Play Rep

Play Rep

Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:59 am #1

My son wants to play Rep. The center we live in only has one team and he has not made it the last 2 years. Can we go to a center that has more then one rep team at his age
(Novice)

Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:40 am #2

when he trys out for the team and does not make it, ask the league for a release. i would just convince your son to work harder, its a better accomplishment i think. but if not, ask for the release n go 2 the nearest centre

Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:06 am #3

Your home club can not deny your release request and try to keep your son in its House League. If he can't get a position on a Rep team in your club he can't be forced to stay and play at a lower level.

Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:05 pm #4

Id say keep him where he is with his friends. If he clearly dominates game in and game out in HL then start now and try the following. Theres a reason he hasnt made it the last two years. Find out from the coach what the reason was and work on those areas. It could be as simple as a timing issue. Although I dont know is it possible the first year your son tried out he was a major and not ready? The second year was he a minor with a large number of majors trying out? If so he would be a major again this year and a better chance of making the club.
Improve his skills. A local school wall is probably the best place to start, Check the internet for drills he can practice at home. Hiding the ball while looking over the shoulder into a full length mirror is a good one, Make sure hes in lacrosse shape. Its a lot different than hockey shape. Come January look for some pre season camps. Hopefully there is one close to your area.
If he still doesnt make it after the third try then maybe hes not cut out for it which isnt the end of the world.
If you son isnt good enough for his local team but is picked up by another association how good could that team be? You could be in for a long frustrating summer. Playing Rep is not the be all and end all that you might think. Playing the game at a skill level where he is more suited is much more important and will lead to more enjoyment and a longer lacrosse career.
Good luck which ever way you go.

Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:06 pm #5

when he trys out for the team and does not make it, ask the league for a release. i would just convince your son to work harder, its a better accomplishment i think. but if not, ask for the release n go 2 the nearest centre
didnt think that level of play was grounds for a release? If you cant get a release for a C team to play B or A why would you be allowed to play rep instead of house league. Is that not considered playing at a higher level and i thought the OLA was pretty clear that playing at a higher level is not grounds to grant a release??

just asking

Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:23 pm #6

The OLA only has power over not allowing releases from rep program to rep program I believe. The houseleague is the responsibility of the Minor Association, so it's their decision I think

Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:24 pm #7

didnt think that level of play was grounds for a release? If you cant get a release for a C team to play B or A why would you be allowed to play rep instead of house league. Is that not considered playing at a higher level and i thought the OLA was pretty clear that playing at a higher level is not grounds to grant a release??

just asking
You are thinking of MR3.07 which says "when a release is granted the caliber of play should not enter the decision." Under MR.3.03 "if a club ... has a number of players it cannot use on their teams, these players may, if released by the parent club, apply to the (OLA) Board of Directors for permission to play with the next closest town."

If 20 or so players try out for say 16 spots and that's all the club can offer, no club will force you to play HL if you could get a spot on a Rep team elsewhere. If they did and you appealed it to your Zone or ultimately the OLA you would get your release.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:53 pm #8

Id say keep him where he is with his friends. If he clearly dominates game in and game out in HL then start now and try the following. Theres a reason he hasnt made it the last two years. Find out from the coach what the reason was and work on those areas. It could be as simple as a timing issue. Although I dont know is it possible the first year your son tried out he was a major and not ready? The second year was he a minor with a large number of majors trying out? If so he would be a major again this year and a better chance of making the club.
Improve his skills. A local school wall is probably the best place to start, Check the internet for drills he can practice at home. Hiding the ball while looking over the shoulder into a full length mirror is a good one, Make sure hes in lacrosse shape. Its a lot different than hockey shape. Come January look for some pre season camps. Hopefully there is one close to your area.
If he still doesnt make it after the third try then maybe hes not cut out for it which isnt the end of the world.
If you son isnt good enough for his local team but is picked up by another association how good could that team be? You could be in for a long frustrating summer. Playing Rep is not the be all and end all that you might think. Playing the game at a skill level where he is more suited is much more important and will lead to more enjoyment and a longer lacrosse career.
Good luck which ever way you go.
These are all great suggestions. Patience is a virtue. But I had to chuckle at your comment, "maybe hes not cut out for it". As long as a kid is still trying, we should never say he's not cut out for it. Assessing talent is difficult ... esp at novice. Kids develop and many can surprise you after only one year of playing at a higher skill level (even for a worse team). I've seen lots surprise at Midget+. As long as it is the kid's desire, his dad should support him.

Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:27 am #9

he plays for the Mighty Ducks and his name is Adam Banks hahaha

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:45 am #10

just asking
The principle underlying MR3.07 is that all centres should develop to be the best they can be. If C and D Rep teams released their better players to A and B teams elsewhere the releasing centres would never get any better. HL is generally considered as recreational lacrosse. If players aspire to play at a higher level of competition they should be allowed to do that. If the worst HL player you ever saw wanted to play Rep but couldn't make it with his home club, he shouldn't be denied the opportunity to play at a higher level with another club if he could make it with them.