Passing of Ken Dixon

Passing of Ken Dixon

Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:36 pm #1

Mimico Lacrosse Mourns Passing of Lacrosse Great:

DIXON, Kenneth - Passed away suddenly on Saturday, June 25, 2011 in his 89th year. Retired 47 year employee of Anaconda Brass New Toronto. Member of Hall of Fame Mimico Lacrosse Ontario and Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame and Etobicoke Sports Hall of Fame. Former member of Mimico Mann Cup Champions 1942. Member of Ontario Oldtimers Lacrosse Association. Veteran Governor General's Horse Guards WWII. Beloved husband of Merle Lee for almost 65 years (longtime residents of Algoma Street, Etobicoke). Dearly loved father of Robert (Anne) of Newmarket, Randy (Laura) of Keswick and Rick (Mary Anne) of Milton. Loved grandfather of Jennifer, Laura, Steven, Paul, Mark, Michael, Shari, Emily and Jeremy. Great- grandfather to Kaden, Ty, Hannah, Saige, Abigail, Natasha and Londyn. Affectionately known to all as "Pop". Visitation will be held at the G.H. Hogle Funeral Homes Mimico Chapel, 63 Mimico Ave., Toronto, Ontario, on Tuesday from 2-4 and 7--9 p.m. A chapel service will be held on Wednesday, June 28, 2011 at 11 a.m. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Alzheimer Society of Canada. Interment to follow at Springcreek Cemetery, Mississauga. Condolences can be expressed online at hogle.ca

Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:13 pm #2

CLHOF member Ken Croft told me years ago:

"Kenny Dixon was one of the best. He was a very subtle type. He wasnt a very outgoing type of player, but the first thing you knew he had three goals against you. Where was he? You didnt even see him out there. Kenny Dixon was my idol. He was really good."

Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:57 pm #3

Ken Dixon was the 8th oldest player still living to have played Senior A lacrosse. To his credit he scored 568 regular season goals and 192 playoff goals for a total of 760 goals in his career, making him 15th overall all-time. Ken won two scoring titles in 1943 and 1949. He was predeseased by his brother Angus and both were inducted into the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame. He was also first cousin to Norm, Gord, Toad and Jack Gair with Norm Gord and Jck also being inducted into the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:46 pm #4

Hi Wamp, what a great guy, lacrosse and Hockey Star. I remember seeing Ken and Aarchie playing for the Mounties, when I was a youn kid. I also worked with both of them at Anaconda and they were both great mentors to me. My father in law, Lorne Brydson was also great friends with the Dixons and Gairs. Norm was our Coach and Mentor and 2nd father to most of us kids and coached us all the way through Mimico. Ken was very active on the Mountie Alumni Association in its early years... We've lost a lot of History in Mimico Lacrosse Circles...Cheers... Gerry Henderson

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:51 pm #5

Ken Dixon was the 8th oldest player still living to have played Senior A lacrosse. To his credit he scored 568 regular season goals and 192 playoff goals for a total of 760 goals in his career, making him 15th overall all-time. Ken won two scoring titles in 1943 and 1949. He was predeseased by his brother Angus and both were inducted into the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame. He was also first cousin to Norm, Gord, Toad and Jack Gair with Norm Gord and Jck also being inducted into the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame.
Hi Wamp, what a great guy, lacrosse and Hockey Star. I remember seeing Ken and Archie playing for the Mounties, when I was a youn kid. I also worked with both of them at Anaconda and they were both great mentors to me. My father in law, Lorne Brydson was also great friends with the Dixons and Gairs. Norm was our Coach and Mentor and 2nd father to most of us kids and coached us all the way through Mimico. Ken was very active on the Mountie Alumni Association in its early years... We've lost a lot of History in Mimico Lacrosse Circles...Cheers... Gerry Henderson