Nickel City Shootout (highs and lows)

Nickel City Shootout (highs and lows)

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:09 am #1

I want to take the opportunity to thank Sudbury for putting on their tournament again this year. As a lacrosse fan for 20+ it was nice to get out and see some quality games between some talented teams.

I'd like to congratulate Sudbury's tyke and novice teams for winning their divisions as well as six nations for taking intermediate, innisfil in bantam and orangeville in midget.

I was able to take in a number of games and I must say I was impressed for the most part except for two glaring issues that in my opinion dampened the spirit of the weekend.

One would be after the six nations/nepean intermediate game that resulted in some property damage to the arena. Regardless of the intensity and hard feelings on the floor you should never desecrate public property. When the game is over leave it on the floor.

The other would be the actions of players from the orangeville midget team. More specifically their assistant captains.

There is no doubt that orangeville is always able to field a talented team and in my opinion they were the odds on favourite to take their division before the tournament began, but it is impossible to respect the way they play thanks to these select few.

Having seen a few of their games I noticed the same pattern in their game play. First, they had the talent and ball control skills to walk away with the game, then they either disagreed with a call or in the case of the championship game faced some adversity with Sudbury taking the lead and as a result their assistant captains started to whine and moan at every call that didn't go their way thus focusing more on the refs and antagonizing other players into trying to take penalties forgetting there was a game going on. This resulted in the games being a lot closer than they should have been. (I don't lump the captain in here as i never saw him once talk to the referees)

The worst offender of this was number 27. He plays in a very dirty game giving slashes long after the ball is gone and questioning every call minor or major that the refs made against orangeville. (He also has the stupidest running ability I've ever seen)

I admire the refs patience with this player and the other a's. I wouldn't have lasted as long without giving him/them at least a minor for unsportsmanlike conduct.

As a representative for your team (usually selected by teammates) I would have expected a hell of a lot more class than number 27 and the other 2 assistants showed. It's unfortunate that these are the players that orangeville has selected to represent the values of the team by putting letters on their chest.

Again, I don't want to lump the whole team in as I am sure there are a number of good hardworking kids and I give them credit for their performance in the tourney, but it's a damn shame that these few ruin what could be a great team. If we get players like that out of the game province wide, in my opinion games would be much more entertaining to watch. I do however give the coach some credit, while he was not always able to maintain an even temper he did his best to keep his players in check during the championship game.

I could move on to the disappointment in the comments made by some of the parents, but let's face it that is commonplace in any sport where people have no idea what the rules are.

Finally, in regards to players, I'd like to give credit to the sudbury midgets. They made that championship a whole lot more interesting than i thought it would be. Congrats on a good showing boys.

As for the officiating, while I may not have agreed with all the calls I think the majority of the officials did a hell of a job. My favourite call of the tournament had to be in the orangeville/Brantford shootout and the ref on the crease called back the first shot from brantford that went in due to the ball coming off the post, hitting the goalie and going back into the net. It's a tough call to make in that scenario and the Brantford coach nearly lost his mind with the call but I give that ref credit for explaining it to the shooter, goalie and then the bench. Kudos to him.

Again thanks sudbury for a great weekend of lax watching.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:59 am #2

On behalf of Thunder Bay I would like to thank Sudbury for a very well organized tournament. We had a blast! Ok the refs weren't the best in my opinion. We reviewed the video (we made) and one goal was well after the period ended in our first game. The player still had the ball in his stick as the buzzer went, and our goalie stood up out of his crouch. Mistakes happen and we move on. We had fun, we learned and we bonded. What more could we ask for?

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:17 am #3

I want to take the opportunity to thank Sudbury for putting on their tournament again this year. As a lacrosse fan for 20+ it was nice to get out and see some quality games between some talented teams.

I'd like to congratulate Sudbury's tyke and novice teams for winning their divisions as well as six nations for taking intermediate, innisfil in bantam and orangeville in midget.

I was able to take in a number of games and I must say I was impressed for the most part except for two glaring issues that in my opinion dampened the spirit of the weekend.

