No rule stating Novice goalies have to wear CAT1 gear

No rule stating Novice goalies have to wear CAT1 gear

Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:40 am #1

There is no rule or memo or reference to anything in CLA or OLA rule books stating Novice goalies cannot wear CAT2 gear. So waht exactely will the referee's be calling and what will the reference in a rulebook when it's challenged.

Did a BODDAM sales rep start this or is there anything in lacrosse rules anywhere that says a Novice goalie cannot wear CAT2 goalie gear?

Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but I am trying to find a solution to a problem but I can't even find the rule listed anywhere

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:52 am #2

She:kon!

The rulebook makes mention - Rule 12  - that goalkeeper equipment "shall be <em>approved</em>."   The actual approved specifications are laid out in Appendix A.

The standards are laid out in the CLA technical bulletin memos located here.  See the 'IMPORTANT NOTES' section at the very bottom. 

What the bulletin doesn't specify, and something I was asking about - and Intfan also mentioned -  was the memo does not specify WHO can customize the equipment even though the rulebook states that the OLA approves materials, etc.  So if a player were to wear a slash guard that extended down the arm and under the collar of the glove is that illegal?

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:49 pm #3

There is no rule or memo or reference to anything in CLA or OLA rule books stating Novice goalies cannot wear CAT2 gear. So waht exactely will the referee's be calling and what will the reference in a rulebook when it's challenged.

Did a BODDAM sales rep start this or is there anything in lacrosse rules anywhere that says a Novice goalie cannot wear CAT2 goalie gear?

Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but I am trying to find a solution to a problem but I can't even find the rule listed anywhere
The refs don't call goalie equipment.The other team does and risks a penalty in doing so.If the equipment fits no one will call it.It you are dressing a minor goalie in equipment that is too big you are putting them at risk of injury and they become a fixed plug in net instead of a goalie because they cannot move.

As a side note refs will not be measuring goalies before Jr games this year.

Sat May 05, 2012 4:35 pm #4

my son's an 8 yr old, 5' tall novice goalie and fits perfectly into Cat 2 pads and chest protectors. His old
Cat 1 chest protector leaves his forearm exposed above his glove.
He was just penalized a few days ago for wearing a Cat 2 even though the ref agreed that it fit perfectly. I'm going to have to get his Cat 1 modified to fit him now and the odd thing is that Boddam tells me it will be the exact same size as the Cat 2 but they'll have to reduce the arm padding in the Cat 1 to get the elbows to meet the specs.
So because of this Rule, he'll have to have less padding on his arms or not play in net.
I guess there'll be more time for spring hockey now...

Sat May 05, 2012 6:20 pm #5

it start off it is unfortuite that the young goalie got hurt becouse of sizing but when read all the comments on this topic i don't think many people undersatnd the rules on goalie equipment sizing

the numbers on two and three that you see on the boddam pads don't mean you can only use pads that have that number it means that boddam has desighed those pads to meet the cla and ola specifacations. there is no rule saying that you have to wear there gear but most people do becouse its the best goalie equipment on the market. if your kkid dosnt fit into it then you can go find somthing that they do fit in. if your going to let your kid play sports on any kind at a young age it should be the parents responcability to make sure that your child is protected well to keep them safe. i started coaching a few years ago and becouse i play goal i worked alot with the goalies and the one thing i told them all the time is let me know if you get hurt so i can fix it. last year the goalie i was working with had a similer problem with the arm pads not covering his whole arms so i took a pair ofarm pads of some old hockey goalie pads i had lieing around at home and put them on his lacrosse pads they were long enough to cover his wrists and they still met the proper size that they needed to be. the sizing rules don't say anything about leagth only about with and hight so if your child is getting hurt its no one fault but your own for not having him in the proper equipment

now i know some of you will think that i am worng or stupid if so please before you reply to this go and read the the rule books sizing chart and tell me where the lenght is specified you can find the chart in the rule book from page 116 to 119 or copy and paste the link here

http://cla.pointstreaksites.com/files/u ... cted_2.pdf

Sat May 05, 2012 7:38 pm #6

I wouldn't call you stupid, but I was told the numbers reflected the level of play and size that they were built for. I would think there's some adults whose physical size would allow them to wear gear with a 2 sewn into it. Women more so than men, but still adults. I believe the CLA certifies companies so Brown for example which makes box gear is illegal. Not because it's not safe, but rather that he's not paid the fees they charge for franchising. I believe Boddam and STX whose gear is not as "wide" in coverage are the two main brands that they do approve of. Anyone reading this, if you know people who have the all black cloth/plastic Boddam Provent legs, XL and up that they want to get rid of since those too are illegal for play, I'll listen to their offer.

