep their heads and not revert to a game of thuggery. The question I have to ask is, isn't it time to move the team down a notch and have themn join with the Junior B team from Mississauga and enter one team at the Junior B level? There's probably some reason for this but it's certainly escaped me.

Below is the Mississauga record season by season since the turn of the centtury.

YEAR GAMES WON LOST TIED POINTS
2000 20 12 8 0 24 - finished fourth lost out first round of the playoffs
2001 20 7 13 0 14
2002 20 3 17 0 6
2003 20 7 12 1 15
2004 20 0 20 0 0
2005 22 3 19 0 6
2006 22 7 15 0 14
2007 18 5 13 0 10
2008 22 2 20 0 4
2009 22 1 21 0 2
2010 22 2 20 0 4
2011 22 2 20 0 4
2012 20 0 20 0 0 assuming they lose the last game of the season

Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:34 am #2

I will first off thank you Wamper for your contribution to lacrosse. Your stats upkeep is tremendous. Lacrosse needs more people like you. Im not sure if poking fun at a team that has had a tough time the past while is a nice thing to do. I will share with you some insight that I have on this Organization.

I can not answer your question as to why they do not step down from the A league. I will tell you that the young gentleman they have had over the past 3 years has done an admirable job staying with this team as long as he has. If there is any saving grace in that Organization it is him. The passion and drive he has for this game is 2nd to none. If you look at his tenure over the 3 years and see the record, sure it isnt great. he hasnt had much to work with. If you have seen the team from then to now , you will see a dramatic increase in the talent level. His first year there, the Head Coach left the team before the season started an dleft him to salvage what was there. 2nd season Garrey Willock massacred his team and traded away over half of the oraganizations talent within days including his son. This is the 1st year he has truly gotten ahold of this team. The record isnt there again , but he has truly made his stamp on this organization moving players who had attitudes or didnt fit into what he is wanting to do...build a winning program. You can see with his deals , they are geared toward a big year in 2013 and beyond, bringing in names like Lyle Thompson among others, he has a good nucleus of young players that will be stars like Joaquim, Drafted players Connor Brown, Kyle Lewis and Oran Horn and young future stud goalie Zach Rex. He has the core there. if he can get them all together, Mississauga will be the team to watch next year. If you ask other teams they will alos agree that Mississauga will become a hot destination for lacrosse very soon. I do not think than any one works as hard as him when trying to recruit or scouting, He is always at the arenas.

When i ask him why he stays after all of the stuff he has had to deal with there, his answer was simple.. "it's a challenge that I want, Its a challenge I can rise up to and beat."

If and when he decides to move on, I know he will have more than a dozen teams offering him a managing position. Henhawk Definately has a bright future in this league and game!

Only time will tell if he and the Tomahawks can rise up and conquer his challenge!

Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:31 am #3

I am old enough to remember the days that the Mississauga lacrosse produced top calibre teams such as the Missy PCOS and later the Chiefs--they rivaled the great Peterborough teams back in the 70's but really have not been a front runner since. One can ask why- from the lack of volunteers or the changing makeup of the Mississauga landscape--but lacrosse in Mississauga is only popular in a tiny portion of that large city

Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:30 pm #4

I will first off thank you Wamper for your contribution to lacrosse. Your stats upkeep is tremendous. Lacrosse needs more people like you. Im not sure if poking fun at a team that has had a tough time the past while is a nice thing to do. I will share with you some insight that I have on this Organization.

I can not answer your question as to why they do not step down from the A league. I will tell you that the young gentleman they have had over the past 3 years has done an admirable job staying with this team as long as he has. If there is any saving grace in that Organization it is him. The passion and drive he has for this game is 2nd to none. If you look at his tenure over the 3 years and see the record, sure it isnt great. he hasnt had much to work with. If you have seen the team from then to now , you will see a dramatic increase in the talent level. His first year there, the Head Coach left the team before the season started an dleft him to salvage what was there. 2nd season Garrey Willock massacred his team and traded away over half of the oraganizations talent within days including his son. This is the 1st year he has truly gotten ahold of this team. The record isnt there again , but he has truly made his stamp on this organization moving players who had attitudes or didnt fit into what he is wanting to do...build a winning program. You can see with his deals , they are geared toward a big year in 2013 and beyond, bringing in names like Lyle Thompson among others, he has a good nucleus of young players that will be stars like Joaquim, Drafted players Connor Brown, Kyle Lewis and Oran Horn and young future stud goalie Zach Rex. He has the core there. if he can get them all together, Mississauga will be the team to watch next year. If you ask other teams they will alos agree that Mississauga will become a hot destination for lacrosse very soon. I do not think than any one works as hard as him when trying to recruit or scouting, He is always at the arenas.

When i ask him why he stays after all of the stuff he has had to deal with there, his answer was simple.. "it's a challenge that I want, Its a challenge I can rise up to and beat."

If and when he decides to move on, I know he will have more than a dozen teams offering him a managing position. Henhawk Definately has a bright future in this league and game!

Only time will tell if he and the Tomahawks can rise up and conquer his challenge!
I want to congratulate the kids that are sticking it out. I don't want to be harsh here but my understanding is that the "A" and "B" teams are run by the same people and it is hard to understand why with all these players carded that they could only muster 10 runners when the "B" team is finished for the year. I know that Lyle Thompson's "A" rights belong to St. Kitts, and somehow he has transferred to a phantom kahnawake ila jr. B team and he is playing in the tnll senior B league (go figure) and he will never be in a missy uniform unless they open the vault big time....i know both kyle lewis and oran horn and yes both are very good players but getting them to play there could be a chore...having said that, i wish the tomahawks management and staff all the best and hope they can turn it around

Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:50 am #5

It's amazing how little this forum does for the game of lacrosse.