Ratings

Ratings

Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:55 pm #1

Does anyone know if the OLA will be verifying a teams scores on MyLax before making their ratings decisions, or will they just be trusting the website? My son's team record on MyLax is ridiculously incorrect and as such, that also means 4 other teams have incorrect records. I know corrections have been submitted by our team, but only one showed up and even that was incorrect. I would have hoped the other 4 teams submitted corrections too, but who knows, I guess if it works to their advantage maybe they don't want to. Leaving corrections up to the teams might not be such a good idea.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:15 pm #2

I am looking at the Peewee rankings and I noticed a team in our zone is ranked pretty high. This team has a great record, but they have only played "B" and "C" teams. They are no where near an "A" team but are now ranked in the top 10.
Don't they take into consideration the toughness of the schedule?

Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:06 pm #3

Windsor, right?

I was wondering the same thing, because their SOS is notably lower than any other top 10 teams. It appears that there are only three teams (Oakville 2, Huntsville, and Shelburne) in the top 20 with weaker schedules. They have the third highest AGD in Peewee though (behind Oakville 2 and Huntsville), so that is clearly a factor.

It would be interesting to see how they'd actually fare against the other top 10 teams.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:13 pm #4

Does anyone know if the OLA will be verifying a teams scores on MyLax before making their ratings decisions, or will they just be trusting the website? My son's team record on MyLax is ridiculously incorrect and as such, that also means 4 other teams have incorrect records. I know corrections have been submitted by our team, but only one showed up and even that was incorrect. I would have hoped the other 4 teams submitted corrections too, but who knows, I guess if it works to their advantage maybe they don't want to. Leaving corrections up to the teams might not be such a good idea.
Tsitshoh posted the official memo http://www.network54.com/Forum/262128/m ... ngs+System).

I noted the following sentence:

"This website will give us an additional tool to use to determine team ratings for provincial championships heading into the Ontario Lacrosse Festival. The site will save us significant time in evaluating team performance and offer features like team rankings, by age division, in each Zone."

That suggests to me that it will be used as a guideline for final rankings, along with other factors (probably preliminary ranking, request final ranking, traditional strength of centre, etc.). I certainly don't expect that they will look at the ratings and simply put the top 12 teams in "A", the next 16 in "B", etc.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:41 pm #5

Windsor, right?

I was wondering the same thing, because their SOS is notably lower than any other top 10 teams. It appears that there are only three teams (Oakville 2, Huntsville, and Shelburne) in the top 20 with weaker schedules. They have the third highest AGD in Peewee though (behind Oakville 2 and Huntsville), so that is clearly a factor.

It would be interesting to see how they'd actually fare against the other top 10 teams.
Yes Jim it is Windsor. They are in our zone and are good, but not that good! One of their fathers told me that they are in the Hamilton Super Series this coming weekend. They should use these games as good indicators!

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:56 pm #6

Based on this week's ratings, here are the predicted results for Windsor. It will be neat to see how the team actually does.

vs Owen Sound +6
vs St. Catharines even
vs Clarington -3

The nice thing about this format is that the larger the datapool, the more accurate the ratings will become. If Windsor gets their doors blow off by Clarington & St. Kitts, they will move down in the rankings, but other teams (especially London) would also see their ratings drop.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:53 am #7

I think you will see Windsor beat Own Sound easily this weekend and win a close game vs St Catherines and lose the Game to Clarington by a 8 - 4 score.

Windsor is good but I don't expect them to go "A" too much travel and too much money for them.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:50 pm #8

I hate the fact that money becomes the factor on deciding where a team should play. If a team falls into the top 13 they should be placed in A and are expected to compete at the Qualifiers. If money is an issue then they would have to remove themself from Provincial competition. You can say this is unfair but how fair is it placing a team that should be playing "A" down in "B" because the cost is to much. I am sure the Windsor AAA hockey parents wouldn't complain if it was the Ontario Hockey Championships.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:58 pm #9

I'm sure Windsor is a good team, I just doubt they are an A quality team. This weekend should be a good test for them and good for them to go into this tournament.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:47 am #10

Tsitshoh posted the official memo http://www.network54.com/Forum/262128/m ... ngs+System).

I noted the following sentence:

"This website will give us an additional tool to use to determine team ratings for provincial championships heading into the Ontario Lacrosse Festival. The site will save us significant time in evaluating team performance and offer features like team rankings, by age division, in each Zone."

That suggests to me that it will be used as a guideline for final rankings, along with other factors (probably preliminary ranking, request final ranking, traditional strength of centre, etc.). I certainly don't expect that they will look at the ratings and simply put the top 12 teams in "A", the next 16 in "B", etc.
You might find my comment at thread #28 interesting