Sat May 05, 2012 7:55 pm #7

it start off it is unfortuite that the young goalie got hurt becouse of sizing but when read all the comments on this topic i don't think many people undersatnd the rules on goalie equipment sizing

the numbers on two and three that you see on the boddam pads don't mean you can only use pads that have that number it means that boddam has desighed those pads to meet the cla and ola specifacations. there is no rule saying that you have to wear there gear but most people do becouse its the best goalie equipment on the market. if your kkid dosnt fit into it then you can go find somthing that they do fit in. if your going to let your kid play sports on any kind at a young age it should be the parents responcability to make sure that your child is protected well to keep them safe. i started coaching a few years ago and becouse i play goal i worked alot with the goalies and the one thing i told them all the time is let me know if you get hurt so i can fix it. last year the goalie i was working with had a similer problem with the arm pads not covering his whole arms so i took a pair ofarm pads of some old hockey goalie pads i had lieing around at home and put them on his lacrosse pads they were long enough to cover his wrists and they still met the proper size that they needed to be. the sizing rules don't say anything about leagth only about with and hight so if your child is getting hurt its no one fault but your own for not having him in the proper equipment

now i know some of you will think that i am worng or stupid if so please before you reply to this go and read the the rule books sizing chart and tell me where the lenght is specified you can find the chart in the rule book from page 116 to 119 or copy and paste the link here

http://cla.pointstreaksites.com/files/u ... cted_2.pdf
Hi Mark,
thanks very much for your comment. I stink at this messaging stuff so if your comment was not in reply to mine, then I apologize. If it was, I just wanted to clarify that the arm length adjustment wasn't a problem for us as you're right, neither the Rule nor the sizing specifications refer to length. The challenge that I and Boddam have is that given the size of my son's elbow, even in the Cat 1 chest protector, he exceeded the 6"width and 20" circumference requirement, So to comply with the rule, they we have to remove padding from the elbow pad area. I can't think of any reasonable parent who would agree to that, particular given the exceptional talent in the Novice Box Rep program and the risk of serious injury.
Sorry for the long-winded explanation bu I just wanted to be clear.
As the father of a young athlete (and as the president of a provincial sport organization that governs a contact sport), safety is always my first concern. I have opened a line of communication with the OLA and I know that they are fully aware of this issue and its potential repercussions and am confident they will work towards a fair resolution.

I'm sure with all of the conscientious, intelligent and fair people in our lax community, we can find a solution that's fair to all of the boys.

If you have a suggestion that would help solve my problem in the interim, I would be most grateful for your help.
Take care.

Sun May 06, 2012 6:57 am #8

I wouldn't call you stupid, but I was told the numbers reflected the level of play and size that they were built for. I would think there's some adults whose physical size would allow them to wear gear with a 2 sewn into it. Women more so than men, but still adults. I believe the CLA certifies companies so Brown for example which makes box gear is illegal. Not because it's not safe, but rather that he's not paid the fees they charge for franchising. I believe Boddam and STX whose gear is not as "wide" in coverage are the two main brands that they do approve of. Anyone reading this, if you know people who have the all black cloth/plastic Boddam Provent legs, XL and up that they want to get rid of since those too are illegal for play, I'll listen to their offer.
the refs can't stop you from wearing gear that is made from other companys like brown as long as you still fall under the leagle sizing

Sun May 06, 2012 6:58 am #9

Hi Mark,
thanks very much for your comment. I stink at this messaging stuff so if your comment was not in reply to mine, then I apologize. If it was, I just wanted to clarify that the arm length adjustment wasn't a problem for us as you're right, neither the Rule nor the sizing specifications refer to length. The challenge that I and Boddam have is that given the size of my son's elbow, even in the Cat 1 chest protector, he exceeded the 6"width and 20" circumference requirement, So to comply with the rule, they we have to remove padding from the elbow pad area. I can't think of any reasonable parent who would agree to that, particular given the exceptional talent in the Novice Box Rep program and the risk of serious injury.
Sorry for the long-winded explanation bu I just wanted to be clear.
As the father of a young athlete (and as the president of a provincial sport organization that governs a contact sport), safety is always my first concern. I have opened a line of communication with the OLA and I know that they are fully aware of this issue and its potential repercussions and am confident they will work towards a fair resolution.

I'm sure with all of the conscientious, intelligent and fair people in our lax community, we can find a solution that's fair to all of the boys.

If you have a suggestion that would help solve my problem in the interim, I would be most grateful for your help.
Take care.
my comment was on the topic in general not specificly to you

Sun May 06, 2012 7:05 am #10

for the younger kids though they should go back to the old rule where the pads had to be form fitting and had to follow the bodys nateral shape. if i were the one to make the decisions i wouldnt start the sizing rules until peewee becouse by then most kids have gone through a major groth period and are starting to even out in size.(i know there will be some exeptiond still) that way no one has to worrie about getting hurt and young goalies don't get discuraged from playing the position.