nice Jr. Lakers fight

nice Jr. Lakers fight

Wed May 02, 2012 12:33 am #1

Wed May 02, 2012 2:21 am #2

Who cares. What was the score? n/m

Wed May 02, 2012 2:24 am #3

I have no idea on the score. Saw the video on ilindoor.com and thought some people might want to see it. Say what you want of fighting, but show me a fight where the fans did not go crazy and get on their feet. I guess it is just not for everybody. Also, the original posting on ilindoor did not report the score.

Wed May 02, 2012 3:09 am #4

Just because someone goes crazy and gets on his feet during the fight does not mean that there is any useful purpose in a fight. Staged and orchestrated fights like the video are quite pointless. The fight may be considered entertainment for some, but for others it is not the essence of lacrosse, and the game itself is the focus.

You are right, fighting is not for everyone, and some old timers may come out with the usual "patsy" comments for those of us who have matured and no longer embrace fisticuffs as an essential part of the game. However,in this day and age with all of the focus being on preventing head shots and preventing concussions, especially in our youth that is playing junior, can anyone really make a solid and logical argument for fighting to continue?

The OHL and other junior leagues are already looking to phase it out, and there is an informative article in the Globe about Bassin of the Erie Otters not allowing fighting in his training camp. The horrified responses from the parents of the wannabe goons made me chuckle and demonstrates on how ridiculous the need to allow fighting is.

I admit, I am embarassed to say this, I have watched a fight, I would be lying to say I turn my head when a scrap erupts, but really, the fighting serves little if any purpose and I find it difficult to justify its continued existence in the game. Further, in junior, these are still kids, some being 16 year olds tangling with a 20 year old, and that often can be a physical mis-match that can result in serious injury.

In any event, the yearly debate on the merits of fighting has now commenced, but unless the lacrosse leaders bury their collective heads in the sand, the notion of concussions and preventing head injuries is the topic de jour, and thus fighting becomes an issue. Interesting to see if the OLA follows the lead of the OHL.

Progress always moves at a slow pace, and many find it difficult to embrace change, but change does and will come. Again, the old timers will undoubtedly recall that the voluntary wearing of a helmet was frowned upon and the player considered a "sissy" or worse, yet helmets are now an accepted and mandatory piece of equipment.

Wed May 02, 2012 3:24 am #5

I have no idea on the score. Saw the video on ilindoor.com and thought some people might want to see it. Say what you want of fighting, but show me a fight where the fans did not go crazy and get on their feet. I guess it is just not for everybody. Also, the original posting on ilindoor did not report the score.
... "Say what you want of fighting, but show me a fight where the fans did not go crazy and get on their feet."

Maybe some of the fans go crazy for reasons other than what you are suggesting.

Wed May 02, 2012 3:25 am #6

Just because someone goes crazy and gets on his feet during the fight does not mean that there is any useful purpose in a fight. Staged and orchestrated fights like the video are quite pointless. The fight may be considered entertainment for some, but for others it is not the essence of lacrosse, and the game itself is the focus.

You are right, fighting is not for everyone, and some old timers may come out with the usual "patsy" comments for those of us who have matured and no longer embrace fisticuffs as an essential part of the game. However,in this day and age with all of the focus being on preventing head shots and preventing concussions, especially in our youth that is playing junior, can anyone really make a solid and logical argument for fighting to continue?

The OHL and other junior leagues are already looking to phase it out, and there is an informative article in the Globe about Bassin of the Erie Otters not allowing fighting in his training camp. The horrified responses from the parents of the wannabe goons made me chuckle and demonstrates on how ridiculous the need to allow fighting is.

I admit, I am embarassed to say this, I have watched a fight, I would be lying to say I turn my head when a scrap erupts, but really, the fighting serves little if any purpose and I find it difficult to justify its continued existence in the game. Further, in junior, these are still kids, some being 16 year olds tangling with a 20 year old, and that often can be a physical mis-match that can result in serious injury.

In any event, the yearly debate on the merits of fighting has now commenced, but unless the lacrosse leaders bury their collective heads in the sand, the notion of concussions and preventing head injuries is the topic de jour, and thus fighting becomes an issue. Interesting to see if the OLA follows the lead of the OHL.

Progress always moves at a slow pace, and many find it difficult to embrace change, but change does and will come. Again, the old timers will undoubtedly recall that the voluntary wearing of a helmet was frowned upon and the player considered a "sissy" or worse, yet helmets are now an accepted and mandatory piece of equipment.
Well said

Wed May 02, 2012 10:20 am #7

Who cares. What was the score? n/m
nm

Wed May 02, 2012 12:21 pm #8

A very well-written commentary !!!!

Wed May 02, 2012 12:47 pm #9

She:kon!

"Interesting to see if the OLA follows the lead of the OHL."

What "lead" of the OHL - a lot of hot air?  The OHL has been blathering along about fighting for years and it is still the same game. 

So long as fighting is part of the pro game, it will be part of the Jr. game in either sport.  Besides, fighting is against the rules - just like slashing, hacking and other cheap shots - and there are penalties for those things.  Right?

While I am not a fan of fighting in general, I am no fan of cheap and dirty play, especially when the target of such play are the stars of the other teams.  Enforcers, goons, tough guys - whatever you want to call them - keep things a little more honest if they are doing their job properly.  Take them out of the game and the real dangerous players take over, such as what is happening in the NHL.

Long live Dave Semenko, who helped the Great One be so Great.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Wed May 02, 2012 1:00 pm #10

Even greater.