One would be after the six nations/nepean intermediate game that resulted in some property damage to the arena. Regardless of the intensity and hard feelings on the floor you should never desecrate public property. When the game is over leave it on the floor.

The other would be the actions of players from the orangeville midget team. More specifically their assistant captains.

There is no doubt that orangeville is always able to field a talented team and in my opinion they were the odds on favourite to take their division before the tournament began, but it is impossible to respect the way they play thanks to these select few.

Having seen a few of their games I noticed the same pattern in their game play. First, they had the talent and ball control skills to walk away with the game, then they either disagreed with a call or in the case of the championship game faced some adversity with Sudbury taking the lead and as a result their assistant captains started to whine and moan at every call that didn't go their way thus focusing more on the refs and antagonizing other players into trying to take penalties forgetting there was a game going on. This resulted in the games being a lot closer than they should have been. (I don't lump the captain in here as i never saw him once talk to the referees)

The worst offender of this was number 27. He plays in a very dirty game giving slashes long after the ball is gone and questioning every call minor or major that the refs made against orangeville. (He also has the stupidest running ability I've ever seen)

I admire the refs patience with this player and the other a's. I wouldn't have lasted as long without giving him/them at least a minor for unsportsmanlike conduct.

As a representative for your team (usually selected by teammates) I would have expected a hell of a lot more class than number 27 and the other 2 assistants showed. It's unfortunate that these are the players that orangeville has selected to represent the values of the team by putting letters on their chest.

Again, I don't want to lump the whole team in as I am sure there are a number of good hardworking kids and I give them credit for their performance in the tourney, but it's a damn shame that these few ruin what could be a great team. If we get players like that out of the game province wide, in my opinion games would be much more entertaining to watch. I do however give the coach some credit, while he was not always able to maintain an even temper he did his best to keep his players in check during the championship game.

I could move on to the disappointment in the comments made by some of the parents, but let's face it that is commonplace in any sport where people have no idea what the rules are.

Finally, in regards to players, I'd like to give credit to the sudbury midgets. They made that championship a whole lot more interesting than i thought it would be. Congrats on a good showing boys.

As for the officiating, while I may not have agreed with all the calls I think the majority of the officials did a hell of a job. My favourite call of the tournament had to be in the orangeville/Brantford shootout and the ref on the crease called back the first shot from brantford that went in due to the ball coming off the post, hitting the goalie and going back into the net. It's a tough call to make in that scenario and the Brantford coach nearly lost his mind with the call but I give that ref credit for explaining it to the shooter, goalie and then the bench. Kudos to him.

Thank you for critiquing our games. Our number 27 did have a serious foot injury and was taped up to a point where he could barely get his shoe on. He is an assistant because he plays with a ton of emotion, and at times during that game he did loose focus. You were watching a midget lacrosse game and at that age it comes with the age group. I watched a player on sudbury with a letter on his jersey get a 5 minute high sticking call that didn't look very sportsman like either.Did you miss that in your tournament scouting report .I thought both teams played very well to a close game. By no means am I saying that the player on sudbury was a bad player, i understand he was trying to play tough d. Dont get me wrong we are no angels. thank you sudbury for holding a good tournament. Please try to refrain from centering a minor lacrosse player out on an unofficial ola forum. He was talked to afterwords by the coaching staff.You aren't setting a very sportsman like example either as an adult.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:58 am #4

Can you provide some details with regards to the "arena damages".
Being involved with one of the intermediate teams mentioned, I was not made aware by the organizers, nor did I see any such indiscretions.
Clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:29 pm #5

in defence to number 27 he is a dirty kid but the runnng comment id uncsllrd for thr kid had to deal with a poped out hip and torn leggaments in his foot i am not an orrangeville parent but they nice people so watch what you say and the kid can score goals.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:54 pm #6

Thank you for critiquing our games. Our number 27 did have a serious foot injury and was taped up to a point where he could barely get his shoe on. He is an assistant because he plays with a ton of emotion, and at times during that game he did loose focus. You were watching a midget lacrosse game and at that age it comes with the age group. I watched a player on sudbury with a letter on his jersey get a 5 minute high sticking call that didn't look very sportsman like either.Did you miss that in your tournament scouting report .I thought both teams played very well to a close game. By no means am I saying that the player on sudbury was a bad player, i understand he was trying to play tough d. Dont get me wrong we are no angels. thank you sudbury for holding a good tournament. Please try to refrain from centering a minor lacrosse player out on an unofficial ola forum. He was talked to afterwords by the coaching staff.You aren't setting a very sportsman like example either as an adult.
go northmen!

