RE: Ontario Lacrosse - Lack Of Tyke , Novice and Peewee Teams - SOLUTION

RE: Ontario Lacrosse - Lack Of Tyke , Novice and Peewee Teams - SOLUTION

Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:29 pm #1

I think that minor lacrosse would benefit from the implementation of a RULES EMPHASIS strategy, similar to that recently implemented in hockey at the minor and pro levels.

I wonder if parents and kids are turning away from minor lacrosse because they've heard about, or experienced the lunacy that occasionally (or more often than that) infiltrates the fastest game on two feet. If this aggressive and extremely tough sport were simply called by the rules already outlined, we'd see a lot less of the dark side of this great game on the floor and, consequently, in the stands. The game needn't become any less tough, or aggressive; it just needs to leave behind dangerous infractions, and unsportsmanlike behaviour that escalates the chances of violence by players and parents alike.

I think that unsportsmanlike conduct is seriously UNDERCALLED in minor lacrosse in Ontario. Properly and consistently penalized (10 minute misconduct), I think that unsportmanlike conduct would quickly become minimized, reducing the chances for poor behaviour on the floor and in the stands.

The OLA would be doin' society a favour.

unclefitz.

Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:10 pm #2

Hear, hear. If hockey is the thugs game played by gents and basketball the gents game played by thugs, we're well on our way to being the thugs game played by thugs. My kid loves the game. I regret, sometimes, he didn't take up tennis.

Witness the threads over on the OLA junior forum, it often reflects the stupidity.

Gimme a minute to get my helmet so I'm ready for the name calling.

Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:30 pm #3

The more they tighten up the rules "to be safer" the more cheap shots seem to happen and the more they tighten up the cheap shots the more the fights start to happen.

Maybe one day the kids will realize that fighting and cheap shots are the most selfish thing to do in sports. It lets the whole team down.

If your kid can't take getting hit cleanly, then maybe you shouldn't put them in a contact sport. And if you as a parent can't take watching your kid get hit cleanly, then again, you shouldn't put them in a contact sport. Seems most crap happens because of this.

Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:02 pm #4

<FONT face=verdana,geneva,arial,sans-serif size=2>She:kon!</FONT>

<FONT face=verdana,geneva,arial,sans-serif size=2>I strongly believe that most of the crap that starts in a box&nbsp;game starts with referees letting lose ball minor interference go.&nbsp; If refs would consistently and closely call minor interference then the potentail for out-of-control BS is greatly reduced.</FONT>

<FONT face=verdana,geneva,arial,sans-serif size=2>For the most part, refs are pretty good about calling all the major stuff, but some need to learn how and when to call minor interference.&nbsp; It seems 3/4 of all cheap shots are given during the contested loose ball situation and with a lazy ref who would prefer to 'let 'em play' all kinds of crap happens - slashes to the ankles and legs, boarding, spears, butt ends, hits from behind, late hits, etc.&nbsp;&nbsp;And if players get the idea that a loose ball is a cheap shot free-for-all, then things quickly get stupid and escalate to&nbsp;retaliation or fights.</FONT>

<FONT face=verdana,geneva,arial,sans-serif size=2>I don't think most players or parents begrudge a good, clean hit whether receiving or giving.&nbsp; Boxla can be played rough and tough and very skilled when the referee is bright enough to stay on top of the minor interference crap.&nbsp; But allow the cheap shot loose ball play and both players and parents get riled.&nbsp; I am sure most folks on here has witnessed this sort of thing.</FONT>

<FONT face=verdana,geneva,arial,sans-serif size=2>Perhaps a change to attact more younger kids is to remove all body contact from loose ball situations entirely.&nbsp; Play the ball with your stick or the other guy gets possession.&nbsp; This would be expecially good for houseleagues where learning and playing box should be easy and fun.</FONT>

<FONT face=Verdana size=2>My two cents.</FONT>

<FONT face=Verdana size=2>Skennen</FONT>

<FONT face=Verdana size=2>...Tsitshhoh...</FONT>

Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:49 pm #5

I see where you going but thats not the solution, the solution is to teach them not to do that crap in the first place. You don't teach people after the fact, and try to get them to change their ways.

You make sure they are never that way to begin with. Parents and Coaches need to take a bigger role, If a kid is doing cheap shots and you see it as their parent and coach, you should suspend them. I don't see much of this anymore, people just let the refs decide and if they miss it, then no action seems to take place.

by the coach or parent doing nothing, you are basically telling the player its ok.

Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:12 pm #6

Are the numbers at the lower age levels really dropping off ? Does anyone have any statistics. I was not aware of that.

Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:34 pm #7

I see where you going but thats not the solution, the solution is to teach them not to do that crap in the first place. You don't teach people after the fact, and try to get them to change their ways.

You make sure they are never that way to begin with. Parents and Coaches need to take a bigger role, If a kid is doing cheap shots and you see it as their parent and coach, you should suspend them. I don't see much of this anymore, people just let the refs decide and if they miss it, then no action seems to take place.

by the coach or parent doing nothing, you are basically telling the player its ok.

Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:41 pm #8

see comment #64 on page 2 of this forum RE:refs then respond

Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:30 am #9

I think that minor lacrosse would benefit from the implementation of a RULES EMPHASIS strategy, similar to that recently implemented in hockey at the minor and pro levels.

I wonder if parents and kids are turning away from minor lacrosse because they've heard about, or experienced the lunacy that occasionally (or more often than that) infiltrates the fastest game on two feet. If this aggressive and extremely tough sport were simply called by the rules already outlined, we'd see a lot less of the dark side of this great game on the floor and, consequently, in the stands. The game needn't become any less tough, or aggressive; it just needs to leave behind dangerous infractions, and unsportsmanlike behaviour that escalates the chances of violence by players and parents alike.

I think that unsportsmanlike conduct is seriously UNDERCALLED in minor lacrosse in Ontario. Properly and consistently penalized (10 minute misconduct), I think that unsportmanlike conduct would quickly become minimized, reducing the chances for poor behaviour on the floor and in the stands.

The OLA would be doin' society a favour.

unclefitz.
The biggest reason Associations like Brockville are having a hard time attracting the young kids....Dad didn't play Lacrosse and Mom's brother didn't play lacrosse.If the young Associations can hang on until the Intermediates have some kids that can play they'll be in the cycle forever.The older Associations have a lacrosse history from Grandpa all the way down.Some of us are far removed from the lacrosse world and it's only us diehards that will travel 1 hour each way to see a Jr/Major game.Also the incredibly deficient TV coverage of the NLL doesn't help.There is zero minor lacrosse promotion in Greater Ontario.As Zones we should have TV advertising for registration as I have seen in B.C.Box Lacrosse is the bastard child of all summer sports and you can't even stumble upon it because it is played indoors.It is the greatest game but also the least known.

Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:49 am #10

Hear, hear. If hockey is the thugs game played by gents and basketball the gents game played by thugs, we're well on our way to being the thugs game played by thugs. My kid loves the game. I regret, sometimes, he didn't take up tennis.

Witness the threads over on the OLA junior forum, it often reflects the stupidity.

Gimme a minute to get my helmet so I'm ready for the name calling.
Well said for a guy who's never set a foot on a basketball court. Don't go get your helmet, it won't fit that heed anyway.