Orangeville/Six Nations

Orangeville/Six Nations

Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:52 am #1

Well, its all set.
What does everybody think about this series.
My Prediction, Orangeville in 5.
Going to see some excellent lax.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:32 am #2

Tough to call. I know I'll be seeing all the games in Six Nations -- body can't handle heat like it used to so I look forward to reading about the games in Orangeville on here! Both teams have guys who can score goals, they're solid defensively and goaltending is top notch. Orangeville almost seemed on cruise control many nights when I saw them. I'm not sure how to interpret that. It could be tough to find that extra gear, or it could mean they're that much better yet when they need to turn it up. Six Nations, on the other hand, was more than alert after a crazy series with Akwesasne, and seemed in control against Whitby. The defensive intensity has stepped up from an already strong regular season defence, and the offence can play with anyone.

Prediction: I'm calling the mild upset. Arrows in six.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:04 am #3

wow just saw this on nll insider, rivalry is in full effect. was this last year playoffs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCWQTMEe8w4

orangeville in 6

Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:01 am #4

i said arrows in 4 against whitby and i had burlington in 6. right in 1 and very wrong in the other. i will take arrows in 6. arrows cannot let it go to 7. good luck to both teams, going to be a good series

Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:09 am #5

Like everyone else I havn't a clue but I'm thinking OVA in six because it's what I'd like to see. I'm going to try to see it in both arenas but you're right about the bunnybarn being an oven. I think all the players deserve credit for being able to play in that heat while we tough fans cry about it up in the stands.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:35 pm #6

going to take all bets, 5-1 starting at 20 haha.... come on Six Nations make me some money...

Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:09 pm #7

Like everyone else I havn't a clue but I'm thinking OVA in six because it's what I'd like to see. I'm going to try to see it in both arenas but you're right about the bunnybarn being an oven. I think all the players deserve credit for being able to play in that heat while we tough fans cry about it up in the stands.
I honestly have no clue how the players do it, especially in all that gear. Unbelievable! I don't mind cold too much, you can always put on another layer, and growing up in 40 below temperatures conditioned me I suppose. But I struggle with heat, and when the room starts spinning and you can't breathe right, it gets scary. Afterthat experience in Orangeville, I realize my body isn't cut out for that arena. I hate to miss the games, but everyone's tolerance is different and for me, it gets life threatening in there. I was in Minnesota when Korey Stringer died of heat stroke. It was very hot and muggy lIke this summer has been, but not as hot as game seven of the final last year in Orangeville, so the combination of extreme heat and a lacrosse game always makes me edgy. The difference, of course, is the build of the players, much slighter n lacrosse. But it's something teams need to be aware of in Orangeville -- the signs of heat stroke.

Ironically, the tremendous support in Orangeville contributes to the problem. But kudos to the fans who show up in the heat -- you have to think with a modern, air conditioned arena, there's be 3,000 per game!

Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:49 pm #8

Enough!! Yes - TR is hot in summer. Yes - sometimes uncomfortably so. However your expectation that Orangeville is going to get an air conditioned arena is simply unrealistic. A few years ago the Alder Street Complex was erected for approx $18 million. The Jr A Northmen played there for a year but then moved back to the barn. Alder has lousy site lines, a strong glare from windows on one side of the building, benches in front of the stands, & it was away from old Orangeville - lacrosse's traditional base - & it cut down on people walking to the games. We now have 4 ice surfaces (or floors) in town & a 5th ice surface just south of town (Teen Ranch). With a population of 30,000 we're not going to spend any more money on a new building - & probably no more on significant upgrades.

A great deal of money has been spent the barn this year & I'm the first person to say that too much has been spent on a "nice" lobby & not enough on the players' needs. I too like going to other arenas like ILA, however I was at Central in Burlington last Friday when it was hotter than anything I've ever experienced in the barn (& yes I was at game 7 last year in the 2nd row from the top). There was so much sweat coming out of the players feet at Central the other night, that puddles formed simply by walking around. I was in Huron Park a few weeks ago when it was so hot & the floor was so bad when the N'men played the Tomahawks that the refs decided to go with run time in the 3rd period & with 6 or 7 minutes left they called the game. Even when the N'men played at the modern air conditioned Powerade Centre, the game was called with 7 minutes left in the 3rd when a massive puddle formed in the corner.

Don't want to come to the barn? Fine - 1500 others from around the province will probably take your place with water bottles & freezies in hand. And then we'll be off to the ILA for a helluva series.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:41 am #9

Lacrosse is played indoors during the summer in arenas that are hot. That's the way it is. I agree with Highcountry's assessment of the arenas he mentioned - they're HOT. It wasn't his intent to create a list but he only scratched the surface. There are plenty of other Jr. / Sr. arenas that are hot - Vipond, Mimico, Elora, Merriton, Ajax, Mount Joy, Ted Reeve, Mayfield, Burgoyne, Victoria Road, Clearwater and so on. These are arenas that Major teams play in. There are LOTS of Minor arenas that are easily as hot or hotter. Many of those arenas replaced old wooden barns that were even hotter. Some of them were probably built because people complained about how cold they were in the winter. There aren't many municiplaities that consult with their user groups when they build new facilities. We, and other sports, get what they give us.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:26 pm #10

I didn't say I expected Orangeville to build a new rink. I stated I personally can't go there (it's not a don't want to) after getting heat stroke there last year. Scariest thing I've been through. And I do worry about players' safety.

Look, I'm on your side here! I'd love to see a proper home for lacrosse in Orangeville. Why not at least try to start a campaign to retrofit Tony Rose with air conditioning? Doesn't have to be top of the line at all. Put a vent in and cut holes in it like several other buildings -- it's cheaper that way. ILA basically does this. Try to get some federal funding money. Why wasn't this done instead of a glitzy new lobby? I don't get it.

Honestly, the heat of summer lacrosse buildings is the biggest reason I hear people won't go. Old people, kids, those with illness, it's simply not safe. Heat kills more people in the US each year than tornadoes, hurricanes, etc., and most die in overheated buildings. Our climate herein summer is the same as the hotter US areas (Midwest, South, Great Lakes), I'm genuinely concerned. One death due to heat stroke would be a tragedy and ensuing lawsuits could cripple the Northmen program. This is serious stuff, it concerns me greatly.

And yes, Burlington is too hot too, but I've never seen it at Orangeville levels. Maybe I'm lucky.