Redux: Polls: Provincial Format and Provincial Awards.

Redux: Polls: Provincial Format and Provincial Awards.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:31 pm #1

She:kon!

The results so far show an overwhelming support (82%) for rotating the provincials, with most favouring the retention of the Festival format, but moved around.  Just a few (15%) prefer the status quo.

On the questions as to what the rewards should be for provincial participants, 79% voted for the gold-silver-bronze format.

If you haven't voted yet, please feel free to do so.

The question now is the validity of our little OLA Fan Forum opinion polls.  With less than 200 voters, what does that mean; could it even be considered a ballpark figure with which to make decisions about such things?

I would guess that should this be put to a poll at the AGM, we would see a similar result in the numbers.  What do you think?

Skennen

...Tsistshoh...

Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:22 pm #2

I think the general forum fan base represents a good sampling of the "lacrosse people" in Ontario and especially ones who care about our game and want it to grow and want to see changes for the betterment of everyone involved. I agree that a poll at the AGM would likely yield similar results.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:55 pm #3

The results so far show an overwhelming support (82%) for rotating the provincials, with most favouring the retention of the Festival format, but moved around.  Just a few (15%) prefer the status quo.

On the questions as to what the rewards should be for provincial participants, 79% voted for the gold-silver-bronze format.

If you haven't voted yet, please feel free to do so.

The question now is the validity of our little OLA Fan Forum opinion polls.  With less than 200 voters, what does that mean; could it even be considered a ballpark figure with which to make decisions about such things?

I would guess that should this be put to a poll at the AGM, we would see a similar result in the numbers.  What do you think?

Skennen

...Tsistshoh...
I think the OLA should send out a questionaire to all centers and take a poll that gets handed back in to your center. They calculate the votes....then the center inputs it right on to the OLA website. This would probably be the best way to get accurate results, as the people from the OLA really donot want to move the festival. Also they would not be fudging the #'s

just my $0.02

Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:09 pm #4

The OLA sends a questionaire to a sampling of team parents after the Provincials. Each team is asked to provide e-mail addresses for about 10 or so parents when they register their team at the Provincials.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:03 pm #5

Good luck with this. The gal told our manager to make up the email addresses if he didn't have them. The OLA should be proactive and be conducting the poll and questionnaire on their website.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:44 pm #6

Why should they? They are currently running a successful multi-million dollar endeavor that has developed from the work of many over a rather short number of years. Granted there are plenty of people that are 'unhappy' at the current Festival format but that's all it really is, small objections based minor inconviences. From the perspective of the OLA, if it's not broken don't fix it.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:23 pm #7

I think your over-emphasis on the success of the Festival belies the fact that some 82% of respondents in our straw poll believe that the mulit-million dollar successful endeavour can also be replicated elsewhere.  It is a straw poll mind you, but the message is loud and clear don't you think?

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:27 pm #8

but will it matter? i personally don't think so, i watched the game grow in my city until they decided to fes(r)tivalize it, now st. catharines which had two different associations with 2 separate house-leagues now barely even able to have 1 travel team in all ages let alone house-leagues.

its been a sad time for box lacrosse in niagara the last 10 years

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:36 pm #9

I think your over-emphasis on the success of the Festival belies the fact that some 82% of respondents in our straw poll believe that the mulit-million dollar successful endeavour can also be replicated elsewhere.  It is a straw poll mind you, but the message is loud and clear don't you think?

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Of course, it is very clear. What we have to remember, however, is that the same sentiments will be directed at the Festival regardless of where it's held. This is because people aren't so much against the Festival being held in Whitby or any other one, stationary spot but because it is not as convenient for them as they would like it to be. In that regard, only a small number of people will be completely happy with the Festival at any given time. The amount of effort required to move such a thing across the province on an annual basis would be incredible; part of what makes the Festival so successful is the fact that it isn't nomadic so to speak.

I can admit that this all may be be my personal biases at work for I've been attending Festival for a good 6 years now and have loved every second of it. Call me conservative in that sense but I'd hate to see something I love so much change.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:27 am #10

Loving the Festival, or at least liking it, is fine. Let's just move it around a bit. There are several cities that could host it.