Oh well

Oh well

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:18 pm #1

I knew my son didn't deserve that GM.

I'm sharing this for all the other parents that are confused about this new rule.

http://bit.ly/jYJos3

Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:49 pm #2

Thanks for posting this. Not alot of people were aware of this new rule this year. I hope this helps spread the word.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:46 pm #3

I knew my son didn't deserve that GM.

I'm sharing this for all the other parents that are confused about this new rule.

http://bit.ly/jYJos3
The whole problem is that this has always been a rule, just a minor penalty was assessed, but the refs didn't call it, or not enough. So someone with clout has there son get possibly laid out and he feels that this rule needs to be enforced. So because this rule wasn't enforced the league comes in and administers a stiffer penalty. So what if the refs don't make call it, what next?
On another note, I feel the league has a more dire issue to deal with. In this day and age of concussions and post concussion concerns, why is it that the CL A and the OLA hasn't stepped up to address this issue? I have seen quite a few games this year and I can't believe the amount of high sticking calls are not called or if they are only a minor penalty is assessed. I have also seen enough times that a player is tackled/grab by the neck/head and no call. This has happened right in front of the ref, and they player gets dragged or dropped to the ground as if he was going to be tied up like a steer. These are just my thoughts, anybody else think the same?

Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:09 pm #4

Laxdaddy,

I couldn't agree with you more about the high sticks and head shots. These were closely called before cages, automatic penalty even if a check slipped up off a shoulder. But since cages came in it seems that the head is almost no different than a shoulder. They need to get back to the old way of calling it.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:36 pm #5

referees are supposed to call a "head shot" if the stick slips up off the shoulder minor penalty if the stick strikes the head first automatic five mins. and possible game.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:37 am #6

roybee,

that is the way I remember it being called. Are you saying that you were told this recently or 'back in the day'?

Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:58 am #7

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:00 pm #8

Thanks, let's hope that they do call it that way. It needs to start at the youngest ages.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:16 pm #9

The whole problem is that this has always been a rule, just a minor penalty was assessed, but the refs didn't call it, or not enough. So someone with clout has there son get possibly laid out and he feels that this rule needs to be enforced. So because this rule wasn't enforced the league comes in and administers a stiffer penalty. So what if the refs don't make call it, what next?
On another note, I feel the league has a more dire issue to deal with. In this day and age of concussions and post concussion concerns, why is it that the CL A and the OLA hasn't stepped up to address this issue? I have seen quite a few games this year and I can't believe the amount of high sticking calls are not called or if they are only a minor penalty is assessed. I have also seen enough times that a player is tackled/grab by the neck/head and no call. This has happened right in front of the ref, and they player gets dragged or dropped to the ground as if he was going to be tied up like a steer. These are just my thoughts, anybody else think the same?
Does anyone have any statistics on the number of concusions that occur in lacrosse? I'm not trying to stir the pot, I'm just curious. I have coached for a quite a few years from Tyke to Jr. and I've only had one of my players get a concussion. I know they happen and I take them seriously. I have always had at least one certified trainer on the bench and have been one myself at times. We talk with the players about the issue and obviously observe what goes on during a game. We usually error on the side of caution ... when in doubt... get checked out. Parents are generally tuned into this and we tell them to let us know if they suspect anything or better yet go straight to the hospital. I honestly haven't seen that many.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:15 pm #10

I don't think there has been any real attempt to track concussions so I would doubt there are any meaningful stats.

Further, I have coached and also been a trainer in both hockey and lacrosse. I have had players that I know had a concussion in lacrosse but without a defined protocol, I could not keep the kid off the floor because Mom and/or Dad (usually Dad) did not think it was serious and wanted "Johnny" to play. My wife deals with head injuries all the time and I don't believe that trainers are close to being qualified to diagnose even a minor concussion.

Lacrosse needs to put a defined set of rules for return to play so that the trainer/coach can protect the player even if the parents are not prepared to. I don't think parents have yet caught up to the whole concussion issue yet. The rules of the game certainly have not. What would now be called a head check in minor hockey might not even garner a call in lacrosse.

The CLA and OLA need to be proactive in this rather than waiting (again) until a serious injury takes place.

Just my two cents!