Scheduling & Volunteers

Scheduling & Volunteers

Thu May 24, 2007 3:23 pm #1

For all of you on here "looking for the schedule"....I can't wait to see all of you at the Minor Field AGM...we are always looking for more volunteers.

I always thought that a good rule is that you can't complain about something until you've done it, experienced it, or are willing to do it.

As many people have said, these people are volunteers, who have kids playing box & field, who have jobs & lives, and in between all that have to work out a schedule based on fields, games, teams, etc. and is accurate. It is not quick, nor easy, but that work really hard so you have a season and a League for your kids.

I hope all of you "THANK" people like Rob Roy & Greg Hummel for putting together these schedules and helping support the League for your children.

Great season to all...and again, I can't wait to see all of you out at the AGM this Fall...by the sounds of things we should have to turn volunteers away!

Good luck to all teams in K-W this weekend.

Owen

Thu May 24, 2007 5:24 pm #2

I keep hearing that they are all volunteers and to give them a break in regards to the lateness of the schedules every single weekend. I have been involved with field for three years as a parent and as a coach and can understand the frustration on both sides(scheduler&parent/coach). I think it's time to find out why the schedules are coming out late and deal with the issues that are the direct cause of it, and stop blaming anybody...lets fix it for next year. Whether it be no scores sent in or the scheduler had no time, whatever the reason we do need to look and find the solutions as adults for the betterment of the kids and everyone involved. Yes you can respond to this email negatively, although I hope people would suggest viable solutions that the powers to be can implement for next year.

Yours in Field

Thu May 24, 2007 5:55 pm #3

I could not agree more. Let's find the root cause of the delay and fix it. As far as volunteering goes, I like many others, is involved with both field and box, as a coach, trainer and equipment manager. I have two children that play and make the time to do all the extras that need to be done during the lacrosse season as well as volunteering in other areas outside of the sport.
My earlier post was my venting frustration over the long wait for something that should have been easily done.

Thebigwall

Thu May 24, 2007 7:25 pm #4

Gentlemen,

The problem is the season. We run a 4-5 week season. Scheduling is done for the 3-week regular season and is usually posted early enough that most people don't complain. However, there are always teams dropping out last minute and also field availability issues this year created problems. Neither of these issues are ever going to go away unless you force towns to rent fields prior to the May long weekend (not going to happen) and registration always dictates the number of teams you can field...and we all know about registration issues. Neither of these issues can be "root caused".

Let's discuss EastQualifiers...after the last game on Saturday, ratings for novice & peewee teams begin. After the last game on Sunday, ratings begin. Now, you have to schedule based on those ratings. Could you send out ratings before the schedule...perhaps. It would allow for appeals. You then have to determine the schedule for all the teams & divisions (varying formats based on the number of teams). You know also have to look at field locations and any other restrictions in scheduling. Of course, this all has to be done while you are coaching or administering, running kids to whatever (box/field/other)...oh and let's not forget the siblings and their stuff. Oh wait...family? work? No time for that either! So they get the schedule out by Wednesday....that is quite good I say!

Regarding the West Qualifiers...well they had a mixup this year and it created an issue. This is an exception and should be treated as such. Root causing exceptions will only bring you back to a personal mistake of someone that can never be fixed. Human error is just that. Typically it works the same as the East...let's move on.

Provincials...the format is always the same. However, you have to slot the teams in. There may be issues with the number of fields and correcting some scheduling issues that were apparent from the previous years. Who knows what they are dealing with...but I can tell you if they can get it out sooner they would....so everyone would stop calling/emailing/harrassing them about issuing the schedule.

By the way...Coaching, Managing, Trainers...that is not "involved". Try being a League Administrator. It is very different. When I mean "involved"...I mean BECOME the scheduling, be a Commissioner, a Treasurer, etc. Then you may just understand what these people go through. Comparing to a coach to trainer is so vastly uncomparable you have no idea.

Our season is short, even shorter for those trying to administer. Please be patient, be nice, and just go out and play!

Good luck guys this weekend.

Thu May 24, 2007 8:46 pm #5

Again, all I'm hearing is it's really difficult to manage family, lacrosse ,siblings......really... I wouldn't know!!!. I work three shifts which includes weekends and have two boys playing the game.
My last e-mail was not to bash or point fingers to the volunteers who give up their valuable time to go above and beyond what is expected of them. On the other hand there are families that are also trying to manage their life ...without them you have no league.
So I appeal to all who enter this forum to suggest ways to make the league run smoother next year.
I suggest that all coaches or team managers from the home teams are responsible for the scores being in on time.
anyone else??????

Yours in Lacrosse

Thu May 24, 2007 8:50 pm #6

Gentlemen,

The problem is the season. We run a 4-5 week season. Scheduling is done for the 3-week regular season and is usually posted early enough that most people don't complain. However, there are always teams dropping out last minute and also field availability issues this year created problems. Neither of these issues are ever going to go away unless you force towns to rent fields prior to the May long weekend (not going to happen) and registration always dictates the number of teams you can field...and we all know about registration issues. Neither of these issues can be "root caused".

Let's discuss EastQualifiers...after the last game on Saturday, ratings for novice & peewee teams begin. After the last game on Sunday, ratings begin. Now, you have to schedule based on those ratings. Could you send out ratings before the schedule...perhaps. It would allow for appeals. You then have to determine the schedule for all the teams & divisions (varying formats based on the number of teams). You know also have to look at field locations and any other restrictions in scheduling. Of course, this all has to be done while you are coaching or administering, running kids to whatever (box/field/other)...oh and let's not forget the siblings and their stuff. Oh wait...family? work? No time for that either! So they get the schedule out by Wednesday....that is quite good I say!

