NLL to honour Iroquois Nationals at halftime

NLL to honour Iroquois Nationals at halftime

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:32 pm #1

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:18 am #2

Ticket sales are slow, so you come up with an idea to draw people in the area. The USA team that won the gold in Manchester ought to be honoured by the NLL, maybe even the Canadian team or both (God know most of those players are also in the NLL), but in that area, they would not draw. So, you hit an emotional chord and and angle, and hopefully that draws the native interest in the area. Transparent, but likely effective and good business, though the press release from the NLL was not quite accurate.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:22 am #3

Okay, you can't just throw out as your parting shot that the press release wasn't accurate. What about it are you saying was incorrect? I've just gone back and read it a couple more times and I'm having a hard time figuring out to what you are referring.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:17 am #4

The release states that they were "denied competition" and that is not correct. As I understand what unfolded, they were always welcome to compete and in fact the FIL juggled schedules to accommodate them if they were able to get their travel issues worked out or choose to travel on their existing U.S. or Canadian passports. The impression given, hopefully inadvertent, is that the lacrosse powers that be ,(FIL), prevented the Iroquois from competing, and we all know that was not the case.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:08 pm #5

The previous paragraph is:

This past July, the 2010 Iroquois Nationals lacrosse team comprised of 23 Native American premiere athletes was not allowed to travel to the Lacrosse World Championships using their Native American Haudenosaunee Passports.

Then it states they were denied competition in the next paragraph, referring back to their previous statement about not being able to go because of the travel issues. I'm quite sure it isn't accusing FIL of anything. You're 100% correct that FIL did everything they could to accommodate the Iroquois.

The Iroquois said on Wednesday that they will be issuing a press release, hopefully at the ASG, about this year's travel issues, and they sounded quite optimistic, so hopefully that means things are getting sorted out.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:58 pm #6

Very cool...nice seeing some coverage for this. Nice tip of the cap to the roots of the game, too. Nice story around the Haudenosaunee national pride, too. Good on 'em.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:10 pm #7

any information as to what the attendance eventually was at the all-star game, initial media reports are mum on that?