Any thoughts on the novice division A through E

Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:40 pm #2

I posted these predictions when the groups first came out:

A: Peterborough
B: Whitby
C: Shelburne
D: West Durham
E: Barrie

I'm waffling on the "B" pick. Huntsville in particular seems to have Whitby 2's number this year, and there are several teams with a strong chance in the group.

I'm most confident in the Shelburne pick - I really don't understand how they slipped down to "C". They appear to have dominated any "C" competition, beat Orillia, and have hung with Huntsville.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:53 pm #3

I agree with your picks Jim. I would pick all of them too. Of course I'll be chearing for our boys (Orillia) in B which Barrie could also win, and Shelly should clean house in 'C'. It will be interesting to see when and where the upsets happen

Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:10 pm #4

Hi, Mike.

I was very impressed with your team on Tuesday night. I don't know what you've got in the water up there, but two of your kids are absolute MONSTERS - and talented monsters to boot. That's not a slight against the rest of your kids - there's a nice blend of speed, passing ability, and defense there. I can't comment on your goalie because, frankly, our kids didn't force him to make any tough saves.

I agree that Barrie 1 could go very deep in the tournament (and possibly win). They started the season a bit slowly, but seem to have found their groove of late. I watched some of their games in the Barrie tournament and their first line compares with that of any "A" team out there. Their power play is absolutely text book - I was amazed that 9 & 10 years could be so disciplined and methodical - really impressive stuff. What's interesting about Barrie 1 is that their best players are mostly Minors and the smaller Majors - whereas its the big guys who lead Orillia, Huntsville, and Shelburne.

There should be some excellent lacrosse in "B" next weekend. Of course, the big upset will be when #75 (out of 76) ranked Barrie 2 wins E!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:52 pm #5

I posted these predictions when the groups first came out:

A: Peterborough
B: Whitby
C: Shelburne
D: West Durham
E: Barrie

I'm waffling on the "B" pick. Huntsville in particular seems to have Whitby 2's number this year, and there are several teams with a strong chance in the group.

I'm most confident in the Shelburne pick - I really don't understand how they slipped down to "C". They appear to have dominated any "C" competition, beat Orillia, and have hung with Huntsville.
St Kitts 2 will win E hands down. They could have been competitive in C. Have seen Barrie 2 play
and it would be a major stretch for them to win E. All the best to all teams. I find it funny
how everyone seems to think Shelburne will win C a cakewalk. Played them as well and they are
a two player team.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:02 pm #6

...but those two kids are awesome. Our team was in Novice C last year and Shelburne is much better than any of the C teams that we faced in 2009.

As for Barrie 2 - that's just homerism on my part. Our 1-15 record certainly doesn't make us favourites to win it all! I do think that the boys will be very competitive, though, playing teams at that level.

Do bet the farm on Barrie 2 beating Innisfil tonight, though!

Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:30 pm #7

Hi, Mike.

I was very impressed with your team on Tuesday night. I don't know what you've got in the water up there, but two of your kids are absolute MONSTERS - and talented monsters to boot. That's not a slight against the rest of your kids - there's a nice blend of speed, passing ability, and defense there. I can't comment on your goalie because, frankly, our kids didn't force him to make any tough saves.

I agree that Barrie 1 could go very deep in the tournament (and possibly win). They started the season a bit slowly, but seem to have found their groove of late. I watched some of their games in the Barrie tournament and their first line compares with that of any "A" team out there. Their power play is absolutely text book - I was amazed that 9 & 10 years could be so disciplined and methodical - really impressive stuff. What's interesting about Barrie 1 is that their best players are mostly Minors and the smaller Majors - whereas its the big guys who lead Orillia, Huntsville, and Shelburne.

There should be some excellent lacrosse in "B" next weekend. Of course, the big upset will be when #75 (out of 76) ranked Barrie 2 wins E!!!!!!!
I hope that upset does happen! I will be chearing for our zone 4 teams all weekend too.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:36 pm #8

...but those two kids are awesome. Our team was in Novice C last year and Shelburne is much better than any of the C teams that we faced in 2009.

As for Barrie 2 - that's just homerism on my part. Our 1-15 record certainly doesn't make us favourites to win it all! I do think that the boys will be very competitive, though, playing teams at that level.

Do bet the farm on Barrie 2 beating Innisfil tonight, though!
As long as your guys are having fun..I agree Shelburne great player and good goalie we played them
without ever seeing them and other than a 5 minute meltdown was an even game. We will try to contain their big forward. We only have a little more than a week to go before we play them again.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:06 pm #9

fb - Where are you guys from?

I like Shelburne in "C" because its a level (at least in my experience) where a couple of elite players can still win games on their own (especially if one of those players is your goalie). There's a second forward on Shelburne who is also very good, so you can't just shut down one guy and hope for the best. Penalties could be a problem for their big forward, though, especially if a team is able to keep a tenacious kid on him for long stretches. He obviously can't score from the box!

The morale on our team has stayed generally high despite an unfortunate schedule (10 of 16 games against "B" teams). Its a good locker room - the boys all get along and we've seen a solid improvement in the basic skills / game understanding of our newer players. One of the bright spots in our game against Orillia was the play of the kids near the bottom of the roster (skill/experience wise). You could see that they were trying (even if not succeeding) to follow what they've been taught in practice. One boy in particular finally put it together - landing a big hit and making some nice passes. It was really encouraging to see how excited he was in the locker room afterwards (because he knew that he had played well) and how proud his Dad was of him.

We've only had three games at our level (Newmarket 2, West Durham, and Innisfil) all year and they were each about three weeks apart, so its hard to get a sense of what this team can do. I do think that a strong showing against Innisfil tonight will bode well for next weekend. St. Catharines and Welland, though, really do have to be considered the heavyweights in the division. Regardless of wins, I think the boys will just enjoy playing teams that they can legitimately compete against. As the folks in Innisfil have been fond of saying, though, never count out the underdogs!!!

Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:31 pm #10

Hi, Mike.

Barrie II WILL NOT beat the Wolfpack tonight!! LOL