Regarding the West Qualifiers...well they had a mixup this year and it created an issue. This is an exception and should be treated as such. Root causing exceptions will only bring you back to a personal mistake of someone that can never be fixed. Human error is just that. Typically it works the same as the East...let's move on.

Provincials...the format is always the same. However, you have to slot the teams in. There may be issues with the number of fields and correcting some scheduling issues that were apparent from the previous years. Who knows what they are dealing with...but I can tell you if they can get it out sooner they would....so everyone would stop calling/emailing/harrassing them about issuing the schedule.

By the way...Coaching, Managing, Trainers...that is not "involved". Try being a League Administrator. It is very different. When I mean "involved"...I mean BECOME the scheduling, be a Commissioner, a Treasurer, etc. Then you may just understand what these people go through. Comparing to a coach to trainer is so vastly uncomparable you have no idea.

Our season is short, even shorter for those trying to administer. Please be patient, be nice, and just go out and play!

Good luck guys this weekend.
These people who you claim are "not involved" are the ones dealing with all the day to day issues with their team. They are also getting the same calls, e-mails etc. regarding the schedule that you are complaining about - parents need to arrange time off work, care for siblings, etc.

Without these "not involved" people, you would have no one to schedule anything for!

Thebigwall

Thu May 24, 2007 8:52 pm #7

Again, all I'm hearing is it's really difficult to manage family, lacrosse ,siblings......really... I wouldn't know!!!. I work three shifts which includes weekends and have two boys playing the game.
My last e-mail was not to bash or point fingers to the volunteers who give up their valuable time to go above and beyond what is expected of them. On the other hand there are families that are also trying to manage their life ...without them you have no league.
So I appeal to all who enter this forum to suggest ways to make the league run smoother next year.
I suggest that all coaches or team managers from the home teams are responsible for the scores being in on time.
anyone else??????

Yours in Lacrosse
I will reiterate what I've said before, volunteering is just that, you aren't paid except in thanks, usually. Having said that, I have administered and been an executive in sports for 5 years. I DO NOT volunteer for a job if I cannot fulfill my commitments to do it. I am so sick of hearing that they are "just volunteers" and have "other responsabilities" there is a simple solution to that. Look at the responsabilities entailed in a job description BEFORE you take it on and if your other commitments (i.e. family work etc) are not going to be condusive to fulfilling the commitment, don't make it! As to coaching, managing, and training not being "stepping up" or "getting involved" 2 things to say 1. you have to start somewhere to learn how it is run before you can jump in and run it.
2. LET'S SEE YOU RUN A LEAGUE WITHOUT THESE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

Thu May 24, 2007 8:56 pm #8

These people who you claim are "not involved" are the ones dealing with all the day to day issues with their team. They are also getting the same calls, e-mails etc. regarding the schedule that you are complaining about - parents need to arrange time off work, care for siblings, etc.

Without these "not involved" people, you would have no one to schedule anything for!

Thebigwall
I love the last two post but where are your suggestions????? lol

Thu May 24, 2007 9:02 pm #9

I "suggest" you apologize to the coaches before they don't show up this weekend, nah they wouldn't do that to the kids. How about all the suggestions that HAVE been made already. Scores being faxed/emailed by more than one person to avoid the stuff that went on this year in the west. If we have a back up person sending them on, we wouldn't have to ever worry about the same issues. How about looking at a later season, beginning after box ends, even if you have to start box a little earlier, most arenas are done with hockey early enough, or you could hold try outs for box at an outdoor venue (ball hockey rink for example) Most hockey has spring tryouts now anyways so the neverending argument of "it'll conflict with hockey tryouts" is dwindling down. My family has begun calling this the "greatest game off ice" we'd hate to see it end because of scheduling issues with cities.

Thu May 24, 2007 9:51 pm #10

I will reiterate what I've said before, volunteering is just that, you aren't paid except in thanks, usually. Having said that, I have administered and been an executive in sports for 5 years. I DO NOT volunteer for a job if I cannot fulfill my commitments to do it. I am so sick of hearing that they are "just volunteers" and have "other responsabilities" there is a simple solution to that. Look at the responsabilities entailed in a job description BEFORE you take it on and if your other commitments (i.e. family work etc) are not going to be condusive to fulfilling the commitment, don't make it! As to coaching, managing, and training not being "stepping up" or "getting involved" 2 things to say 1. you have to start somewhere to learn how it is run before you can jump in and run it.
2. LET'S SEE YOU RUN A LEAGUE WITHOUT THESE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!
For the first time i have jumped into the pot and become involved on the executive of our small town Lacrosse league.I take my position very seriously and devote many ,many hours to the organization.I will never ever talk down a volunteer on any board of any non-profit organization again.My family has suffered hugely the last 3 months.I am not home most nights to check thier agendas,read with them or spend any quality time with them...I am at the arena.My house is upside down ,my Laundry not done.Most of these jobs are huge undertakings and Guess what ?For all that is sacrificed by my family so i can do an exemplary job at my volunteer position "I STILL HAVE PEOPLE COMPLAINING" I had a meeting with my Childs teacher today She asked me why I think my son grades and attidude has changed for the worse the last 3 months.I told her its because I volunteered for my Local Lacrosse association and I never have any time for him or my other 4 children.As Crusader pointed out ...We also have families ,jobs and other commitments other then Lacrosse.
I myself am very pleased with how Field went this year,Infact I which that waiting for the field schedule was the only lacrosse issue effecting my family this past few months.

My point is ...It is not as simple as "don't take on the job if you cannot do it properly"We had 3 people show up for our AGM and all of us joined a board who already was overburdened.

Many hands make light work.GET INVOLVED! Help work with your towns to get fields and scheduling will be a heck of alot easier.