Peterborough Clarington Jr C 138 PIM

Peterborough Clarington Jr C 138 PIM

Sat May 07, 2011 6:21 pm #1

Looking at pointstreak, it looks like it was one heck of a game last night. Can anyone that was there share their thoughts.

http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/box ... id=1563744

Sat May 07, 2011 8:59 pm #2

I was not at the game. . . the only comment I can really make is that for the couple of players who fought in the opener - I hope it was worth it.

The Jr.C going back to the pilot rule of 3 fights and your done just doesn't make sense. (to me)

They have 15 regular season games left plus playoffs. 2 more fights and they are watching from the stands for the remainder of the year.

If a player fights 3 times in say 26 games (16 regular season + 10 playoffs) that is hardly "gooning it up" . . . just the product of tenacious lacrosse.

Stupid rule and it is going to bite teams in the @$$. If I am whitby or Clarington, I know who has 1 or 2 fights against them and target those players - use a depth player or an AP - fight them and they sit for the remainder of the season.

There are ways to eliminate goon lacrosse without this rule.

Sun May 08, 2011 6:57 pm #3

there is. sign players with operating brain cells.

Sun May 08, 2011 11:09 pm #4

n/m

Mon May 09, 2011 2:06 am #5

I was not at the game. . . the only comment I can really make is that for the couple of players who fought in the opener - I hope it was worth it.

The Jr.C going back to the pilot rule of 3 fights and your done just doesn't make sense. (to me)

They have 15 regular season games left plus playoffs. 2 more fights and they are watching from the stands for the remainder of the year.

If a player fights 3 times in say 26 games (16 regular season + 10 playoffs) that is hardly "gooning it up" . . . just the product of tenacious lacrosse.

Stupid rule and it is going to bite teams in the @$$. If I am whitby or Clarington, I know who has 1 or 2 fights against them and target those players - use a depth player or an AP - fight them and they sit for the remainder of the season.

LAXPRO - My curiousity got the better of me. Do tell? What would you propose as alternatives to what the Junior C Council did to prevent the "Goon League"?

Mon May 09, 2011 3:37 am #6

LAXPRO is the guy that goes to a boxing or wrestling match or an ultimate fighting event and would bitch like hell if a lacrosse game started but goes to a lacrosse game and bitches because one took place. You see, he was at the game licking his chops because he wanted to watch a fight,not a lacrosse game.

Mon May 09, 2011 12:28 pm #7

Clarington uses a 1st year Junior D guy, to take out Peterborough offensive guy who had four points already.

Mon May 09, 2011 8:34 pm #8

who was the guy they happened to use to take out there goal scorer..

Tue May 10, 2011 3:25 am #9

Clarington uses a 1st year Junior D guy, to take out Peterborough offensive guy who had four points already.
how far did he have to chase him around the floor? if you are dumb enough to get sucked in, don't whine when you have to serve the penalty. if you don't want to fight,keep your helmet and gloves on and go to the bench. pretty sure you won't be ejected there.

Tue May 10, 2011 3:29 am #10

LAXPRO - My curiousity got the better of me. Do tell? What would you propose as alternatives to what the Junior C Council did to prevent the "Goon League"?
Well that was somewhat rude chevy . . . you do not know me at all. I do not condone goon lacrosse. I do not go to a game to see fights. I was to watch fast breaks, nice goals, tough D, and the odd dust up. All of these are part of our great game.

Hal,

I would love to answer your question.

As I have said in the past I have some experience with this. I am involved with the OHA. A couple of years ago the OHA went to a similar rule of 3 fights and you are suspended with the suspension increasing with each fight. At 6 fights you were done for the year (over a 50 game season + playoffs). The rule was a total failure. It caused way more problems then good. Teams targeted better players who had multiple fights on the year. The players did not want to fight because they did not want a suspension - so they solved their dispute with nasty slashes and crosschecks (which are not suspend able in the OHA) Needless to say - the rule was scrapped.

I would propose 2 different solutions

1. Keep a fight at 5 min + Game Misconduct. Dot not accumulate them over the season. However, there would still be problems with teams sending out 'fighters' to fight skill guys to remove them from the game. Yet, it would get the 'goon out of the game.

2. The BETTER solution in my opinion is to line the rule up with the rest of junior/major lacrosse and leave it as a 5 min major penalty. BUT - enforce the rules. If there is an instigator - then call it an instigator. If there is an aggressor - then call the aggressor. Have the referees be diligent and consistent with applying these rules

Keep track of the Instigators and Aggressors. Put in place a system that works like this
1st offence (either instigator or aggressor) 2 games
2nd - 4 games
3rd - 6 games
4th - 8 games
and so on

Therefore you would still keep the spirited heat of the moment fight in the game- which almost all lacrosse fans love. Yet, on the other hand - players who "jump" "sucker" or do something that is goonish would be sitting. Would the odd stupid thing still happen? Yes , it is junior lacrosse. Just like Junior hockey men aged 17-21 can do some stupid things in the heat of the moment - but a 4 or 6 game suspension in a 15 game season might be a good deterrent.

Anyways- enough about fighting. The focus should be on how the Junior C league is thriving and some good lacrosse is being played. My original post was simply me noticing and pointing out that there were a lot of fights in the opening week and it will be interesting to see if those kids finish the entire season.