our game is suffering because..

This forum is now archived. Please post OLA Masters info in the Unofficial OLA Fan Forum.

our game is suffering because..

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:37 pm #1

It is clear to me what this game needs to solve 90 percent of its problems.

So much wacking, hacking, clutching and grabbing takes place inside of the "dotted line", because that is the only place you can score from. I can take it, and almost take pride in my sunday evening bruise and bump searches, but there is a way to minimize this.

Far less injuries would result and far less penalties if we introduce a crazy rule...bringing back the true skill of our game.......shooting the lacrosse ball from anywhere.

4 minute penalty if you hit someone, or a 2 minute and possesion, or a 2 minute and penalty shot.

I have played masters for 4 years now and still am unsure, as well as the referees, as to when I have this magical "clear lane" that they speak of. I just learned from a referee in owen sound that apparently a clear lane is required on a power play...

This will open up our game and I hope a lot of you push for this @ agm?!?!

Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:05 pm #2

couldn't agree more. This was talked about at length at the last AGM and seemed to have a lot of support. It was suggested, however that we leave the rules as is for this year because we were having a Nationals and we didn;t want to make any significant rule changes with all the Out of Province teams coming.
well that sure was a waste. It'll be changed next year. Hopefully

Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:30 pm #3

I couldn't agree more either. or another thing that would help stop the clutching and grabbing is to allow picks to be set ( non contact pick )
or here is another thing ( nothing to do with clutching and grabbing ) no 5 sec. rulle untill the ball is over half this will give both teams a chance to change as well it will open up some scoring opportunities for some quick long break passing.

Just a few more ideas to add to the overwhelming amount already on the table.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:37 pm #4

The key word is non contact though.

You can't set a non contact pick in the traditional sense... because the idea is to impede and create contact. I can't stop beside a defender and let my guy pop up, but I can run past and have my guy loop around.

For instance if I'm on the top left I can run down to the bottom lef and my guy can run from the bottom left to the top left. When we cross paths, I'm essentially cutting off his defender. As long as I am not running at the defender covering him, it's fine.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:21 am #5

couldn't agree more. This was talked about at length at the last AGM and seemed to have a lot of support. It was suggested, however that we leave the rules as is for this year because we were having a Nationals and we didn;t want to make any significant rule changes with all the Out of Province teams coming.
well that sure was a waste. It'll be changed next year. Hopefully
holy crap lets not just talk how all the rule changes would affect the out of province teams , what about all the teams coming from other countries, think of how it would effect them isnt there like 3 or 4 teams coming from other countries in Jr alone. made that extra 200 from 13 Jr teams well worth it

Ray

Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:23 am #6

The key word is non contact though.

You can't set a non contact pick in the traditional sense... because the idea is to impede and create contact. I can't stop beside a defender and let my guy pop up, but I can run past and have my guy loop around.

For instance if I'm on the top left I can run down to the bottom lef and my guy can run from the bottom left to the top left. When we cross paths, I'm essentially cutting off his defender. As long as I am not running at the defender covering him, it's fine.
Derek i know you are not talking about your self because in your message you said " Run Past " nuff said

Ray

Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:54 pm #7

Don't make me score on you Ray... you don't want to be on that short list.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:40 am #8

I couldn't agree more either. or another thing that would help stop the clutching and grabbing is to allow picks to be set ( non contact pick )
or here is another thing ( nothing to do with clutching and grabbing ) no 5 sec. rulle untill the ball is over half this will give both teams a chance to change as well it will open up some scoring opportunities for some quick long break passing.

You cant have this rule without putting in a minimum time to get over center, as teams
will kill the clock in their own end simply by having one player hold the ball for 30 secs.
But it is workable.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:58 pm #9

In my opinion the 5 second rule only needs one change. If I pick off a pass in my defensive zone and beat your top guy, that only leaves me with like 4 seconds to run down and shoot on ur goalie. In these situations usually a stupid shot is taken, or reffy blows the whistle right after the shot...

If you beat a man and maintain forward progress to the net, get rid of the 5 second in that situation.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:59 am #10

It is clear to me what this game needs to solve 90 percent of its problems.

So much wacking, hacking, clutching and grabbing takes place inside of the "dotted line", because that is the only place you can score from. I can take it, and almost take pride in my sunday evening bruise and bump searches, but there is a way to minimize this.

Far less injuries would result and far less penalties if we introduce a crazy rule...bringing back the true skill of our game.......shooting the lacrosse ball from anywhere.

4 minute penalty if you hit someone, or a 2 minute and possesion, or a 2 minute and penalty shot.

I have played masters for 4 years now and still am unsure, as well as the referees, as to when I have this magical "clear lane" that they speak of. I just learned from a referee in owen sound that apparently a clear lane is required on a power play...

This will open up our game and I hope a lot of you push for this @ agm?!?!
I have to agree with the original message and thoughts , as i have played senior for many yrs and still struggle with the so called Clear Lane .I like the idea of being able to take a responsible shot at net from anywhere on the floor. From my past experiences the real problems start when you cross that 24 ft line and teams immediately collapse into the outlawed ZONE defence.This is where the most serious contact takes place and the chance of hitting someone with the ball Greatly increases.If we could shoot from anywhere, fully aware that there will be a penalty of some kind if you hit someone ,then defences wont have the time to collapse in front of thier goalie.The great debate here would be What should the penalty be for hitting another player with the Ball..?