new rules

This forum is now archived. Please post OLA Masters info in the Unofficial OLA Fan Forum.

new rules

Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:53 pm #1

I played this weekend in Halton's one day tourney, 9 senior and 1 junior team involved, played two games and watched three others , this is what i noticed

face offs - need a clear definition of what is allowed and what is going to be called as procedure. It was a full day of procedure calls on all the teams. i would say 30-40% of the faceoffs had procedure calls.

shots from anywhere - someone is going to be seriously injured this year, in the games I was involved in and the games i watched, at least 8 players got hit with shots , two were to the head and a host of others to the players chest. If this rule stays in, someone is going to get hurt this year , the ball still travels at considerable speed and the players on every team have very little protection. Over a full weekend of lacrosse junior and senior games i wouldn't hazard a guess at how many injuries we will see.

p.s thanks to Halton for a well run day

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:13 am #2

Face off rules are simple, draw it straight back. If your stick is turned over anywhere in the circle it should be called. Lots of guys were still trapping and I'd say your 30-40% number is actually a lot lower than it should have been.

I think we'll see as we go on that players get smarter about where then they shoot. It was a little bit new so I think some teams were a bit trigger happy, but as things go on I think 2 things will happen:

1. Shooters will get better at picking their spots.

2. Guys playing defence won't keep standing in the middle.

One of the things I noticed were some of the guys who got hit were standing in the middle of the dotted area and not covering anyone.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:34 pm #3

I played this weekend in Halton's one day tourney, 9 senior and 1 junior team involved, played two games and watched three others , this is what i noticed

face offs - need a clear definition of what is allowed and what is going to be called as procedure. It was a full day of procedure calls on all the teams. i would say 30-40% of the faceoffs had procedure calls.

shots from anywhere - someone is going to be seriously injured this year, in the games I was involved in and the games i watched, at least 8 players got hit with shots , two were to the head and a host of others to the players chest. If this rule stays in, someone is going to get hurt this year , the ball still travels at considerable speed and the players on every team have very little protection. Over a full weekend of lacrosse junior and senior games i wouldn't hazard a guess at how many injuries we will see.

p.s thanks to Halton for a well run day
I was supposed to play in Halton. As a goalie I love shots from all over instead of every one coming from 4-6 ft away. Please explain how we can play in native tournaments with shots from all over, and during the course of a weekend, 3 full days, maybe three people get hit, and not for injuries. Pretty sure the rule says if a lane is open. Pretty obvious by the reports it was not.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:04 pm #4

Under the old rule you needed a clear lane to shoot from outside, now you don't. The only difference is the penalty for hitting a guy with a shot has increased to a 4 minute unreleasable penalty (counting as 2 of your 3 minor penalties).

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:16 am #5

Face off rules are simple, draw it straight back. If your stick is turned over anywhere in the circle it should be called. Lots of guys were still trapping and I'd say your 30-40% number is actually a lot lower than it should have been.

I think we'll see as we go on that players get smarter about where then they shoot. It was a little bit new so I think some teams were a bit trigger happy, but as things go on I think 2 things will happen:

1. Shooters will get better at picking their spots.

2. Guys playing defence won't keep standing in the middle.

One of the things I noticed were some of the guys who got hit were standing in the middle of the dotted area and not covering anyone.
Derek, you are close on the drawing. You are not required to keep your stick straight up and down when completing the draw. The intent of the rule is that your first motion on a draw must be back towards your body. You are allowed to cover the ball with your stick so long as you are making an attempt to draw the ball out. You cannot trap and hold, you may trap and pull. You are not allowed to check your opponent's stick like you are in Box lacrosse so if you are able to cover the ball with your stick and draw it back, you would be able to pick the ball up. This still leaves a measure of creativity for the drawmen.

Gord

Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:50 pm #6

thanks Gord

i can tell you that in Halton the calls were quite clear. If the stick covers the ball while in the circle , they blew it dead and called possesion for trapping. it did not matter if it was a continous motion.

my interpretation based on the calls in Halton are, If a player's stick covers the ball at any point inside the faceoff circle , it is called as a trap and possession awarded to the other team

Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:11 pm #7

Under the old rule you needed a clear lane to shoot from outside, now you don't. The only difference is the penalty for hitting a guy with a shot has increased to a 4 minute unreleasable penalty (counting as 2 of your 3 minor penalties).
Derek

I agree with your points on the outside shooting , players moving away from the net etc , my concern is that until this learning curve takes place, guys are going to continue to get hit.
I know guys got hit in previous years but you didn't have to concern yourself with someone winding up from outside and dropping the shot into a crowd or hooking it wildly into and unsuspecting defender.

It just seems odd that over 2 years the changes to the game were in order to add to the safety level, (facemasks, ear pcs, and chin cups etc.) This rule seems to fly in the face of all the changes that were made for safety/insurance purposes.

One of the benefits and appeal of Masters lacrosse was that you could play an entire weekend and have almost no concern over being injured,I wonder is this still the case?

one other note , i did see some goals from outside but the majority of the scoring in the games I saw was still from the dotted line in.

thanks

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:07 pm #8

Derek, you are close on the drawing. You are not required to keep your stick straight up and down when completing the draw. The intent of the rule is that your first motion on a draw must be back towards your body. You are allowed to cover the ball with your stick so long as you are making an attempt to draw the ball out. You cannot trap and hold, you may trap and pull. You are not allowed to check your opponent's stick like you are in Box lacrosse so if you are able to cover the ball with your stick and draw it back, you would be able to pick the ball up. This still leaves a measure of creativity for the drawmen.

Gord
You had to pull it straight back, no turning your stick over.

In terms of trapping and pulling out in the same instance, that's what most guys did anyways (in past years), they'd try for the trap and if they got it they'd pull back.

Most guys don't try and clamp and sit there, it ends up that way because the other draw man is fighting against you.

The problem with the pull and trap is this:

Whoever traps first is going to win, so both guys start trapping right off the bat.

In a pull back and trap, how far do you have to pull back before you can trap? 1 inch, 6 inches?