Question For Referees - Offense Defense

Question For Referees - Offense Defense

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:06 pm #1

Could anyone specify if OD can be run at the Bantam level, or only Midget and up?

Thanks!

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:32 pm #2

Only Midget and up.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:48 pm #3

Also to clarify-

While Offense / Defence is only allowed as a strategy at the Midget level and above . . . . . In Bantam and below you are still allowed to use a set PP and PK and you can have a set draw line. For example - put 5 guys out off a draw - win the draw and then make a change.

Hope that helps.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:44 pm #4

This does help, thank you. I have also heard something about in Bantam and below not having anymore than 3 or 4 players change at once or it is considored OD. Would you know anything about this?

Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:02 am #5

No, there is no limit on how many can change at once in bantam.

They key thing is when they change.

Players have to play both ends of the floor.

For example, you have a line of 5 out there - they go up and play offence - then lose the ball - all five of them run back and play D - after regaining possession - 4 guys book it to the bench for the change, 1 guy waits with the ball - passes it off then complete the change - This is fine.

What would NOT be fine is if you have a line of 5 on the floor - they go up and play offence then the second you lose the ball you have all 5 guys book it to the bench and send 5 guys out the back door to play defence.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:50 pm #6

She:kon!

`What would NOT be fine is if you have a line of 5 on the floor - they go up and play offence then the second you lose the ball you have all 5 guys book it to the bench and send 5 guys out the back door to play defence. `

My understanding is that you can make a line change on defence.  So 5 players could run up the floor, play offence, then run to the bench to make a change on the defensive transition.  I believe I have seen a few teams do this, at least last year.

Could a referee clarify please?

I believe the difference here is not allowing a line to come on the floor for offence and then leave the floor on defensive transition.  However, I know a few clever coaches who can keep the lines moving and change some of the line on offensive transition and some others on the defensive transition.  Technically legal, but it must give the refs a headache!

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:25 pm #7

LOL I am a referee - maybe my example was not clear . . . Ill try again.

What I was trying to say in my example is if a coach has dedicated defence players coming out the back door on a loss of possession.

So Im my example I said " What would NOT be fine is if you have a line of 5 on the floor - they go up and play offence then the second you lose the ball you have all 5 guys book it to the bench and send 5 guys out the back door to play defence."

And Tsitshoh said "My understanding is that you can make a line change on defence. So 5 players could run up the floor, play offence, then run to the bench to make a change on the defensive transition. I believe I have seen a few teams do this, at least last year."

So im my example. Team A has the ball on offense- they lose the ball - All 5 guys run to the bench - the bench sends 5 guys out the back door to play D . . . . This is fine

Where it becomes illegal is when team A regains possession of the ball - if all 5 guys make a change this is not allowed because those 5 guys have ONLY played defence - they have not played at the offensive end of the floor.

The main thing to keep in mind is if it happens once or twice - it is most likley not a big deal. The whole point behind the rule is to catch the teams that are using dedicated offensive and defensive players who are only playing 1 end of the floor.

Like Tsitshoh said - good coaches know how to manipulate the system to get the guys they want on the floor.

Also - in say a Bantam A game there is enough going on to keep an eye on - it can be hard to babysit changes.

Does that help?

Sun May 01, 2011 1:44 pm #8

All it takes is "one" player during the play to continually play one or the other. It doesn"t need to be the whole line. A lot easier for a ref to watch.

Sun May 01, 2011 2:21 pm #9

good point. In trying to simplify my example, I forgot to mention it does not have to be a whole line. I used a whole line as I thought that was an easier example.

In a game you are more likely to see a team try and use 1 or 2 players playing one end of the floor.

However, I disagree somewhat with you. Personally, when I am reffing the times when a team makes a change of 4 or 5 guys - that is easy you can clearly see who is going on/off and keep track of it. I find it harder when it is just 1 guy changing

Tue May 10, 2011 4:05 pm #10

Could anyone specify if OD can be run at the Bantam level, or only Midget and up?

Thanks!
Why is no one questioning the validity of teaching O/D to minor-aged players? Or has this ship sailed?