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:05 pm #7

first of all 27 was injured the whole tournament and still made the players on the other teams look handicapped, also the other assistant captains 19 and 20 scored a large percent of the northmen's ginos. reffering in this tournament made numouros mistakes that where clearly visable.Orangeville defence more specifically 24 and 22 where mucking barns all weekend while they probably made a few kids **** themselves. (also the comments towards 27's running ability is uncalled for due to his diagnoses of a club foot) otherwise this was a good tournament and gold looks good on grey.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:30 pm #8

On behalf of Thunder Bay I would like to thank Sudbury for a very well organized tournament. We had a blast! Ok the refs weren't the best in my opinion. We reviewed the video (we made) and one goal was well after the period ended in our first game. The player still had the ball in his stick as the buzzer went, and our goalie stood up out of his crouch. Mistakes happen and we move on. We had fun, we learned and we bonded. What more could we ask for?
I would also like to thank the organizers for a great time and a well run tournament
We too had some very questionable reffing however in our case the scores were never close enough for it to have any effect

Muchos Gracias from the Innisfil Peewee team

Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:09 am #9

first of all 27 was injured the whole tournament and still made the players on the other teams look handicapped, also the other assistant captains 19 and 20 scored a large percent of the northmen's ginos. reffering in this tournament made numouros mistakes that where clearly visable.Orangeville defence more specifically 24 and 22 where mucking barns all weekend while they probably made a few kids **** themselves. (also the comments towards 27's running ability is uncalled for due to his diagnoses of a club foot) otherwise this was a good tournament and gold looks good on grey.
Just to set the record straight for all comments. I never said these boys, or the orangeville team wasn't talented. i did offer my congratulations to the team for their victory. Like I said I thought they were the favourites going in.

For the prior remarks from norsemen and sutton, most teams do tend to have a player who plays over that line and I do understand it comes with the hormonal age group. I played myself and I know there was more than one occasion where I wanted to slap one of my own teammates up the side of the head for doing something stupid. I wasn't offering a scouting report just a comment on how I saw some players conducting themselves and these boys stood out, in my opinion for the wrong reasons. Again not detracting from their talent, just saying they could definitely improve in how they/he represent themselves/himself/their town on the floor.

In retrospect my comment of the running ability was in bad taste so I do detract that. Kudos to him for playing through an injury. I also give credit to the coaches for speaking with these players afterwards. In my opinion it needed to be done.

I didn't make my post to offend, more to bring some things that I think are unfortunate to see in a great sport, and hopefully insight some change. More often than not people tend to be too afraid to say the tough thing and nothing changes, so again I credit the coaches which as was stated did speak to this player/(s) for his/their conduct after the game.

As for laxdad the damage was a broken light fixture in the dressing room area at coniston. I overheard this from one of the arena staff speaking with one of the refs from that weekend. I never saw the damage myself but it was unfortunate to hear.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:59 am #10

To sit here and read the misrepresented comments towards number 27, is uncalled for. Orangeville was just looking for an edge in the final game. They thought that the final hit was a game misconduct along with the major penalty. Yes 27 questioned calls, but show me a player or coach or fan that doesn't at times. Hey the main goal in any game is to try to let the teams play the game of lacrosse, until they push it to that next level then the refs do there job. Hey for all I like to say its easier for any coach or fan to see the game perched up 6 to 7 feet or more above floor level. But hey I'd love to see you at a refs clinic next year the ola is always looking for more refs.

On another note, the biggest disgrace of that tournment was the Toronto Star midget team, and the players trying to go after the Sudbury parents while 2 moms went at it in the lobby. Classy